THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser Ejection issue- Video added 21/3 Update 8 June
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Ejection issue- Video added 21/3 Update 8 June
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Right through the poor bugger's head? Seriously? Wow. We forget the immense pressures we unleash when we fire a rifle.

I'd bet a big mac that a stumble f...reloader is the cause of most "immense pressures" followed by the inability to read head stamps. "Life is tough when you're stupid" (John Wayne)

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Severe over pressures have occurred on all designs of rifles, severe injury and death are rare. I saw the results of a young man that screwed up and put 93gr of Norma 200 under a 140gr bullet in a Mark V last fall, he's lucky to be alive the bolt was surgically removed from his face, and that's a Mark V supposedly super strong.
Caliber: 6.5 x 300 Weatherby, upon firing the case head simply melted under super intense pressure dumping a large volume of expanding gases into the front ring which expanded the front ring enough to allow all 9 of those piddily little locking lugs full passage. The bolt handle bent and plowed it's way up and out of it's so called safety recess in the back of the receiver then traveled back at high rate of speed wiping out the bolt stop, shearing it off essentially. At the same time the front ring was swelled enough to allow the barrel to let loose which was flung down range. The composite stock shattered. The fact that the guys left hand was bracing the rifle near the chamber resulted injury to the left hand, which required surgery to fix, the right hand was banged up but no surgery there.

Not everyone is willing to put in time that is required to do this safely, it's like Norma 200 or something like that....whatever, lets just get going here. I gotta get huntin. Boom!! game over buddy. Would have been miles and miles ahead to just buy the commercial ammo at $150 a box and be done with it...nope... gonna save some money here and do it myself... don't know shit about it but gonna learn.
No such thing as free education, they all come at a price.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Only one common thread here; Stupid and Careless people (all men), causing all the issues. What is not common is the type of rifle. Same as car crashes; caused by stupid and careless people. And we give them licenses to drive cars, so that clearly doesn't deter the free exercise of stupidity and carelessness. John Wayne was right.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other thing you must remember that is never argue with an idiot cause they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Timan
posted 24 April 2022 01:24
I saw the results of a young man that screwed up and put 93gr of Norma 200 under a 140gr bullet in a Mark V last fall, he's lucky to be alive the bolt was surgically removed from his face, and that's a Mark V supposedly super strong.
Caliber: 6.5 x 300 Weatherby,

Wow. Amazing that charge even went into the case let alone allowing a bullet to seat over it. No wonder the resulting shot proved almost fatal. You would think even a novice handloader would have some inkling that something just wasn't right !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
What happened to Sav?

Here my (novice) advice for Sav if you're still listening.
The fix is obvious. Go slow on beveling that corner.
One of the best lessons I've taught myself is take a little off at a time and observe closely the improvements.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
What happened to Sav?

One of the best lessons I've taught myself is take a little off at a time and observe closely the improvements.

At this stage everything is worth a try for Snav but remember he said the rifle has worked fine up until the weekend of the competition. The corner you speak of didn't just appear or grow at the weekend in question. As I keep repeating, something changed with the rifle, the ammo or the way the rifle has been used for this problem to suddenly manifest itself at a weekend comp.

Snav assures us the ammo wasn't changed so if that is a fact then something changed suddenly on the rifle or Snav is operating it differently compare with pre competition use.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tracked down what seems to be by consensus a very competent gunsmith. We had a good chat over the phone and will be taking the rifle to him next week. He has also seen the videos and his first reaction was to not remove any material anywhere until he has inspected it firsthand.

Will let you know what the outcome is.

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I got that point. Thanks eagle27.
A little tiny wear in the path of the rear bridge at the bolt can make odd things happen. The position of rounds next in line to come out of the mag can effect ejection. Previously superfine clearances begin to touch. The list goes on.

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
What happened to Sav?

At this stage everything is worth a try for Snav but remember he said the rifle has worked fine up until the weekend of the competition. The corner you speak of didn't just appear or grow at the weekend in question. As I keep repeating, something changed with the rifle, the ammo or the way the rifle has been used for this problem to suddenly manifest itself at a weekend comp.

Snav assures us the ammo wasn't changed so if that is a fact then something changed suddenly on the rifle or Snav is operating it differently compare with pre competition use.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Snav - Thanks for the update. Glad you found your comfort level with your gunsmith. Can hardly wait to hear the final outcome.
CB

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yes thanks for update and I too would have confidence in your gunsmith. I did say in my 27 March post, don't change anything until what has caused the problem is identified.

I'm sure it will get sorted satisfactorily for you, keep us informed.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So..... the gunsmith has had my rifle for 3 weeks now and he says it is the most puzzling issue he has ever had to deal with. He will persevere however and try and get to the bottom of it.
Will post again as soon as I hear from him again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snav,
Thanks for the update. I've been watching for this.
Sorry to hear it's baffled your gunsmith so far. Maybe get him to read through the posts on this thread to see if anything points him in the right direction...??

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is painful to read.
Bring it over and we will get it working for you.
Or I'll smash it flat with a 9 pound hammer (the kind that John Henry used) and start over.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woohoo!

Got a call from the gunsmith this morning. Rifle is fixed!
What was the cure I'm sure everyone is dying to know? Well he said all he did was remove some material from the rear of the bridge and that did the trick.
To be honest all my original questions still remain though.
Anyway, thank you to all who assisted and gave their honest opinions, it is really appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snav,
Great news. Glad your gunsmith sorted it.
Would you mind posting pic/s of the alteration made to your rifle ?
Cheers

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Moral of the story is to avoid Mausers, they are a living thing and the metal work can grow on them overtime Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
drop a round in the chamber and see if it closes ... The practice of grinding on the extractor lip is well accepted it seems, and for what reason I will never understand..It faster to drop a round on the follower and close the bolt, but just a hunch on my part as Ive seen it happen..worth a try anyway, takes a bit over a second..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30.06king Will post pictures with pleasure when I get rifle back. Hopefully with the help of some forum members again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snav
posted 15 June 2022 13:18
30.06king Will post pictures with pleasure when I get rifle back. Hopefully with the help of some forum members again!

Thankyou Sir. Look forward to it.
Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lordy, I'll wager ten mins with a mill file.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd:
"Meanwhile I am building a 300 Win Mag on a 91 Argentine."

SF:
"Maybe the owner of your 1891 Argentine Mauser in 300 Win Mag will post what his face and hands look like if the receiver or lugs blow."

dpcd:
"I am ashamed; baiting and reeling them in is getting way too easy. It's no longer a fair chase sport!"

SF:
"You have no reply to my issues or questions other than sarcasm."

I think this is called netting, boating, and putting 'em on the stringer! Thanks for the laugh dpcd... Wink

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some pics are on their way.
He didn’t cut the bridge back square but rather “chamfered” the edge, grinding it at an angle. That and playing with the tension on the ejector blade.
It’s certainly done the trick. No issues whatsoever.
Grand total $30.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The pics:

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snav:
Some pics are on their way.
He didn’t cut the bridge back square but rather “chamfered” the edge, grinding it at an angle. That and playing with the tension on the ejector blade.
It’s certainly done the trick. No issues whatsoever.
Grand total $30.

Snav, I'm glad you have got the issue fixed but still somewhat puzzled with the fix.

You said in your post after the issue was fixed; What was the cure I'm sure everyone is dying to know? Well he said all he did was remove some material from the rear of the bridge and that did the trick..

Now you say your gunsmith also played with the ejector blade tension.

Perhaps he did this after removing or chamfering the metal on the bridge when the metal removal didn't cure the problem.
Metal will wear causing issues but it doesn't grow. Your Mauser went from a gun that had operated fine for a good period to one that failed at a weekend competition. The bridge metal did not grow to cause this issue but as others suggested early on it could be an issue that has developed with the ejector.

Nonetheless it seems to be all working now although just 'playing' with the tension of the ejector may see this revert to causing the same issue later down the track.

I would not want that nagging doubt if using on DG!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle will get lots of use in the next few months, I need to work on some load development and I have some plains game hunts where i will be using it, so if anything manifests itself will let you guys know after the gunsmith gets a phone call!