New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal law on firearms
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The worst place to find out what's legal and what is not is the friggen internet by Quasi experts and that includes ffl holders and folks in the business, they create problems that don't exist, To this day some will tell you that you can't ship ammo, or guns even the UPS FEDex and USPS employees..Dealers will tell you that you can't ship them a gun with your drivers license or passport etc and must go form dealer to dealer, especially pistols, All a bunch of crap because they don't know policy from law..

If one wants to know what he can do and what he can't, go to the internet and stir up a can of dead worms and get a doze conflicting posts, but if you wqnt to know how lenient your government is, not including the politians that live on agendas, go to the United States codes, thats where you will find what it is that your looking for and how much propoganda is out there by liberals and idiots..

Start with 18 USC 92 (a)(21)(c) and begin a study, Using 18 USC, print it up and then scare the airline experts, Government Agencies, firearms dealers gunsmiths, local law enforcement, all the BS and bluffs can be disolved in a hurry..most of this stuff is done in good will by misinformed individual, trust me I was a federal law enforcement officer for 40 some odd years along with rancher and booking agent, I lived by those codes as all in law enforcement and citizens should, you owe it to your self to know the law..BTW its a great feeling at DFW or NY to take out their policy and tell the big cheese that he needs to shape up and learn his business, then they tell you well we will ship this gun this time, but not next time and you can tell him to stick it you will take your gun anytime you please and only an idiot bluffs..Just my day for a soap box..such as really been handy in my experience, know your rights. The law is for your protection and your government is on your side, some of its help sucks while others are heroes, and give their life to protect your rights, so don't let that go to waste.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES, YES, YES, YES................

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The law means nothing to a minimum wage employee who is NOT going to do anything to jeopardize his job.

Reality has no part in the equation

Posts: 6379 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep; case in point; just last week, a friend tried to send a barrel blank to another guy. On a Saturday at the West end post office. First mistake was telling the clerk it was a rifle barrel blank. "We can't mail guns."
It's not a gun, it just a barrel. Don't care, we can't mail guns. Asked to speak to the PostMaster. He ain't here. My friend left and went to the grocery store that has a Post Office inside it. Mailed with no issues.
Lesson; all you have to certify is that your package contains nothing hazardous, perishable, fragile, perfume, lithium batteries, or mercury. Never tell them exactly what is in it.
UPS is different.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few months ago, I attempted to ship an Anschutz 1516 (22 magnum) to Anschutz North America for some work. My local FEDEX said it could only be shipped FFL to FFL as that was FEDEX corporate policy. I went to UPS. Similar story, although there is one UPS store only open a few hours each day in my area where it could be shipped from. Again, corporate policy.

So, off I went to the local post office. They shipped it no problem. I just had to verbally affirm there was no ammo with the firearm. So, corporate policy at FEDEX and UPS is the culprit not federal law. So, I now try to avoid using FEDEX and UPS as I don't like their corporate firearms policy.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, and the employees often/usually do not know their own policies. As I told the UPS lady several times while I was training her to do her job; It is not your responsibility to enforce federal law. Finally I and her boss, got her straight; took a year.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
A few months ago, I attempted to ship an corporate policy at FEDEX and UPS is the culprit not federal law. So,

Pretty sure that is NOT corporate policy. Maybe if you were trying to ship a pistol. Tell them to show you the policy. Or trying to ship from a UPS Store. Only the customer counter at the UPS hub where the trucks are loaded is where you should within their own rules ship a long gun with out an FFL.

I have a client that can't use his local post office to ship rifles to me. They are inbred left wing morons and there is no way to call their boss and set them straight. He got tired of trying to educate them and drove 10 miles to the next town with a different postmaster and they were very happy to mail a rifle for him to me for work on.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1838 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Shipped a gun Fed Ex 2 months ago, to my knowledge there is no "corporate policy" that demands FFL to FFL only. Now that being said, the young man that runs our local Fed Ex location is very knowledgeable on the rules and has never given me any problems. The UPS stores are franchise operations and will not ship firearms, Fed Ex stores are corporate owned and will ship firearms. Many times it is the employees that do not know the regulations. I have 2 US Post Offices within 15 min. of my home, 1 will ship firearms no problem, the other claims firearms of any kind cannot be shipped USPS. I have printed and hand delivered the USPS rules on shipping firearms to that Postmaster and he will not budge, so as long as the other PO will do it I dropped the fight.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please see FedEx link to their website with specifics on shipping firearms.

It states the following:

Nonlicensee shippers

Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/sh...o-ship-firearms.html

UPS does have a provision for shipping a firearm from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector. As previously pointed out by gunmaker, you have to use their "customer center" which is open 2 hours a day in my area.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/supp...-items/firearms.page

The bottom line is both these shippers are being more restrictive than federal law. So, I'll not do with business with them whenever possible. Just another way for the antigun crowd to further intrude on law abiding firearms owners.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Looks like my info on Fedex was out of date.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1838 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
few years ago i tried to ship a bbl/action to dpcd for repair. i stuck it into a long mailing tube and walked into an austin tx post office. b4 i even got to the counter the clerk said is that a gun? said no its a bbl/action. he said get out. i refused so he called the manager. asked same question, got same answer. told me to leave. told him it didn't even have the bolt in the action. told me he was calling cops if i didn't leave right then. went home and called ATF. agent said they were wrong but wasn't his job to make em ship the gun. i went back to my actual city of residence and tried the post office there and the UPS. same story. both said they didnt care what the law said i was to leave or be arrested for trespassing. assholes.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
You should have gone back (easy for me to say)and brought their own regulations and told them to pound sand and do their job. Have them explain to the cops why they won't follow their own regulations you just happen to have handy and highlighted.

I've never had a problem mailing or shipping a firearm, but then I live in a land filled mostly with common sense. I have called around for my clients that have problems and I get hung up on quite often when I ask a postal employee if they can read.

There's a few post offices I'd like to have a group of 20 or so line up and legally attempt to mail 20 firearms all the different ways they are legally allowed to. Get a local news crew to film the education session.

Contact the postal consumer and industry affairs office that handles questions for your district

https://postalpro.usps.com/ppr...ols/consumer-affairs

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
interesting tidbit.......

39 U.S. Code § 1011 - Oath of office

Before entering upon their duties and before receiving any salary, all officers and employees of the Postal Service shall take and subscribe the following oath or affirmation:

“I, ________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter .”

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It's a pity that oaths, like so many things, don't matter anymore. I know when I bought my 2 SSA 45s at an estate sale + wanted to have them shipped back to Hartford to have Ivory grips installed (kinda dates it, eh?) Anyway, the UPS store said "we can't ship guns; that's how the terrorists get them ya'know." Idiots!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there are rules for common carriers on what they can/can't and must ship for customers.

If you felt mean enough, you could get a Black friend to take it to the office, and threaten them with a discrimination suit...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
You should have gone back (easy for me to say)and brought their own regulations and told them to pound sand and do their job. Have them explain to the cops why they won't follow their own regulations you just happen to have handy and highlighted.

I've never had a problem mailing or shipping a firearm, but then I live in a land filled mostly with common sense. I have called around for my clients that have problems and I get hung up on quite often when I ask a postal employee if they can read.

There's a few post offices I'd like to have a group of 20 or so line up and legally attempt to mail 20 firearms all the different ways they are legally allowed to. Get a local news crew to film the education session.

Contact the postal consumer and industry affairs office that handles questions for your district

https://postalpro.usps.com/ppr...ols/consumer-affairs

i DID print out the forms and took em to both places. actually all 3. ATF gave me links to the forms. same answer. we don't care. we don't ship guns. problem is you can have all the oaths and rules etc you want. if nobody is willing to enforce em they don't mean squat.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TomP:
I think there are rules for common carriers on what they can/can't and must ship for customers.

If you felt mean enough, you could get a Black friend to take it to the office, and threaten them with a discrimination suit...[/QUOTt

that would have taken longer than driving it there myself

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ran int o the same refusal once..Went back with downloaded and printed regs.

I explained that training postal workers' was really not my job, but happy to help out !

"Um..Er" and started pitting stamp's on the package.

Good idea to carry along a signed statement about the rifle including the fact it's NOT loaded.

That is supposed to prevent them from opening it up for "inspection"

If a clerk is some hard nosed anti gun asshole..call in the postal inspector.

Point is...do not let them get by with "their way"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please see FedEx link to their website with specifics on shipping firearms.

It states the following:

Nonlicensee shippers

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/sh...o-ship-firearms.html

UPS does have a provision for shipping a firearm from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector. As previously pointed out by gunmaker, you have to use their "customer center" which is open 2 hours a day in my area.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/supp...-items/firearms.page

The bottom line is both these shippers are being more restrictive than federal law. So, I'll not do with business with them whenever possible. Just another way for the antigun crowd to further intrude on law abiding firearms owners.

Interesting, all I can guess is the guy that runs our closest FedEx must think I am a FFL holder, though he has never asked.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is just a relatively new company policy, not a codified law.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes and there is a big difference in what is law and what is policy and I see a lot of mixed up folks on that point, many in Washington DC. The 18USC code is clear and precise and actually very protective of the constitution and gun rights so far, but defiantly under attack by wordy liberals..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote