New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 100 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Always loved this gun and just bought a great looking Pre 64 model. Any tips on making it a reliable 150 yard pig hunting gun? Cleaning routine? Specific ammo? Modifications?
Thanks
lb

one of us
posted Hide Post
They had a recall on them years ago, not sure what for, and like the mod 88 the trigger isn't very good. Used to be someone in California, Rogue River I think, that did trigger jobs.
Brownells sells a piston replacement for them.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gave my grandson my 88 in .308 years ago and it has been magic for him. 150 grain cup and core bullet and you will be set.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Need to be careful with the Model 100 and ensure the piston is kept cleaned and lubed. If the piston seizes, you cannot get the barreled action out of the stock.

I don't have experience with them myself but my father who did a lot of gunsmithing in his day had one come into him in this state and did finally manage to separate the metal from the wood without damaging anything and unseize the piston but from memory it was an involved operation. The owner went away with a stern warning to clean his rifle regularly.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firing pin recall. I forget how to check if it has been done or not. As for the trigger, I had malm rework the trigger on my 88 years ago and it was a night and day difference. He got it at 3.5# and crisp. Not sure who you would use these days.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Firing pin recall. I forget how to check if it has been done or not. As for the trigger, I had malm rework the trigger on my 88 years ago and it was a night and day difference. He got it at 3.5# and crisp. Not sure who you would use these days.
Don

Call Winchester. They keep a record of the ones done. They won't do the work anymore but if you have one that hasn't had the recall work done to it they will send you a new firing pin for free of charge.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Mine was super sensitive to temperature changes.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your information and recommendations.

lb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nu-Line guns will work on them. They're doing the recall/warranty work on them too.

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked on Win 100's about 30 yrs ago when we were a warranty center for Win. Two things to watch for is the trigger will release sometimes with a light finger pull and shoot full auto. A gunsmith working with us was Lou Williamson and he could make almost any Win 100 fire full auto. Clean after every time you fire these rifles before storing in a cabinet. The problem with extraction is due to the locking bolt having a very hard and small extractor which will ware out the locking bolt beyond use. I believe that the gage for checking the slot was .055 thick. If it was a no go we replaced the locking bolt with new ones. Their was several sizes available so you could find one to headspace properly. When the extractor fails to pull a case out you can bet that the bolt has too much play for the extractor.

The Win 88 never seemed to have the locking bolt extracting problem.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srt:
like the mod 88 the trigger isn't very good. Used to be someone in California, Rogue River I think, that did trigger jobs.

I believe the man who did the triggers at Rogue River was Norm Bridger. He works(or worked) at his family's sporting goods store in California. Kyler Hammond knows him and the store he works out of.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote