New
Find
Notify
Tools

From Jeep to Toyota
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, my wife decided to trade in her Jeep. I am sort of a hypocrite I guess as in another
thread I said I would probably never get rid of it. I guess I had too much time off last week and
mentioned to her how I thought she would really like a Toyota 4-runner. You probably know how it goes- once you start looking, you end up buying.

We decided trade our 2017 Rubicon (and our Ford Taurus that will not make it up our driveway) for
a 2021 4-runner. So far, I believe it has been a great choice. I was very surprised as to how good the ride was. It is much more comfortable making large trips (which we do). In the Jeeps defense, it was the best vehicle that I have owned, for running around in the hills.

The down side, if there is one is that the MPG is not great. However, for a mid-size SUV that I consider a bit more geared towards the hills, as opposed to a highlander or Rav-4, It will be fine.

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'd like to drive a Toyota 4 runner at least once. I have heard good things about the performance + ride. I have a 94 Jeep Wrangler (1 owner super low mileage) that I bought here from a friend of member Bobby Tomek's + I have never had a bit of trouble (unless my son's borrow it) + then the issue is getting it back. But it does drive like a jeep + I can only assume that the Toyota is a much smoother ride. I just can't imagine taking out a vehicle loan in retirement but just for the sake of argument + since we don't know each other, would you mind saying what you had to pay?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are smart Norman to not want to take out a loan in retirement. That was part of the deal
when I decided to purchase this- no loan. I did decent with the trades and just paid the remaining
balance. We went with the SR5 premium. It was a lower end model but still had everything that
we wanted for the most part. I believe it is was about $42,000 (I do not know the exact number as my wife was the
one who did the paperwork and picked it up). Ironically, the Rubicon was a bit more when I purchased it 3 1/2
years ago.

I did not think that I would ever buy new again, but this worked out fine and I hope to have it for many years.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Once you go Toyota it is hard to think about going back.

I don't know how many Toyota's we have had, but they have all been really good cars.

We currently own a Sequoia. We left our Sienna in Germany in 2019. I'd own another one of them any day of the week. My inlaws have 3 of them, 2016, 2018, and 2020.

We had a Camry in Australia that had 250,000 KM on it and I drove it all over Eastern Australia.

They are just so good.

Wish they made a 1 ton truck.

And I wish they imported the Land Cruiser trucks.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a few and they have been great.

Oddly enough, I liked my Taurus much more than my Camry. However, my next truck will probably be a Tacoma and I’ll just keep my F-350 for pulling and work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toyota all the way,I've got 2004 matrix with over 600,000 miles and 2005 matrix with over 500,000 miles.They are used in my business,also 2010 4x4 tacoma thats used on country mail route thats all mud and gravel.Few maintence issues on the above vehicals. My personal toyota is 2015 4x4 tacoma and 2020 rav4 that gets 32mpg.I was a ford guy for years till the toyotas outlasted Fix or Repair Daily

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, Jason. I am from another age + experience "sticker shock." at these prices.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
At least Toyota engineers kept the 4.0 in the forerunner since 2015. They pulled the 4.0 from the Tacoma‘s and replaced it with the 3.5 which is the engine from the Highlander.

If you want a new forerunner, tundra, Sequoia etc. do it quick before BMW ruins them

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
At least Toyota engineers kept the 4.0 in the forerunner since 2015. They pulled the 4.0 from the Tacoma‘s and replaced it with the 3.5 which is the engine from the Highlander.

If you want a new forerunner, tundra, Sequoia etc. do it quick before BMW ruins them

That is really interesting tree. I did not know that.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
New Supra is all BMW. Most parts they didn't even go to the effort to hide it and are stamped BMW.
Their next move is to put a BMW V6 in the Sequoia and Tundra to improve MPG. It's a car engine so I don't see this going well except for increasing the value of older used Tundras and Sequoias.

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Supra is all BMW. Most parts they didn't even go to the effort to hide it and are stamped BMW.
Their next move is to put a BMW V6 in the Sequoia and Tundra to improve MPG. It's a car engine so I don't see this going well except for increasing the value of older used Tundras and Sequoias.

The Z4/Supra design partnership is well known but do you have a reliable source for the other information? If anything that partnership opened BMW’s eyes to their slipping reliability philosophy.

Back to the OP, your 4Runner should serve you well. We have a 4th gen V8 4Runner with 200k on it that runs and drives like it’s new an 2 200 series Land Cruisers that are the best vehicles I’ve ever had. It’s hard to do better than Toyota/Lexus.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 4 runner sister truck tacoma (TACO)'hard to imagine a better all purpose off road truck for hunting. The 4 door with the 6' bed.
Narrow, light, high ground clearance, gear capacity, dependable.
Just wish you could ditch the center console and have split bench with a tree shifter. A lot better for hunting.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already have 2,000+ miles. So far, we are very happy with it. It drives very nice.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I really like the 4 runner sister truck tacoma (TACO)'hard to imagine a better all purpose off road truck for hunting. The 4 door with the 6' bed.
Narrow, light, high ground clearance, gear capacity, dependable.
Just wish you could ditch the center console and have split bench with a tree shifter. A lot better for hunting.

EZ

I may go Taco next. I just wish we could get foreign spec Hi Lux here. In Argentina they are the nuts going down all the washboard roads at speed without a rattle even after 250k plus kms. I’ve owned Chevy, Ford, Dodge pickups and they didn’t do anything like that.

I just need to decide if I’m going SUV or pickup next. I just always hated when people would randomly toss trash in the bed of my pickup. I also like keeping stuff locked up in my 4Runner when going hunting at a lunch stop or whatever.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went from a AMG Mercedes to a 4Runner, couldn't be happier.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
A long time ago,when I was still in auto mechanics,I ran a Jeep shop in a Jeep dealership,I learned everything about 4x4,because most everything that could wear out did eventually,after a dispute with the management,I moved over to a Toyota shop,nobody knew much about 4x4 because nothing ever broke,it was a walk in the park,running that shop was easy,this was maybe 25 years ago,my family has driven nothing else except Toyota & Lexus since,with a Porsche creeping in here & there,I pick up my new Tundra Limited today,just had to do it once I started looking & took one out for a road test Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Let me know how the mileage is on that Tundra. I have looked at this a bit but it seems that
the only knock on the Tundra was the MPG. However, I am sure it is now improved.

I really like my one ton diesel (ford) but I am looking at eventually going to a half ton
"every day driver" and just keep my diesel for pulling.

Jason

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Bill:

Let me know how the mileage is on that Tundra. I have looked at this a bit but it seems that
the only knock on the Tundra was the MPG. However, I am sure it is now improved.

I really like my one ton diesel (ford) but I am looking at eventually going to a half ton

Jason

MPG on Tundra's hasn't changed. My 18 Limited does the same as my 08 did. My 08 5.7L did about the same MPG as my 04 4.7L.
Surprisingly the Tundra's we had with the 4.0L V6 towed as well as the 5.7's and got 12MPG towing our tool trailers Vs 8MPG the 5.7's get.

From what I hear, the new leadership is pushing for a 3.5L V6 turbo for the Tundra. It's not set in stone yet but BMW is hoping to improve MPG on the full size platforms to compete with GM & Ford. There is some internal pushback regarding the viability of that concept.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Bill:

Jason

MPG on Tundra's hasn't changed. My 18 Limited does the same as my 08 did. My 08 5.7L did about the same MPG as my 04 4.7L.
Surprisingly the Tundra's we had with the 4.0L V6 towed as well as the 5.7's and got 12MPG towing our tool trailers Vs 8MPG the 5.7's get.

From what I hear, the new leadership is pushing for a 3.5L V6 turbo for the Tundra. It's not set in stone yet but BMW is hoping to improve MPG on the full size platforms to compete with GM & Ford. There is some internal pushback regarding the viability of that concept.

Exactly what he said,but with Biden in office why should we worry ha ha ha,I picked up my truck,put about 500 miles on it,had a mini holiday planned around this event,truck drives really nice, quick, lots of power, comfortable & good range with the 38 gallon tank.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
24 - 28 MPG, 3.0 Diesel

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7566 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote