New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just a question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, my wife's 2003 Cadillac Escalade just had the tranny give her grief + I don't want to put more money in it to fix the tranny + then sell it. The motor (6.0 L) runs great, good AC, + new tires. We just put in a new master cylinder a couple of months ago to the tune of 1K, so except for the tranny, which is slipping , but I don't know what's wrong + frankly, I don't care anymore. I just want it out of my life. Bottom $ is 2K.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Norman,

I have read your post, but what is your question exactly? Are you asking if you should keep the car or scrap it and buy a new one? You know, nothing last for forever. With the way the market is now, you probably wouldn't get much for it if you sold it. If it makes you feel any better, I just dropped about $13K on my 2011 silverado on parts and labor.

rebuilt rear end
new transmission
front and rear suspension
oil pan gasket
control module
wheel bearings and rear brake drums
motor mount

AND that DOES NOT include the tune up it got at 200K

Now aside from a new motor, the vehicle is pretty much brand new. IMO, Eight or ten thousand dollars is a lot better than $60K. cars now are outrageous. If the vehicle is paid for an you can get a rebuilt tranny for roughly $3,900 and that's all it needs, I would say go for it.

Posts: 603 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ram rod, moot point now. We sold it for 2K. The point being that she was tired of it, so I told her not to dwell on it. You already wanted something else, so just forget about it + enjoy that 2 thousand bucks. Besides, if it was in perfect condition, it would only book for 4500. I have found that when ever someone is tired of something, just sell it + never look back.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
randy....you sold it before i could tell you how to fix it. in the early 70s i drove a wrecker for awhile, lots of tows were to tranmission shops. AAMCO? guy there said lots of transmissions hard shifting and slipping was due to clogged ports in the tranny and the steel balls not seating properly. he drove a car brought in about 5 mph then slammed it into Park. said the hydraulic force was so great it cleaned out all the transmission passage ways and reseated the various "rerouting" in the transmission. i ferget the technical terms. tried it about a year later in the family van. worked great for about a week or so. so kept doing it.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote