Find
Notify
Tools

2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Not Mike, but I’ll give you my experiences. Empty in small town stop and go traffic, expect 14-15 depending on driving style. This thing loves coasting when you can. Pulling a double
Axle trailer, with a Honda pioneer 1000-5 which I’ve added up to about 3800 lbs, it’s gonna get about 11.5-12, but pulls it like a demon. Very smooth and great stability. It’s a torque monster and the transmission doesn’t go hunting. Empty on the highway, about 19-21 depending on how hard you’re having to run. I’ll deal with that for the power it exhibits when needed.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I will second that as to city and highway.

I have not yet done any towing.

Empty, it accelerates, and roars, like a sports car!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I love the sound of it in a cold start. Though about swapping mufflers but I’m too much of a purist at heart to go meddling with a brand new truck. Hell, I still haven’t put it to the mat yet. Just 2800 miles on it. Probably wait until I do the first service before I let it eat. My sport mode isn’t activated, but I saw where a 6.2 in sport mode and 4wd ran an 8.90 in an 1/8th mile. That’s quick for a pickup.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
If I have one gripe with the truck, it's the camera system. It's really nice to have the backup camera, especially for trailering, but the panoramic views distort depth perception. You can look at the camera and it appears you're so close to hitting something. Look in the mirror and you're ten feet away. Backing up to a trailer, it appears you're directly in line and over the ball. Get out to hitch it and and you're two inches to the right and need to come forward two inches. I'd like to think it's just me becoming accustomed to it, but almost two months in I am still having trouble adjusting to it.

You might want to talk to your dealer. My 21 Denali camera is spot on. I stopped relying on the wife to spot me when connecting a trailer. The view from the camera in the dash screen is exactly as it is in real life. Over 5,000 miles on it so far. 13-14 pulling our 4500-5000 lb boat, 18-19 around town, 21-22 on a trip . If I start running faster than 70mph it will drop to 20. I run 93 octane as the manual specifies.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I will look into the camera situation when I take it into the dealership for first service. It's rather frustrating.

Interesting to see you getting those MPGs towing. I don't get close to that pulling 80% of that weight. That being said, where I tow the side by side is very hilly. I'd expect the Denali to get 1-2 better than an AT4 due to the tire size and weight being larger on the AT4. I can't find 93 around here(well at least at a gas station I do business with). I run 91 ethanol from time to time, but for the most part its 87 ethanol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just completed a 1300 RT to go Yellowfin fishing in Venice LA. Brother and I in the truck along with maybe 150 pounds of gear. I ran 70 going down and averaged 22.2. On the way back ran 75-77 and averaged 21. All on 93 octane gas.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
That's pretty impressive at those speeds. I've gotten 21-22 but it was at about 50-55 on two lane roads with little grade. I did find a 93 station close by, and will be giving it a try to see if it helps economy. But at 5o cents a gallon more, not sure it would be worth it.

I believe the Denali has a 10 speed and 3.23 gears too correct?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes to 10 speed, I don’t know about the gear ratio but that sounds about right.
At 70 mph the truck is running approximately 1750 rpm’s. The 6.2 requires 93 octane.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
My owner's manual does not state that it's require, but it is suggested for maximum towing performance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is copied from my owners manual:

Premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM
specification D4814 with a posted octane
rating of 93 — (R+M)/2 — is highly
recommended for best performance and fuel
economy. Unleaded gasoline with an octane
rated as low as 87 can be used. Using
unleaded gasoline rated below 93 octane,
however, will lead to reduced acceleration
and fuel economy. If knocking occurs, use a
gasoline rated at 93 octane as soon as
possible, otherwise, the engine could be
damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when
using gasoline with a 93 octane rating, the
engine needs service

Where I live 93 is .30 to .40 more per gallon. If I am almost empty and need 18 gallons that is at most $7 more per tank. I can live with that.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Topped off the tank Friday with 7 gallons of 93 at $4.79 per gallon. Regular is $3.89 here. Pulled the trailer and Honda about 50 miles yesterday on highway at 65mph and averaged 10.8. Although I wasn't using my normal B&W hitch, so the trailer wasn't as level as I would like it to be. It gets much worse I am going to have to park it and start driving the Mustang to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get it, so I use 93 all the time.

I have two high performance cars besides my high performance truck. Cool

All I buy is 93.

I hope before long I can be sure it was not refined from Russian crude.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Mike, have you noticed a high pitched rattle on cold startups? Mine has done it since new, and seems like it's getting louder. It doesn't sound rotational like a belt or pulley, but more like a fast rattle. Sounds like it is coming from under the right side. Goes away with throttle, but can notice it coming to a stop. Read online where it's the flapper valve in the exhaust and is commonplace on 6.2s. Hoping not. For what they sell these things for it shouldn't make this noise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had that problem. Sounds annoying. Has the dealer not been responsive?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Took it in for first service yesterday at 5000 miles. Told them about it. When I picked it up, they said they heard it, but couldn't get it to do it when they were looking at it. Bring it back if it continued or got louder. Told them that it has done it since day one, I just didn't think it was anything of great concern and may be exhaust system settling in. It's more of an annoyance. A new truck shouldn't rattle like a wore out 83 Buick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That kind of thing is one of the toughest to diagnose. I wish you the best of luck in getting to the bottom of it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 19 1500 Denali with the 6.2 Had the cat black exhaust installed, (dealer), and the truck had a ratter possibly similar to yours. Did not do all the time, but when cold was noticeable. No such rattle now, have 49000 on it. Awesome truck, a lot of $, but then a lot of truck!!! Enjoy!!!
I run mid grade all the time, no ping!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Had to travel Wednesday to Birmingham to drop off the driveshaft from my 77 F150 at a shop for some repair. Took three rocks from semis to the windshield in the span of about three miles. Didn't notice any damage until this morning, nice 9" crack from the bottom of the windshield up. Son of a B**** Mad 4 month old truck and have to put a windshield in it.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
Had to travel Wednesday to Birmingham to drop off the driveshaft from my 77 F150 at a shop for some repair. Took three rocks from semis to the windshield in the span of about three miles. Didn't notice any damage until this morning, nice 9" crack from the bottom of the windshield up. Son of a B**** Mad 4 month old truck and have to put a windshield in it.

Cracks are common and expected up here. We just live with them unless the crack runs through your field of vision.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote