New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser 400 wood
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can get a minty clean FN barreled action in 30-06, cheap. No wood. I used to make a lot of stocks. My regular sources for carved blanks are no more. Where can I get an American classic style stock in walnut. No laminate or plastic please. This is a spec job so nothing crazy fancy or expensive. I will checker it so the wood must be good enough for that.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a couple American Classic patterns $130 for cutting. Add your wood.

Wood at http://www.calicohardwoods.com/catalog.php

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My nephew wants it. I just need to make a hunting rifle, not a work of art.

I am not a Mauser student. Please educate me. This FN appears to be a 400 from the early 50s. I'm not finding many FN 400 stocks.

Will a stock for a 98 with a military barrel work if I open up the barrel channel? The action is the same outside dimensions? The bottom metal the same outside shape? The action screw spacing is the same?? The FN has a fat barrel near the receiver and a step.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will a stock for a 98 with a military barrel work if I open up the barrel channel?

Maybe.
The action is the same size. Many of the Military actions had locking screws to hold the action screws in place. That made the trigger guard different than a commercial. A commercial stock and usually have the guard area enlarged to fit a Military. You might need to fill a Military to fit an FN.

If you simply want to make a shooter most commercial take off stock could probably be made to fit.

Heck get a finished Boyds for around $130.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod340 you have a PM.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its close enough if you have a pattern stock, you have to glass bed your action into the pattern stock anyway before its copied. If don't right that leaves you two to three hours of inletting, and another few days of shaping the outside..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote