New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeweled bolt. Why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A sales guy in a store told me yesterday a jeweled bolt is smoother and functions better as a result. Is that true? I'd figured it was just cosmetic.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st clue, "sales guy in a gun shop told me....."

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why I figured I would ask somebody else. Sometimes things are true for reasons other than what people assume.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jeweling is polishing - spot polishing, but polishing none the less.

it ensures the entire bolt is polished, as the pattern makes it obvious, as well as the wear

i think it is attractive, and would be just as functional if just smoothly polished ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The surface holds oil better for less rust.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
he surface holds oil better for less rust.

Other than for looks that it holds oil better was the plus I've always "heard". Never seen actually testing etc.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Generally jeweling does feel smoother and glides with a little less resistance. But it quickly wears off the impact points, looks like hell and feels just like it would if it was unturned. The broken and uneven surface does hold oil better, just like a bead blast or a rough polish does. It does look nice, if that your thing, but it never lasts long.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It looks nice with a thick high gloss wood deep shiny blue and white spacers Wink

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
It looks nice with a thick high gloss wood deep shiny blue and white spacers Wink

And black and white pearl, double diamond inlays. Don't forget black and white pearl, double diamond inlays. Ted ! ! ! !

Actually, I have seen the entire insides of some double rifle locks that were jeweled in 1/10th engine turning and then rhodium plated. They actually looked diamond encrusted. Those things looked like something that Rolex or Breitling might have done on their days off and despite the age, they had narry a spec of rust. Mind you, no one but the gunsmith that pulled it apart for cleaning ever saw it.

Smiler

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Someone posted here years back that nothing says trailer trash, like a jeweled bolt. LMAO, I thought, he's right. It's flash with no real purpose.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess nothing says tacky like a Griffin & Howe.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sworls tend to hold oil. Oil means slicker travel
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It's about the same effect as fluted barrels.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolt jeweling used to be an almost essential part of a custom rifle build. Like checkering, it is a tedious task (requiring somewhat less skill IMO) but the results are gratifying. I have seen a lot of jeweled bolts on rifles by well respected classic makers. I like the appearance and when the texture is right, smoothness seems to be enhanced. A much classier embellishment than fluting a bolt IMO. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still get call for it Billy but I seldom do it after customers hear the price. It used to be that every custom gun and a lot of factory stuff was jeweled on the bolt and sometimes in the bolt ways as well back in the 60s. I think those silly slavery and child labor laws may have had something to do with it's demise.

Smiler LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

The fluting of a rifles barrel can be considered cosmetic, however that is not its purpose. A barrel is merely a tube with an inner diameter and an outer diameter, and like all tubing can flex longitudinally. The purpose of fluting is to cut a series of grooves that actually add a resistance to that longitudinal flexing of the barrel, thus changing barrel harmonics and improving accuracy. So the fluting of barrels is not merely a cosmetic feature. I would imagine as a 'smith you would understand that.

And as for the original question, jeweling (or engine turning) of the bolt is cosmetic, yet it does retain oil a little better.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Fluting a barrel only accomplishes two things

Reduction of weight....A thinner barrel does this better but you lose stiffness in the thinner tube

You can "go up" a notch in contour and then flute to get a tube that weighs similar to the next step down

Looks good to those who like it

The "adds stiffness" is a myth that I have put to test myself with a bench vise, a tape measure and a 50 lb fish sale

Fluting adds nothing

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to hear from an old English actioner as to why they bothered to jewel the inside of "best" actions. Maybe there is a little less friction ? or maybe it's because it holds sperm whale oil better ?

There must have been some reason other than bling that they did the locks on this Wesley Richards drop lock.

The locks on the Zoli are nitrided for rust and wear resistance

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It is for lube holding ability

On all the moving parts of our molds that are not gas nitride pins we cut or grind grease grooves to hold lube and allow trash a place to settle rather than gaul up

Many years ago "1986" when I was a very young apprentice an older EDM opperator had this ultra cool oak Gershwin tool chest....green felt lined with many hand made tools that all had been jeweled

All for show in his case though as it wears off with use in a shop environment but man oh man did it ever look sharp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

The "adds stiffness" is a myth that I have put to test myself with a bench vise, a tape measure and a 50 lb fish sale

Fluting adds nothing

Cutting 1/4 inch flutes a 1 inch barrel actually reduces stiffness because you are removing material which contributes to stiffness. Fluting a barrel only adds stiffness if you take a 1 inch diameter tube and add 1/4 inch flutes to either side to make a 1-1/2 inch barrel. You have added material which adds stiffness and you have altered it geometrically which adds stiffness because of the larger diameter.

If you want to take advantage of fluting you have to consider what the finished weight will be, what the minimum barrel length must be and then incorporate flutes into the design to displace material so that the barrel comes out to weight and length while using the flutes to give you the largest diameter of barrel that you can geometrically design. Then you have a purpose for fluting.

Just running deep scratches down the side of your barrel accomplishes nothing. It may cool quicker to an engineer, but to a hunter or bench rest shooter it offers nothing real and because you have removed material you actually make the barrel less stiff. All it really does is look cool and stiff.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met this guy at a rifle shoot in Ohio several years ago. All of his barrels were fluted. He said they shot more accurately after they were fluted. His name was Tony Boyer.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Only way I can see a fluted barrel "adds stiffness" is when it is compared to a barrel of the same weight. Adding flues allows you to start with a larger dia barrel cut some flutes then have a barrel weight equal to a smaller taper.

Does it actually make it stiffer? Don't have a clue. I do "recall" that was how it was originally explained. Kind of like the original 400 Whelen. Details got lost in the numerous times the story was retold.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
So, I guess then if adding metal helps in stability an integral rib must help in theory.?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Only way I can see a fluted barrel "adds stiffness" is when it is compared to a barrel of the same weight. Adding flues allows you to start with a larger dia barrel cut some flutes then have a barrel weight equal to a smaller taper.

In theory it does make sense. In my mind it is similar to the use of I-beams in buildings.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

In theory it does make sense. In my mind it is similar to the use of I-beams in buildings.

In theory, if one added another I beam, in between each of the I beams, would it not get stiffer yet?

Also, If memory serves, Ruark died at age 49 of liver sclerosis. Obviously brought on by too many gin & tonics and prescription opioids, which were used to temper too many aggravating delays which were cause by waiting for too many Jeeps to be dug out of pigholes while on safari with Selby.

Smiler LMAO ROFF

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "benefits" of barrel fluting bring to mind the same of cryo-treating and moly coating.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This is all way above my pay grade. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very well executed fine pattern jewelling if find quite ok.
much preferably with the spot swirls having a more reserved slight satin appearance, rather than the more blingy highly polished.

None the less I've seen some rather superbly executed jewelling on bolts that brought the metal up quite bright,
Yet i remained rather impressed regarding the actual quality of the finished job.

a bolt looking something like this is acceptable to me;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-g4xQ..._8CY/s1600/AA039.JPG

These days id likely skip the idea of putting it on the bolt and instead just have the follower jewelled.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ramrod340:

In theory, if one added another I beam, in between each of the I beams, would it not get stiffer yet?

And that is exactly the theory. A bundle of "I" beams is much stronger than a tube by itself.

Regarding the fish scale and all, there is a vast difference between grabbing a barrel in a vise and pulling on it with a fish scale and the bullet traveling down the barrel. The flutes do lend structural rigidity to the barrel. That is simple physics and proven on countless mechanical structures. If some of you want to dis-believe that, that is your right, but you are incorrect mathematically speaking.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one had two identical dimension plain tube barrels,
and one then fluted one, but left the other unaltered,
the unaltered barrel would be more flex resistant.

- a solid form can only be stiffer than the same form which has then been skeletonised/fluted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uhhh.. How about this theory.. I know it's old and out of date.. But here goes..

How about pride in CRAFTSMANSHIP..

Much as the same of the old school toolmaker and his oak box..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think plain bolts look...well...plain. But then again, I am the guy that thinks ebony forend tips are also boring and without imagination. Although Jim Kobe's widows peak looks very nice, indeed.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MopaneMike:
Uhhh.. How about this theory.. I know it's old and out of date.. But here goes..

How about pride in CRAFTSMANSHIP..

In the world of premier traditional mechanical calibre watch making, the machined finish is far from dead.
The horology industry continue to take extreme pride in their level of detailed finish-craftmanship.

MY favourite brand & model,.. Patek 5085.

...On the surface its just an everyday use polished stainless case:

http://www.ewristwatch.net/07/patek5085sample.jpg

closer detail of the 240 calibre with 22-carat rotor:

http://www.hautetime.com/wp-co...2013/11/240_img3.jpg

HQ jewelling is not a waste of time or money, if the owner appreciates having it on his bespoke rifle
or bespoke watch.

Modern magnum mauser with jewelling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think a jeweled bolt looks nice, although I think only 2-3 of my rifles have it (and only one of the high end ones...)

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh Toomany Tools, you beat me to the punch on that one lol!

I was gonna say it, but I thought I'd better not do any shit stir ing

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
1st clue, "sales guy in a gun shop told me....."
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
If one had two identical dimension plain tube barrels,
and one then fluted one, but left the other unaltered,
the unaltered barrel would be more flex resistant.

- a solid form can only be stiffer than the same form which has then been skeletonised.

And where did you receive you're engineering degree? I don't have one myself, but I agree with those that do.

Edit 4/29/15

And apparently I was mis-informed and incorrect. My apologies.

http://www.snipercountry.com/a...itsbarrelfluting.asp

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I always thought that the purpose of a fluted barrel was to increase the surface area which in turn would allow the barrel to theoretically cool faster.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Might cool faster but with less mass it will heat faster

btw.....two identical tubes....same o-d....same i-d....same length
....same material

cut flutes is one not the other

topic of discussion today with the engineering department

Flutes change harmonics.....yes

Flutes make tube stiffer....no