New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feedback? Richards Microfit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I stumble into a couple of Mauser sporter barreled actions.
They are definitely worth stocking. I have made over 100 stocks. I expect that any stock blank I am sent is capable of being inletted with no gaps.
I would order the old Classic #102. In the past I have had bad luck with Richards. How are they doing today?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bad Luck? I have used Richards off and on since 1970 when me and Roger were building rifles at WVU (They frown on that now) I used Herter's J and U9s.
. I have never got a bad one and always better wood than expected.
Not sure what guys expect; they are semi inletted and require hand work.
Now, they have installed a new CNC machine and offer some drop in fits; I got 3 of them recently; two for Enfield and one Mauser and they are very good; not sloppy and some hand work is required but not much. I usually get the Old Classic. Sometimes Modern Classic.

Posts: 17067 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried them once. Back then I mostly used Fajen, Western gunstock in California or planks. The one I got had the action and barrel inlets pointing different directions. The but stock end had two spur drive impressions. I call them a few years ago an the person on the phone did not know anything about gunstocks.

Thus I ask a sincere question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Bad Luck? I have used Richards off and on since 1970 when me and Roger were building rifles at WVU (They frown on that now) I used Herter's J and U9s.
Now, they have installed a new CNC machine and offer some drop in fits; I got 3 of them recently; two for Enfield and one Mauser and they are very good; not sloppy and some hand work is required but not much. I usually get the Old Classic. Sometimes Modern Classic.

Tom, I hope they have made a good change. Their wood looks nice, but the ones I bought looked like Bucky Beaver chewed them out.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had them duplicate a piece of my own wood and they messed it up royally!

I had to cut the mag box way down or the bottom metal would have been proud. I had to remove so much so that the tip of the trigger had to be trimmed down to fit the trigger guard bow. Mag box is now good for 2 rounds of WSM instead of 3.

I made it all work but was still a shit show when I called and they pretended not to know anything about gunstocks.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always interesting when one person has extensive good experience, and everyone else has reservations. Don't know how companies operate that way.

My own experience with them is I ordered a P14/1917 stock without the safety area cut out, as the receiver was modified to a Lapour 3 position, and no side safety. I asked them to just block out that area and not cut it, I could work with whatever they left there. Twice, they shipped me a standard inlet stock, even after they called me and acknowledged the special no safety cut instructions. They wouldn't try a third time, just sent my money back.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I definitely recommend you guys avoid them. Come over and I will show you some from them, recent ones. I have also had them do custom changes, like leave out the P17 safety cut; No issues. True, the girl on the phone is not totally knowledgable. For some reason, some people attract disfunction and others attract positive things.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they are okay - though in the early 2ks, i had to build my own pantograph as i couldn't wait 1/2 year plus for long stocks

they are fine for a semi custom sporter

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38421 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used a bunch over the years. never had a problem with the actual stocks, i guess i expected to have to work on them. the thing that bothered me with them is the time involved to get anything

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The PLT is about 8 weeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so where else to go for a semi inletted blank or rough shaped stock?

Posts: 1051 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I expect to finish inletting and shaping the stock. When they remove wood necessary for making a quality stock I have problems. I do not patch new wood.

Sounds like the consensus is to not use them.

Any other ideas? Boyd's is now way to expensive for what you get. Others I used to use are gone. I only want a started classic bolt action stock. I expect to remove a bunch of wood and finish the inletting.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do you have the wood?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of wood........

I guess what I am looking for is an old boyds or herters type of thing to bang out a saleable rifle without too much fuss. Those stocks had lots of extra wood and the worst of the inletting was mostly done. That made it it fast to make a nice semi-custom sporter without too much fuss.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about some pictures ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here are 3 I just got. I got the 99% drop in, in the semi fancy grade. I dropped a random 98 receiver into one in the picture; it needs about .035 removed to sit all the way in. The Enfields fit similarly.
HOWEVER, do not buy anything, based on what I say. Some guys can never be satisfied. You are on your own; just because I always get good stocks does not mean anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock on top, is it the old classic ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Top two are Old Classic and bottom one that is finished is the modern classic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I could try Richards again.

The barreled action to do first is a 1924 Serbian Mauser. The overall length of the action is 8 1/2" and the spacing for the action screws is 7 5/8". The ring is 1.4".

Is that "standard" large ring or something weird?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes you have the wierd one; the 24 Yugo. Intermediate length. Standard length is, .2 longer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered two Mauser stocks from Richards yesterday, both laminated.

One is a Std M98, in their Cascade sporter style

The other is a intermediate Yugo 24, in the # 102 old classic but with a Left Hand cheek piece

Will report once I get them.

J Wisner

Posts: 1419 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just ordered two Mauser stocks from Richards yesterday, both laminated.

One is a Std M98, in their Cascade sporter style

The other is a intermediate Yugo 24, in the # 102 old classic but with a Left Hand cheek piece

Will report once I get them.

J Wisner

popcorn

Craftsman

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't get the popcorn cartoon. Just me I guess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just interested in seeing how something turns out.

Craftsman

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in general, it means "i am just going to watch this"

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38421 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a Richard's since they started the new CNC, but I always got better than expected wood. They always required a good bit of fitting, but it is better to have material that needs removed and not need material added on!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I see now. Well it will be at least 8 weeks lead time so that is a lot of popcorn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't bought a Richard's since they started the new CNC

That changes everything regarding my doubts about them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was think about getting one of them. I asked my “well known” gunsmith who would glass bed it for me. He said, “not no, but hell no.”

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2630 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The ones who won't use them need to sell fully custom rifles at $10K each; Richards are not for that market.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the only thing I would use a Richards stock for: It "might" work for making a Pattern stock but one would probably go broke buying acraglas to fill the voids

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Come down and I will show you 3 I just got; no voids to fill. I get it that the top custom makers don't like them (or any other machine made stock); that is not the market they are for. I posted a picture above; that is the max voids in the ones I have. Look at the picture; that gap is not what the top custom guys will do, but, it doesn't cost $5 K either.
These are for the guys who can't afford a (fill in your favorite stock maker here) price.
I have zero stake in the matter either way; I just report facts as I, currently, and personally, see them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one a long time ago, It didn't show up and my cc was never charged, 2 or 3 years later it showed, no explanation, nada, and it was the an awesome piece of English, it did have light gaping, so I glassed it and gave it to my son, who liked it..It was fine for a using gun but not something Id sell for a custom rifle..but IMO any custom rifle should come from a wood blank...and in some cases its ok to send your pattern stock to a good stylist, most guild members do, some even deny it! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41783 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An update to this thread.

On Jan 5th I mailed my order to Richards.

The order slip I got later shows they wrote up my order on Jan 18th.

I called and talked to a woman the middle of March which would have been at the 9 week mark, she told me yes they have my order and it would be a couple more weeks before it was ready to ship.

I emailed them the 3rd of May asking for a update, took 3 days for a response, and it was simply I would receive a invoice by email and the stocks will ship on 5/7

Yesterday 5/13 the stocks arrived.

The inletting is done by some type of CNC, I can see the tool paths top and bottom in the inletting, the out side has been rough sanded, with like a 40 grit flap wheel, or rasped to remove as much as the outside tool marks.

Will be a week or so before I have time to start the inletting work, then will be able to see how much extra wood there is on the out side

Also got a note on the invoice ( that was with the stocks ) that was dated Jan 18th, that I under paid $ 4 for the shipping cost

16 weeks since they wrote the order up and until they shipped them

The wood looks good, what I have measured in the inletting is undersize enough to clean up, extra wood on the outside in places.
Good thing I was not in a hurry

J Wisner

Posts: 1419 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes their lead time is rather long; what is the alternative and I will use them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered 4 stocks from them on April 2 with a quoted lead time of 8 to 10 weeks. I made the order over the phone. The lady told me that they would bill my credit card two weeks prior to the stocks being done. My credit card was billed last week. So maybe I will get the stocks next week. I checked their website and they are now stating 6 to 8 week lead time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good fit is just a bit of accu-glass away.

Posts: 19333 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How many have you used in the past 3 years? The ones I get now are not oversized at all; the old ones pre CNC, actually needed .010-.020 of wood removed to get a perfect fit. Have used them since 1970.
Of course the only true custom stock MUST be made directly from the blank with NO machine tools used in it's construction. Just as Ray envisions.
Anything less is not a true stock.
However, that is not what these stocks are for, and they don't cost $8K either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Helen at Richards that my stocks are shipping next week.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good; did you get the CNC or the pantographed ones?
IE, 99% or 95%?
Some of their pattern offerings are not in their CNC machine so they use a hard pattern. Like a Siamese Mauser, can't get in 99%.
We expect a full report.