New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on Wby. Mk. V action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Getting ready to build my son a .338 LM, and wanted some feedback on the 9 lug MK V from anyone familiar with it.
I don't want to drop $1500 on an action, I've seen used magnum rifles in the $700 range which would be a nice price point leaving more $ for the barrel, optic and a nice "tactical" stock...

I'd be truing the action to the extent I can, but am wholly unfamiliar with this action and accuracy potential. Usual receiver truing would be done, how's the typical fitment/clearance of the bolt and raceway? Is this action a good candidate to put the effort into for a long-range build?
I've typically thought of these as "hunting" accuracy rifles (which can hopefully be improved upon?), but seem to be getting more aftermarket support (stocks, triggers) so wondered if it might be a viable option.

Thanks in advance for any input.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would not pay 1500 for one; they are hunting rifles. "Truing" one would not gain much, my opinion.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $1,500.00 you can do much better.....

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Guys, I think that he means that the Weatherbys can be had for +-$700 which would save him quite a bit as opposed to spending $1500 on a match grade action.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee
The Weatherby will take the bolt thrust but it's not conducive to much accessorizing and accurizing. (if truing an action actually adds any realistic returns) Because of it's small 9 locking lugs, about the only way that you can get 100%, true contact is to simply let the lugs set themselves in naturally, over time. About the only real truing that you can do is to true the receiver face and bolt face. Both are usually pretty damned square from the factory to begin with. There are other actions that are probably better suited like the Stiller TAC 338. But then you're back to that $1,500 thingy.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There isn't enough steel in a Mark V for it to do what it is supposed to do in a long range 338 and be stiff.

Buy a single shot Savage 338 Lapua for $1150 glass bed it and be done with it. Then you can spend more on optics.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several MkV's, but I am not a frothing at the mouth fan such that I am blinded by the brand. I also own several Model 70's and Sako's, and some other brands.

I like the MkV action size for the big bolt face calibres and because of the essentially action sized bolt body they are really smooth. Mine all feed superbly, if that matters. The trigger once adjusted is pretty good. That the MkV actions are strong is not, in my opinion, in question. The weakness of the multilug designs - all to a greater or lesser extent - is probably the lack of camming action if you require it.

A lot has been posted on various forums about the 338LM and actions which don't have enough meat in the barrel tenon for safely building on the action as the thickness of the barrel is too thin in the thread area. As I recall the Model 70 (an all time favourite of mine!) was considered a poor choice for this reason. This is all second hand internet knowledge, but I came close to considering a 338 LM at one time.

A lot has been said about the MkV locking lugs and bearing and lapping etc.

I would certainly build on a MkV (and by the way put a Near Mfg base on it - a work of art, superb.... but heavy).

You may check out Longrangehunting.com and search for the Weatherby MkV and posts by JE Custom. As I recall he is a die hard fan of the MkV action for custom builds in the really big stuff and holds them in high regard. These are people who build for long range accuracy and who shoot really really long range.

Possibly you can get in touch with him and get some feedback directly.

Of course having a 340 Weaherby I'm not sure that a 338 LM gains you a bunch. Despite free bore they shoot well. My factory ammo shoots 250gr at 2980 from a 26" barrel. Our domestic powders were not suited to the 340, but I can now buy VV here and that should change things.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would do a 338RUM over the 338LM.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I agree; I have both, and have built both, and the RUM will do anything the Lapua will, and will safely go on any action. Not that the Lapua will kill you on a Rem 700; it has been done many times; it just makes some guys nervous.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I agree; I have both, and have built both, and the RUM will do anything the Lapua will, and will safely go on any action. Not that the Lapua will kill you on a Rem 700; it has been done many times; it just makes some guys nervous.

coffee Both of those cartridges make me nervous. My mainstay for a lot of years when I was young and stupid was the 30x378 Wolff. I severely galled the lugs on an old Sako AV twice before I retired it and set back a BRNO ZKK-602 chambered in that cartridge. Neither are very strong actions but I have never been known as over zealous with the dragon dung. But the normal rules of reloading do not apply when you get bolt thrusts that heavy. I have seen a lot of fairly serious accidents on the big 416 case. Many of them done by some fairly conscientious people. Huge case capacities on little bullets don't always give you a lot of warning signs.

