Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

Most accurate MEME Ever!!!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
A home run

https://electrek.co/2021/05/28...ghtning-range-cargo/

Mike

Any pickup truck platform that requires you to actually weigh how much of a load you have in the bed in order to make a 300 mile trip is NOT going to be the future of the pickup.

Put a 10,000 lb + trailer on it, combined with having to disconnect the boat to fit into a charger station, waiting 45 minutes for the car in front of you to finish their charge, when all that's needed to counter this is a standard petrol truck and you've got a recipe for failure, except for maybe elitist pavement only, urban wannabee's.

Laughable really.

It might be a good platform for the beer girls to drive around the golf course hauling a bed full of beer and ice. It would probably make it around the course a couple of times and of course, is much better suited for a golf course anyway, like all the other golf cart EV's on the market.

Check this fellow's experience with EV's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwevvreoNjE

Cliff notes on the video, the guy lives in England, outside of London. No charger outlet in his garage. He wanted to drive into London but the car had a 25% charge on it. So he drove 30 mins in the opposite direction to top off the charge at one of the super chargers. Got there with 11% charge remaining, and found 2 of the 4 chargers to be inop. Waited 30 minutes for one of the other 2 chargers to free up. Plugged in and after the charger confirmed the car ready to take a charge, it charged to 44% before developing a fault. Drove down the road to another charger station and was able to get the car up to 51% before developing a charge fault again. Drove back home arriving with 35% charge.

So over 3 and half hours, in the opposite direction of his goal, London, he never got to his destination and accomplished a total of 10% additional charge. Yep, the electric car is the way of the future alright. And this was the experience with a Porsche, not a POS Ford.

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
A home run

Mike

Any pickup truck platform that requires you to actually weigh how much of a load you have in the bed in order to make a 300 mile trip is NOT going to be the future of the pickup.

Put a 10,000 lb + trailer on it, combined with having to disconnect the boat to fit into a charger station, waiting 45 minutes for the car in front of you to finish their charge, when all that's needed to counter this is a standard petrol truck and you've got a recipe for failure, except for maybe elitist pavement only, urban wannabee's.

Laughable really.

It might be a good platform for the beer girls to drive around the golf course hauling a bed full of beer and ice. It would probably make it around the course a couple of times and of course, is much better suited for a golf course anyway, like all the other golf cart EV's on the market.

Cliff notes on the video, the guy lives in England, outside of London. No charger outlet in his garage. He wanted to drive into London but the car had a 25% charge on it. So he drove 30 mins in the opposite direction to top off the charge at one of the super chargers. Got there with 11% charge remaining, and found 2 of the 4 chargers to be inop. Waited 30 minutes for one of the other 2 chargers to free up. Plugged in and after the charger confirmed the car ready to take a charge, it charged to 44% before developing a fault. Drove down the road to another charger station and was able to get the car up to 51% before developing a charge fault again. Drove back home arriving with 35% charge.

So over 3 and half hours, in the opposite direction of his goal, London, he never got to his destination and accomplished a total of 10% additional charge. Yep, the electric car is the way of the future alright. And this was the experience with a Porsche, not a POS Ford.

rotflmo

don’t hate the future

https://www.businessinsider.co...ectric-trucks-2021-5

the future is electric - get on with the program

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
A home run

Mike

Laughable really.

rotflmo

don’t hate the future

https://www.businessinsider.co...ectric-trucks-2021-5

Mike

The true future is hydrogen, not electric.

Technology exists, but there is no profit to be realized from the fossil fuel industrial complex, therefore hydrogen fuel technology will remain suppressed.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

Believe that all you want. They used to say the same about Emus and Ostrich meat.

EV trucks don't suit the function required by those who use trucks for the intended purpose of the platform.

They will be fine for the city dudes who never take it off cement and don't haul loads. But for folks like me, I need to be able to throw whatever in the bed, hook up a trailer of 10,000 or more, sometimes a lot more, and go without weighing how many lbs of load I'm hauling in order to calculate my range. I'll never willingly sign on to a platform that takes 30 mins or more to refuel, especially when that platform can take more than an hour, even 2, in the event there are cars ahead of me in line for the charger.

I also don't see the EV truck operating in the off road environment I operate in often. I buried all 4 tires in the mud while visiting a job site 2 weeks ago. I almost stuck it twice more in the month prior due to all the rain we've been getting. I put a winch on it last week as it cost $500 to get it unstuck last week (tow truck also got stuck, had to call another tow truck to get the first tow truck out). What kind of range would an EV truck have after 15 mins of spinning both tires trying to get out, or a few mins of electric winch operation?

There will be an EV truck market, but it'll never overtake the petro truck platform ... that is unless the government mandates it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

Believe that all you want. They used to say the same about Emus and Ostrich meat.

EV trucks don't suit the function required by those who use trucks for the intended purpose of the platform.

They will be fine for the city dudes who never take it off cement and don't haul loads. But for folks like me, I need to be able to throw whatever in the bed, hook up a trailer of 10,000 or more, sometimes a lot more, and go without weighing how many lbs of load I'm hauling in order to calculate my range. I'll never willingly sign on to a platform that takes 30 mins or more to refuel, especially when that platform can take more than an hour, even 2, in the event there are cars ahead of me in line for the charger.

I also don't see the EV truck operating in the off road environment I operate in often. I buried all 4 tires in the mud while visiting a job site 2 weeks ago. I almost stuck it twice more in the month prior due to all the rain we've been getting. I put a winch on it last week as it cost $500 to get it unstuck last week (tow truck also got stuck, had to call another tow truck to get the first tow truck out). What kind of range would an EV truck have after 15 mins of spinning both tires trying to get out, or a few mins of electric winch operation?

There will be an EV truck market, but it'll never overtake the petro truck platform ... that is unless the government mandates it.

You views on electrics cars have been 100 percent wrong. Tesla stock has gone up 15x since you have been bitching about electric vehicles. But you have right in your own safe space cut of from the reality of stock prices Big Grin

There is massive capital investment in electric picks ups and suvs.

From

Ford
Gm
Toyota
Tesla
Rivian

The vehicles are coming and factories are being built. But there is always one safe space Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dodge

https://www.motortrend.com/new...ectrification-plans/

Toyota

https://www.motortrend.com/new...coma-tundra-preview/

Probably the last two hold outs.

All the traditional real automakers will have electric trucks. As will rivian and Tesla.

I think the rest of then electric pickup new manufactures will be gone. This is a scale business.

There will be a 50 percent eventual market for traditional gas diesel trucks but in time 50 percent will be electric.

My gut is we still see more electric pickups than electric cars percentage wise.

All heavy duty trucks will be diesel and if companies want lower carbon profile (Amazon ups ect) - they will adopt renewable diesel with 44 percent carbon profile and pay up for it.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
One of these days Mike, you're going to learn that stock prices aren't the only measure of value in this world.

I couldn't give a good rats ass about the price of Tesla stock. Never owned any of it, never will.
I prefer to invest in my on business where I have control in how the business operates instead of something the Wall Street manipulators have control over and the brokers (read sucker fish) siphon profits off of when the market goes in either direction.

Of course there is a portion of the car market that is going to be tolerate or even prefer EVs. People have differing opinions on most everything right down to the color of the same make and model.

But when it comes to pick up trucks it's not going to be EVs for those who use trucks for what a truck was designed for. Not unless it's mandated by governments to cease all production of petrol vehicles and you better believe there will be a fight before that actually happens. There will be adequate support for petrol cars and trucks to last the remainder of my lifetime. Personally, I see absolutely zero appeal in any EV.

I don't care about stock prices, but I do care about being able to haul what I need to haul for whatever distance I need to haul it without taking an hour break to refuel every 200 miles or less if pulling a fifth wheel camper!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
For the foreseeable future, e-trucks are for city dwelling, off road wannabes. Like Land Rovers..... rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
For the foreseeable future, e-trucks are for city dwelling, off road wannabes. Like Land Rovers..... rotflmo

Exactly Jerry.

I live in a rural area. Across this nation, there are millions of rural people that rely on their trucks for daily activities. I don't know of a single person living rurally, who would have an electric truck. Of course I don't know everyone but I know the type of folks who live out here. And electric pickups are most definitely NOT the future, regardless of how the Wall Street types attempt to generate interest in them.

I suspect the auto manufacturers will eventually reach a wall of interest in EVs that they will not be able to penetrate at some point in the future as they switch to more EVs in their offerings. It wouldn't be the first time the auto makers miscalculated the market. That's not to say they won't find a lot of support for EVs, because they will. But there is going to be a large percentage of folks, like myself, who will never buy one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

EVs in general make a lot of sense for commuting. For a lengthy run of a few hundred miles, maybe ok if recharging stops are planned around meals. I know of one family who did a long-distance western tour with a Tesla, they did fine and had no range anxiety (papa is an engineer, had it all calculated ahead of time).

My travels are kind of unscripted. I've considered an EV for local with the idea that I'll rent a gas-powered rig for long trips.
That will work until proliferating EVs thin out the gas stations, then we'll plan fuel stops in the same way we plan recharging stops now.

EVs might contribute to selling a lot of solar panels in rural areas, where they make sense anyway.
I remember a rancher telling me he paid about $100k to run power to the irrigation pump at his alfalfa field.
I've seen some cattle trough wells converted from old-style windmills to solar panels, bypassing Jacobs-type generator technology.

On marketing...a pickup truck is about the only way to get a V8 these days and I suspect the rash of 4-door/shortbeds has a lot to do with that fact. The Endurance is a 4-door shortbed, and they may have overlooked something when that decision was made.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote