Find
Notify
Tools

Palomino Camper company?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Anyone got a recommendation on this outfit, they seem cheaper and we aren't going to be living in it so the price point is pretty nice.

Allows us to buy new.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big: My question to you is are you going to use your camper in cooler/cold weather where you will be using the heater? We started out in a Chinook camper on a Toyota frame with a pop up roof with soft sides. Worked fine in CA but on a Nebraska pheasant hunt (no snow but below freezing at night) we burned through a 20# bottle of propane every 3 days. We finally kept the top down to preserve gas. You could line the soft sides with Reflectex insulation but you have to still deal with the condensation.
We now have an Alaskan Camper (pop up with hard sides) we bought used for less than the cost of a new Palomino. Quality build throughout. Highly recommend an Alaskan.
The other issue with pickup campers is lack of storage space. We solved that by mounting a utility truck body from Skaug in LA and sliding the camper in the utility body.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my friends has a Palomino. They are fine for on road travel but the wood frame can be a problem for off road travel. I had a similar camper before I upgraded to a Fourwheel Camper. They have a welded aluminum frame that is bullet proof. I use mine to get off the path. Spartan design but great quality. They are costly but hold their value.
lb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents,

That is what I wanted to know!

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, my father was a regional dealer for Four Wheel. NICE product then and now! I ever move back to the states, I am buying one and a Toyota Tundra to carry it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing one needs to watch out for I buying a used camper is the year of manufacture some of the older ones well not fit in the newer pickup beds. I think about 97 on

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
One thing one needs to watch out for I buying a used camper is the year of manufacture some of the older ones well not fit in the newer pickup beds. I think about 97 on

Very good to know, thank you!