In this picture you can see the disheveled 30x378 Weatherby case next to a 460 Weatherby cartridge. You can see the diameter at the base of the 30x378 is .632 inch. The diameter was actually .582 inch before firing. And no, it wasn't supposed to expand that much, and yes the action and barrel were in many little pieces afterwards. So, both the 338 Ultra Magnum and the 338 Lapua tend to make me give the seat hickeys a bit. But that's just me and I'm kinda funny that way.

pressure by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I think the Mark V is plenty safe for a 338 Lapua.

I just don't think there is enough steel if you are building a rifle purely for accuracy.

No one builds a 338 Lapua into a 5 pound mountain rifle. So I am guessing that this is more of the Kill a superbeast at 1000 yards kind of thing.

Stiller has a 338 Lapua sized action for $1160, Bugholes has them in stock :

http://bugholes.com/index.php?...97_98&product_id=216

Or a Surgeon:

http://bugholes.com/index.php?...tegory&path=88_97_99

Or a Defiance

http://bugholes.com/index.php?...7_116&product_id=387

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

I agree, but..... Aaah.... but the allure of Lapua brass! We have been taught that good brass is what you use as the base for a calibre decision. It is partially a good idea... but the question is whether other "good enough" brass is out there.

You can certainly get better accuracy (although with culling amd sorting and prep it's a marginal bemefit) and run good brass harder (if that's your thing).

The fact that Lapua now makes 6.5 CM is why I am now certain the calibre will stand the test of time. The Lapua backing is such a strong drawcard to many.

Like I said, for a regular weight hunting rifle I like the 340 Wby. The OP has decided on the cartridge though it seems as is his right!

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
quote:

I agree, but..... Aaah.... but the allure of Lapua brass! We have been taught that good brass is what you use as the base for a calibre decision. It is partially a good idea... but the question is whether other "good enough" brass is out there.

You can certainly get better accuracy (although with culling amd sorting and prep it's a marginal bemefit) and run good brass harder (if that's your thing).

The fact that Lapua now makes 6.5 CM is why I am now certain the calibre will stand the test of time. The Lapua backing is such a strong drawcard to many.

Like I said, for a regular weight hunting rifle I like the 340 Wby. The OP has decided on the cartridge though it seems as is his right!

I think the Lapua brass is great, but I don't think it makes that much difference in a hunting rifle. Prep your brass properly and you are not giving up much at all.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
quote:

I think the Lapua brass is great, but I don't think it makes that much difference in a hunting rifle. Prep your brass properly and you are not giving up much at all.

I agree... but the marketplace is not convinced!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, speerchucker...makes me nervous as well. Looks like about 25% more bolt thrust than the .300 WinMag.
The MKV clearly can handle it by design since it's a factory chambering from Wby.
Remington and Savage both apparently use proprietary actions for their Lapua rifles- not just using their usual magnum actions.
I had Brownell's contact Rem to see if they could special order one of the actions for me, the response was that they (Rem) is so backordered on them they're not taking orders.
Savage will not sell them through their dealer network.
I've not had my hands on either a Rem or Savage (repeater) action for the Lapua, would like to see what the differences are (perhaps just the bolt/bolthead), or stronger receiver abutments?

I'm committed to the Lapua...already have $1K in reloading components including a custom shellplate from Hornady .

Also thought about the CZ550, but that doesn't seem to have enough aftermarket support for a nice target build...besides, my South Bend doesn't do Metric lol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Gorilla Gunworks:
I'm with you, speerchucker...makes me nervous as well. Looks like about 25% more bolt thrust than the .300 WinMag.
The MKV clearly can handle it by design since it's a factory chambering from Wby.
Remington and Savage both apparently use proprietary actions for their Lapua rifles- not just using their usual magnum actions.
I had Brownell's contact Rem to see if they could special order one of the actions for me, the response was that they (Rem) is so backordered on them they're not taking orders.
Savage will not sell them through their dealer network.
I've not had my hands on either a Rem or Savage (repeater) action for the Lapua, would like to see what the differences are (perhaps just the bolt/bolthead), or stronger receiver abutments?

I'm committed to the Lapua...already have $1K in reloading components including a custom shellplate from Hornady .

Also thought about the CZ550, but that doesn't seem to have enough aftermarket support for a nice target build...besides, my South Bend doesn't do Metric lol.

Sako M995 also called the TRG-S was also factory chambered but metric too as far as I know. For a M995 you need bottom metal as it was molded into the standard stock. McM is a source for this. I have a McM A5 and bottom metal but I am in SA. Mine is a 300 Win Mag amd currenly back in the factory tupperware.