New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re mfg engines
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My grandson's Jeep Liberty, with a 3.7L V6 needs a "new" engine.

There's a bunch of re mfg. websites out there. Any suggestions?

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What year Liberty and what was the diagnosis on his old engine? Electrical, main bearings, heads, cracked block, etc? Does he have any engine codes?

May be cheaper to rebuild his existing block than find a remanufactured one. But the 3.7's were pretty much a dog to begin with and carbon up in no time. If it is running rough and or very hot, use some Lucus Top End Cylinder Lubricant/Injector Cleaner or Seafoam cleaner at 4 to 1 and replace the O2 sensor.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2003..I'll pass on that info. The vehicle is in CA and I'm in WA, but the "drums" say a dropped valve seat. Thanks much.

I was quoted 3K just to do the heads

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
What year Liberty and what was the diagnosis on his old engine? Electrical, main bearings, heads, cracked block, etc? Does he have any engine codes?

May be cheaper to rebuild his existing block than find a remanufactured one. But the 3.7's were pretty much a dog to begin with and carbon up in no time. If it is running rough and or very hot, use some Lucus Top End Cylinder Lubricant/Injector Cleaner or Seafoam cleaner at 4 to 1 and replace the O2 sensor.

Yup, overhaul in a bottle! What does engine codes have to do with a dropped valve seat?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can easily find some slightly used heads for a lot less than machining the old heads and inserting new valve seats.

Replacement is a pretty simple job - remember all new ARP head bolts. But if you do go the way of used heads, make sure you do both sides and have the heads resurfaced if there are a lot of miles on them. Also, the challenge will be if the block will need to be resurfaced. If heat was responsible for the dropped seat and it generally is, the block may have a wave in it or two.

I just hope there is not other hidden damage once you dig into the block.

butch - I doubt there are any codes with a dropped seat other than OHSHITWHATTHEHELLWASTHAT.

Once you get things back together - continue to run Lucas or Seafoam through the tank every other fill up to stop carbon buildup and to keep heat under control.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate this, but if my grandson can determine there's no compression in the involved cylinder, I'd rather not do it "one part at a time"

ATK seems to have a pretty good "Internet reputation"..from Texas..heard of them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never dealt with ATK, but I have seen their engines advertised through Summit Racing. They have certainly been around for a long time and have a great warranty.

Doing an engine swap is the safest way to go. But make sure the ECM is included or at least a flash update on your existing ECM for the new motor. And make sure the shop doing the swap also provides a workmanship warranty on the install. It can be frustrating when the gremlins happen and everyone is pointing fingers at each other. Also, might be a good idea to include a new mass air and O2 sensor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Appreciate this, but if my grandson can determine there's no compression in the involved cylinder, I'd rather not do it "one part at a time"

ATK seems to have a pretty good "Internet reputation"..from Texas..heard of them?

ATK does have a good rep. Been using Jasper and the dealer the last few years.
On the later model 3.7s they have a recall on the valve seats.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest son bought a used jeep liberty with a bad 3.7L motor in it and bought a used low milage engine out of a wreck way cheaper than a rebuild. He ran it for years without a problem and sold it to his B-I-L and they are still driving it. The original engine lost the timing belt and bent most of the valves and damaged the face of the pistons. I mention this as just an option to consider.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
My oldest son bought a used jeep liberty with a bad 3.7L motor in it and bought a used low milage engine out of a wreck way cheaper than a rebuild. He ran it for years without a problem and sold it to his B-I-L and they are still driving it. The original engine lost the timing belt and bent most of the valves and damaged the face of the pistons. I mention this as just an option to consider.

Timing belt? I think they had a timing chain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably meant serpentine belt?? Anyway, thanks to all

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Has the engine issue gotten resolved yet?

To me the main question depends on who is going to be doing th work installing the new engine. If it is a shop I would let them decide who to source the engine from. Here in the midwest a company called Jasper is used a lot, and nowadays they have an "installer" network. I have had good luck with them (probably used them 6 times in the past 20 years) and their engines are warranteed.

My concern here is if you get an engine that develops an issue in a month, who pays then? Let the shop doing the work source the engine, might cost a little extra but I had one reman engine that had a head leak right off the bat. Fortunately it was in a boat and only cost me an hour or so of my time but because of that experience I can see where it would be a pain to get an engine then pay a shop to install it, then have to pay them again to replace it when the engine I purchased turns out to have an issue. I could see taking a chance if I had an engine from a low mileage vehicle offered at a low price.

Anyway, for what it is worth here's the website for Jasper:
www.jasperengines.com, and I do see they have a bunch of installers in California.

Good luck, and hope it turns out well for your Grandson!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I missed this! Yes, a Jasper engine was installed...then I got into the "might as well"

New radiator, new water pump, new clutch, pressure plate, etc...then the rear end was a lile noisy..yep! pulled the trigger to get that overhauled too..so..what the hell..might as well put in new brakes!!!

Now he thinks there's some issue with the front drive shaft...must be! That's all that's left!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Duane.

How many miles are on it?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the new stuff..I'd guess about 3000.. He claims good mileage and HP seems way up. I guess Jasper did a lot of refining to these 3.7's. ...mostly to do with lubication

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, will you be my grandpa?

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah....busy that day!

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I put a Jasper Motor in a Ram 1500. About 5000 miles and it started using oil. A quart evry 400 miles. I took it back to the shop that installed it and the number two cylinder lost compression(59lbs). It is currently in the shop getting another new motor. Jasper claims it is very rare but it's all covered under Warranty.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have installed many Jasper Engines over the years. No problems yet, but nobody is perfect. Most important thing is how they take care of it for you.