Find
Notify
Tools

Original .223 ruger Mini 14
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
FrownerAt the range yesterday my cousin's Mini 14 jammed. The bolt could move but the operating rod would not. Had to open it with a hammer. If allowed to slam forward again it jammed but the bolt was loose.This was one of the first of these carbines and since have changed to the point that Ruger says they can not repair as they have no parts.They suggested viewing a field strip video they have and totally clean all parts and go from there.
Have any of you guys had any experience with one of these first production Mini 14s? If so what can you offer to solve this problem ? Confusedroger beer Thanks

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The bolt was a loss? What does that mean?
The only issue I have had with these is the operating rod rusting around the piston; the gas cylinder is inside of the operating rod.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
So the bolt is loose in the gun but the op rod is tight?

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Loss or did you mean Loose? If so, my answer stands.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What series Mini 180 181 ect first three of the serial number

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be crud on the piston, slide assembly, and guide rod. Disassembly, cleaning and lubrication would be in order.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Ma...ies-39655.htm?page=2

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
So the bolt is loose in the gun but the op rod is tight?

WinkCorrect. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The bolt was a loss? What does that mean?

It means I'm a poor spelller. popcornroger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
What series Mini 180 181 ect first three of the serial number

old It's a 180 Serial# 38896. beer roger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedAnyone else?? fishingroger