The Accurate Reloading Forums
From Jeep to Toyota

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221043/m/8341047362

07 February 2021, 22:05
Labman
From Jeep to Toyota
I'm still driving my 1998 4Runner. Best vehicle I've ever owned. 190,000 miles and still looks good. What's with the BMW relationship? First I've heard of this. Sure hope it doesn't mean a drop in quality/reliability.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member
08 February 2021, 02:40
Jason P
It was the first I’d heard of it too(BMW). Seems bizarre given Toyota’s track history.

I realize that my 4-runner is not advanced in technology as some of its competitors are. However, that’s fine with me.

The only complaint I have (minor) so far is the towing. I have a small 4x8 trailer that I recently towed with it and it was not bad but not great. However, my Jeep was similar.

So far so good, we have about 3,500 miles on it.
30 March 2021, 18:03
degoins
quote:
What's with the BMW relationship? First I've heard of this. Sure hope it doesn't mean a drop in quality/reliability.

It will. Man I hate hearing this.

DRSS
08 May 2021, 17:36
Johnny reb
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Bill:

Let me know how the mileage is on that Tundra. I have looked at this a bit but it seems that
the only knock on the Tundra was the MPG. However, I am sure it is now improved.

I really like my one ton diesel (ford) but I am looking at eventually going to a half ton
"every day driver" and just keep my diesel for pulling.

Jason

MPG on Tundra's hasn't changed. My 18 Limited does the same as my 08 did. My 08 5.7L did about the same MPG as my 04 4.7L.
Surprisingly the Tundra's we had with the 4.0L V6 towed as well as the 5.7's and got 12MPG towing our tool trailers Vs 8MPG the 5.7's get.

From what I hear, the new leadership is pushing for a 3.5L V6 turbo for the Tundra. It's not set in stone yet but BMW is hoping to improve MPG on the full size platforms to compete with GM & Ford. There is some internal pushback regarding the viability of that concept.

I hope they will finally update the transmission on both the tundra and taco.
12 May 2021, 18:17
Saeed
Friend has two Jeeps.

Last week he came in my Land Cruiser fir a trip in the desert.

He said “This is 4 million percent smoother than my Jeep!!”

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
09 June 2021, 14:42
handwerk
we drive mostly toyotas, and have a 2016 4runner, like the others it has been a great rig.
03 January 2023, 09:42
Jason P
I know this is an old thread but decided to give an update. Our 4-Runner now has 48,000 miles on it. Very happy with it and it does amazing in the snow.

Over the weekend I bought a 2023 Tacoma cre-cab. I’m going to keep my diesel truck and use the Tacoma as me everyday driver. So far, I really like. I think that it should so well for what I use it for.

Getting the model and color that I wanted (trd off-road in lunar rock) was not easy. I cannot believe the prices of new vehicles. I thought about a half ton but this made more sense…
08 January 2023, 14:51
Balule
Just to jerk the chain of the fans of German cars I tell them that you Americans successfully conquered Germany with 2 Jeeps and 8 Garands but had 2 throw 2 atomic bombs on the Japanese. rotflmo
22 January 2023, 04:05
TomP
When we lived in Logan we had an AMC Eagle, quite nice in the snow.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)
22 January 2023, 10:47
Jason P
Tom:

My friend had one of those in high school.

You ought to see it over her now. I have been in 4wd ever day for the past month. All it does is snow. It’s been years since I’ve seen anything like it…
04 February 2023, 12:44
lavaca
I drive a Jeep, not exactly factory.

I can remember a hunt with a buddy that had a Toyota 4Runner years ago. Along a particular rough stretch, it kept popping its doors due to flexing. Never had that issue with my Jeep.

That said, most of the vehicles I've hunted with in Africa are Toyota's but we can't get those vehicles in the US thanks to our beloved federal government.

I'll take my Jeep considering what's available.
04 March 2023, 17:07
Labman
I just put down a deposit on a new 2023 4Runner. It's in the process of being built. It's supposed to be here around the end of March beginning of April. My 1998 4Runnerwith 206,000 miles is going to my daughter. Her family will use it as an extra vehicle. I'm sure it will never leave paved roads again.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member