New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 lapua action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My youngest son has decided he needs a 338, what actions are suitable for this cartridge?

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1502 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
CZ 550, Savage, AR-30, Deviant, and many others. I had an AR-30 that was great but I got bored with it and sold it. I have a barrel off an AR-30 here in .338 Lapua if your interested.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
BAT Machine.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will suggest an alternative to get what he wants with less drama; the 338 RUM; essentially the same as the Lapua but can be put on a 700 Remington. I do that ILO paying for a larger action. Actually Remington put/puts, the Lapua on a regular 700.
I have the first AR30 made; it is a good rifle. Big though.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I will suggest an alternative to get what he wants with less drama; the 338 RUM; essentially the same as the Lapua but can be put on a 700 Remington. I do that ILO paying for a larger action. Actually Remington put/puts, the Lapua on a regular 700.

Or 338 Edge which is 338/300 RUM Imp.

Personally, if I have to have expensive brass, the inconvenience of the large rim size I would go 338/378 every time. 338 Lapua only gives RUM case capacity.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right. Most people think the lapua is a huge case but it isn’t. I actually use the same loads in both rum and lapua just to keep it simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right. Most people think the lapua is a huge case but it isn’t. I actually use the same loads in both rum and lapua just to keep it simple.

Uh, Mr dpcd, thet are BOTH HUGE! LOL ...but you'r 100% correct.

I use the RUM and my buddy uses the Lapua. They're freaking twins in performance!
My 26" barrel and his 28" barrel attain the exact same velocities with the same bullet.

Like we always say: come on AR and ask for the best chicken dinner in town and we'll tell you where to buy a steak! LOL

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, they are both a big large; the point is, that many people think the Lap is a lot bigger than anything else similar; not the case. Get it?, case. It's a pun.
Also the point is that, the back thrust is less, and the radial area is less, on the RUM/EDGE; anyone can PM me if you want the math.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

Or 338 Edge which is 338/300 RUM Imp.

Personally, if I have to have expensive brass, the inconvenience of the large rim size I would go 338/378 every time. 338 Lapua only gives RUM case capacity.

I prefer the edge myself. A 338 Papua on a 700 action just doesn't seem smart.....to me anyway.....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had two Edges and two Lapuas. DPCD is right in that there isn't much difference between the two; my Edge M70 shoots 300 Bergers at 2820; my Stiller Lapua shoots 285 ELDs the same speed. My Savage Lapua shoots 285 ELDs at 2750. Both Lapuas like 88 grains Retumbo; the difference in velocity is barrel length. My other Edge only shot 2650 with 300 Bergers; it is a Stiller action and had a Lilja bbl. It was about a 3/4 MOA rifle at 500 yards; sometimes better, sometimes about 1 MOA. Just had Bryan Blake rebarrel it to 28 Nosler. Love his barrels.

The one advantage the Lapua has is that the case is shorter, giving you more OAL optionality. The big negative is the single stack magazine that necessitates a sep mag box that is unsightly.

Just based on a sample size of two each (which isn't worth much), I would say the Lapua is more accurate than the Edge, but only because my Lilja bbl Edge wasn't as good as the Savage factory Lapua or my Brux/Stiller Lapua. The M70 has a Benchmark bbl and shoots 1/2 MOA at 500.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I would say the Lapua is more accurate than the Edge,

On Australia' biggest guns/hunting forum, which is more active than AR, it is the opposite with the 338 Edge for accuracy.

However, I would say that is very much due to the shooter/owner of the 338 Edge. The 338 Lapua owners tend to be far less knowledgeable and tend to think of the 338 Lapua as the biggest, baddest etc. and that has been the attraction.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong Smiler but I don't think the 338 Lapua gets much of run in the long range target stuff and when it does it is 338 Lapua Improved and 30/338 Lapua Improved.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I would say the Lapua is more accurate than the Edge,

On Australia' biggest guns/hunting forum, which is more active than AR, it is the opposite with the 338 Edge for accuracy.

However, I would say that is very much due to the shooter/owner of the 338 Edge. The 338 Lapua owners tend to be far less knowledgeable and tend to think of the 338 Lapua as the biggest, baddest etc. and that has been the attraction.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong Smiler but I don't think the 338 Lapua gets much of run in the long range target stuff and when it does it is 338 Lapua Improved and 30/338 Lapua Improved.

I would also guess more Edge shooters are using custom builds and custom actions - that certainly helps. And like I said, I have only owned two of each - not much of a sample size.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would also guess more Edge shooters are using custom builds and custom actions

That is definitely the case in Australia.

In Australia the 338 Lapua has what we call a higher wankerism factor Big Grin

Don't know about America but police in Australia seem to have no idea. In a couple of our states you can't own a 338 Lapua but in those same states you can own a 30/378 or 338/378. Of course with factory ammo the velocity difference between the 338 Lapua and 338/378 becomes even greater. That Wby ammo goes fast. A while ago on that same forum one of the blokes has a 300 Wby and 300 RUM but had only ever used new brass but out of curiosity got some 180 grain factory ammo for each. The 300 Wby was a bit faster than the 300 RUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I would also guess more Edge shooters are using custom builds and custom actions

That is definitely the case in Australia.

In Australia the 338 Lapua has what we call a higher wankerism factor Big Grin

Don't know about America but police in Australia seem to have no idea. In a couple of our states you can't own a 338 Lapua but in those same states you can own a 30/378 or 338/378. Of course with factory ammo the velocity difference between the 338 Lapua and 338/378 becomes even greater. That Wby ammo goes fast. A while ago on that same forum one of the blokes has a 300 Wby and 300 RUM but had only ever used new brass but out of curiosity got some 180 grain factory ammo for each. The 300 Wby was a bit faster than the 300 RUM

I shot my M70 Edge at 800 and 1195 yesterday. One shot at each, didn't check the bullet impact at 800 until after I shot both. Had good mirage indication, which helps a ton. Held 2 MOA W and 15.5 M from my 200 Z; hit about 4 inches from dead center to the right. At 1195 my SIG said 2.25 MOA W based on my wind read, but I held 3 W and 28.75 E (what the SIG said). Hit 1.5 inches low from center but 7" to the left. Bummer. The last two times I shot my Stiller/Brux Lapua at 1195 I hit the 3 inch circle twice (two different days), including a 4 MOA wind hold (but obviously can't do that every time).

Really, the 28N w 195 Bergers, 300 RUM with 225 ELDs, Edge and Lapua with either 300 Bergers or 285 ELDs are all in a class by themselves. Easy to buy an accurate build.

I shoot my .308 Win at 500 yards a lot, in fact more than any rifle, but I don't even bother shooting at 800 anymore; wind drift is horrendous. Kind of like trying to shoot my fav .223 at 500 with 55 grain SPs; not easy.