New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four wheel drive question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never owned a 4x4 but am looking to buy one now. Do you need a anti-spin differential or can parts be added later? The truck I am looking at is local and the ones with the anti-spin are 400+ miles away. For some reason the local Ram 2500s have all the options I don't need or want but not the anti-spin. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will probably never know whether you have a limited slip rear differential, as I have had both and honestly can't tell the difference between them. Yes, you can change the carrier in the rear axle to a closed unit later but you probably won't ever need it. Years ago I had an old crumby 1975 Dodge power wagon that someone had painted smurf blue and I could go through 28"-30" of snow without throwing the 4x4 lever. That old beast never slipped a tire even on the slickest roads, but I ran good all season tires on it. My current truck, Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 has never been put to the test but with that heavy engine up front it is not nearly as sure footed in the snow as old smurf.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Well...I prefer a limited slip or locker myself. A lot depends on what you plan to do with the vehicle.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I can definitely tell the difference between a locking diff and without. Most new trucks come with them now because of the light rearend and they need it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I were going off road in 4wd much, I would want an limited slip (clutch type) or locker type rear diff. I would not plan on putting it in later. That can be done, but at a high cost....and probably hurts warranty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old 2003 Ram 1500 4x2 has the limited slip and so far I haven't gotten it stuck. I figured it might be expensive to add it later. Thanks to everyone.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2016 F150 and it has an electronic locker in it. It works well, lots of times I just pull the 4x4 switch to engage the locker and never have to put the truck in 4WD.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rabbithabit:
I have never owned a 4x4 but am looking to buy one now. Do you need a anti-spin differential or can parts be added later? The truck I am looking at is local and the ones with the anti-spin are 400+ miles away. For some reason the local Ram 2500s have all the options I don't need or want but not the anti-spin. Thanks

Maybe a Gleason TorSen would be an option later...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Install a ARB airlocker. Best alternative for highway and off road use

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The anti slip is worth the extra cost. Would not have a pick-up without it.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A limited slip differential is one of those accessories that is relatively cheap to buy with a new vehicle but quite expensive to add later. I have always had them but I am wondering with the new anti-skid/slip electronics being added to vehicles today if the mechanical limited slips will go away? Ie if a wheel starts to spin too fast the electronics just apply brakes to that wheel. The mechanical units can wear out, require special lube, etc.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the days before Limited slip diffs and diff locks - ie old series 11 and 111 Landrovers, Toyata Hiluxes etc, using your left foot on the break peddle and dabbing it has the effect of locking the free spinning wheel enough to put the traction back to the stationary wheel and get you going again.

If that doesn't work - let the tires down to regain traction.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
A limited slip diff has some merit for a 2WD utility truck but modern vehicles with traction and stability control use electronics to instantly correct excessive wheel spin so are acting towards a limited slip or even locked diff.

The true locked diffs are only good in straight ahead situations and give true 4WD. The downside is that steering is affected hence the competition off-roaders using locked diffs also have brake levers to steer the vehicle like tracked or multi wheeled ATV vehicles so they can turn corners while still having all 4 wheels driven.

The tyre type, tyre pressure and using the vehicle momentum properly all play a big part in successful off road driving i.e. learn to drive a 4WD off road, go to a training course is good value if you haven't driven off road before.

Don't watch too many off road driving videos as many show idiots driving like a wounded bull, getting stuck and wreaking their vehicles.

If you use a 4WD to go hunting or camping and are travelling some distance off road the last thing you want is an utterly bogged, flooded or damaged vehicle stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Having the best tyres and diff locks is no good to you when this happens.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote