Find
Notify
Tools

Geländewagen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
shooting power (TV show) today. They use outside shots of a house on the block. The house is owned by a prominent (wiseguy adjacent) restaurateur.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I wish VW would resurect "the thing" I think they called it in the early 70s. Simply a copy of Rommel's design of the German jeep. Good looking convertible + fun to drive; did I mention cheap?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the original designation was'Kubelwagon.'

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Everytime I ever see one, or park next to one in my Toyota Sequoia I always think about how small they are.

The guy that leased the revier that my house was in, in Germany had one. It wasn't a forestry type vehicle but a fancier albeit older one. He was an old retired American SGT Major that had worked for the Army as a civilian in Germany for another 30 years after he retired. He is in his 70's.

The Singapore military had the military versions of them.

I don't have an opinion of them, everyone claims that X is better than Y in off road vehicles. The newest batch of jeep pickups and Toyota pickups are no different.

A Wrangler Unlimited, a Toyota LandCruiser and a variety of other 4x4 vehicles. I don't know how much it really matters. If you put good tires on anything and it has enough clearance it will do the job.

I would think that the merit of the G-Wagen is that it should be a little better behaved on the highway. Most jeeps are horrible on the highway. But a lot of tha thas to do with tires.

The new Land Rover Defender get's a lot of publicity as well. But I parked next to one of those and it was super tiny.

Not really my cup of tea.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new Land Rover Defender get's a lot of publicity as well. But I parked next to one of those and it was super tiny.

And the least reliable vehicle on the planet.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I worked for a guy that had a G—55 (the AMG) back in 2004 or so. It was nice, sounded good, and was fast. However, it rode like hell.

They are popular with the soccer mom crowd around here.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

And the least reliable vehicle on the planet.

Except ANYTHING build by Ford of course.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I finished a Black Bear hunt in Montana recently,the outfitter /guide was using a Ford 350,year 2000,mileage 451,000,diesel,it was his work truck,including towing a big horse trailer,was still running perfect,no major repairs at all,he was also very fond of KUIU clothing,10 years of use & no issues.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
My last 6 vehicles have been Ford pickups- 3 F150, 2 F350, 1 F250. Never had any major problems and very few minor ones. YMMV but my next truck will also be a Ford truck...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Mexico and as I understand it in other places it was the VW "KOMBI".

I always used to think of the Land Rover is a well designed off road vehicle, but do not know if that is still true now that it is an "upscalemobile". At least the one that parked beside me at the store the other day was. It looked like the perfect soccer mom vehicle, not the purpose designed Land Rover I remember from the past.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've had a total of 5 Fords. All lemons. Every single one. Never again. They've proven themselves to me! 5 in a row over a period of 20 years.

Ask you local mechanic what brand they work on most. The answer will be Ford.

Here's a little trip down recent memory lane for you guys. Thread starts off as a celebration, then Karl's ecobust goes tit's up.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...141059332#4141059332

Mirrors my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I've had a total of 5 Fords. All lemons. Every single one. Never again. They've proven themselves to me! 5 in a row over a period of 20 years.

Here's a little trip down recent memory lane for you guys. Thread starts off as a celebration, then Karl's ecobust goes tit's up.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...141059332#4141059332

Mirrors my experience.

Keep the good work up maybe one day Tesla will replace f-150 as the most popular vehicle in US Big Grin

5 vehicles over 20 years - most have been in the special ed program dancing

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may go put a deposit for a ford bronco next week.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ha ha ha. They don’t say that up here. My mechanic always says: “Dodge keeps food on my table”

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that pic wasn't so funny. I would probably be irritated rotflmo

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Still driving my 2002 F-350 heavy duty crew cab, long bed diesel and it's going as strong as ever. I grew up in a Chevy only family. So when I went to buy my first truck it had to be a Chevy. I had two brand new Chevy trucks, one after another, that I accumulated two literal stacks of repair orders on from the local Chevy dealership. They were in the shop more than I drove them. Finally got smart and
starting in 1989, I have bought two new successive Ford trucks, both four wheel drive and fully loaded. First one was an F-250 460 V-8 manual stick shift that I drove for 13 years. When I sold it, it didn't leak a drop of anything and was as sound as the day that I bought it. Same thing can be currently said about my F-350. Repairs have been and were very, very minimal on both Fords. But, whatever floats your boat, and I certainly say each to his own. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I started out as a Chevy person + still appreciate their products but several years ago I got into buying Ford P.U.s (mostly 150s) + have had stellar luck with them. One thing that an old Ford owner once told me + it has remained true over the years; "A Ford NEVER left me on the side of the road." That being said, I have a 99 Nissan 1/2 T. P.U. that I bought new from the dealership + it has performed like a champ. I constantly hope no one hits me as I could never replace it for what I paid for it. Totally loaded club cab from the dealersgip in 1999 I paid $12K.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My uncle owns a oil field business in Wyoming, he used to buy whatever was the cheapest but the GMC products kept him at the mechanic, so now it's Ford or Dodge only.

He owns over 100 3500 Rams and Ford F350s.

Been a few years since I talked to him, but that was the last word I heard.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
General consensus on the new Landrover Defender - nice to drive on the road, comfortable and reasonably economic. Good offroad - but electronics, cameras, satnav etc are poor and unreliable. And at £50k plus its expensive

The one to wait for is probably the commercial version - but still expensive

The Ineos Grenadier, if it lives up to its claims, should be a much better vehicle.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote