New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing with a cracked stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has inherited a late Model 99 Savage in .308 Winchester, which appears in good shape except for a hairline crack beginning at the tang of the receiver. Is there a way of introducing glue onto the surfaces of the crack suffidient to form a permanent bond without forcing the crack wider open?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Air pressure or hydraulic pressure from a syringe coupled with the thinnest slow-cure epoxy should meet your criteria. Try to open the gap ever so slightly, then clamp.
Luck,
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I drill them from the inside to introduce epoxy to the deepest parts of the crack.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. And use the drill bit slowly driven backwards to auger the epoxy into the hole until it oozes out the entire crack. Heating the epoxy prior will also thin it making the job easier as well as speeding the set time.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I drill them from the inside to introduce epoxy to the deepest parts of the crack.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, after fixing the crack, you will need to fix what caused the crack. I use super glue, it will wick down into the entire crack. Loctite is brand I use but I don't know if that really makes any difference.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

I'll echo what others have said:
I drill them too before the introduction of epoxy and then re-fit the wood to the metal and maybe glass bed to keep it from happening again.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve done as Tom suggested, but after forcing glue into the drilled hole, I used my air gun on the hole to pressure the glue into the crack. It doesn’t take much pressure.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Hot Stuff", I think I got it at brownells. will seep into smallest of cracks. Yes, you still need to fix reason it cracked.

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use super glue after it is degreased good as most wood that splits on an older model will have oil in the wood. It could be caused by not being fitted correctly at the factory years before. Maybe a glass bedding would help stop this from creeping more into the stock.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Tom(dpcd)said......

Plus....I use my old pack of Brownells syringes(various tip sizes). Not only does this inject AcraGlas very well......the taper of the syringe tip opens the crack slightly. Then clamp, of course.

edit: These syringes have solid plastic tips, of different diameters/tapers.....easily trimmed/modified. And the pressure one can exert......

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Acraglas works well + if the crack is large enough to require extra stability, Brownell's sells threaded dowel pieces + with the correct amount of dye in the glass one can never see the repair.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Acraglas works well

yep - in fact, this is one of the few situations that i would recommend that SPECIFIC product over acragel ..

acraglas has a RATHER low viscosity, and in a bedding job, it a NIGHTMARE compared to the gel .. or, better yet, marinetex grey (the white version is flexible)

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote