Notify
Tools

The future of the pickup and it ain’t tesla
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It’s Rivian

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rKsZZPT1Y

This is one well designed recreational truck.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or maybe this one...
https://workhorse.com/pickup/

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14342 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Or maybe this one...
https://workhorse.com/pickup/

Or maybe this one

https://www.trucks.com/2019/02...ectric-f-150-pickup/

There is good stuff coming in truck land.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are coming but I think it is going to be a while. I can put 1500# of junk in the bed of my F150, drive 600+ mi., in any weather with no measurable decrease in performance, stop at any convenience store along the highway of life, fill the tank and get a cup of coffee and be gone in 15 min., and do it again. And when they finally do show up you will probably be able to buy two gas powered units for the cost of one of the e models. You also have to wonder what will happen to the electrical grid in this country as we switch over?
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
It’s Rivian

Mike

NOT!

Maybe sell a few to the yuppie concrete 4WD crowd who's tires never leave the pavement just so they can claim to be "hip". But hard core good old boy hunters?

I say again ... NOT!!

coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't come to work today my truck ain't charged.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
They are coming but I think it is going to be a while. I can put 1500# of junk in the bed of my F150, drive 600+ mi., in any weather with no measurable decrease in performance, stop at any convenience store along the highway of life, fill the tank and get a cup of coffee and be gone in 15 min., and do it again. And when they finally do show up you will probably be able to buy two gas powered units for the cost of one of the e models. You also have to wonder what will happen to the electrical grid in this country as we switch over?
C.G.B.

Not impact on power grid. These suckers are crazy fuel efficient - 100mpg. Most charge at night so no additional draw on grid.

The recharging network needs to reach critical mass -maybe in 7-10 years.

These trucks could be excellent platforms for work trucks ect. distance driving I am not so sure.

My f-150 has 45k miles. I plan to own it for at least 150k miles. So I am out for next 7-10 years.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
It’s Rivian

Mike

NOT!

Maybe sell a few to the yuppie concrete 4WD crowd who's tires never leave the pavement just so they can claim to be "hip". But hard core good old boy hunters?

I say again ... NOT!!

coffee

Old boy hunters are not the target market.

It’s the $60k plus truck buyer market that is the target.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
It’s Rivian

Mike

NOT!

I say again ... NOT!!

coffee

Mike

Isn't that what I said?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
It’s Rivian

Mike

NOT!

I say again ... NOT!!

coffee

Mike

Isn't that what I said?

The $60k is where the margin in the truck business is. Not in guys running their trucks for 400k miles Big Grin

The number one selling luxury vechile with price point over $50k is the f-150. This is a real juicy market for luxury vechile.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t take my f-150 off road. It is perfectly capable but I don’t want to beat up a $60k truck. So I hunt in my hunting buddy’s Subaru.

After 100k miles I will get a brush guard and go beat up my truck. But till 100k miles it is a luxury commuter vechile.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 L Hemi. It's quite an improvement on the 5.3L GM engine.

The Ram pulls the trailer a lot better up the grade (410 LB-Ft versus, 300 LB-Ft) and it gets >20% better gas mileage.

The problem with electric vehicles isn't the vehicles, it's the battery technology. If they could make a battery that would power the truck for 400-500 miles and recharge in 15 minutes, I would buy one.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I just bought a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 L Hemi. It's quite an improvement on the 5.3L GM engine.

The Ram pulls the trailer a lot better up the grade (410 LB-Ft versus, 300 LB-Ft) and it gets >20% better gas mileage.

The problem with electric vehicles isn't the vehicles, it's the battery technology. If they could make a battery that would power the truck for 400-5000 miles and recharge in 15 minutes, I would buy one.

Only hear good things about the ram truck.

The Tesla truck will be interesting. The pick thing about picks up is it’s easy to put a bi battery in.

Breaking 500 miles will be key.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t take my f-150 off road. It is perfectly capable but I don’t want to beat up a $60k truck. So I hunt in my hunting buddy’s Subaru.

After 100k miles I will get a brush guard and go beat up my truck. But till 100k miles it is a luxury commuter vechile.

Mike

Mike, when your Ford get's 100K miles on it, it will be time to get a new one!

F - Found
O - On
R - Road
D - Dead

clap

I owned 5 Fords in my lifetime. Each one was a total LEMON. I'm a slow learner!! Do they still give you a good set of walking shoes with the purchase of a Ford? Good investment. The shoes, that is.

All of a sudden I get it. I get it!! You're interested in Tesla because of the Ford experience. Hell, I would even buy a Tesla before buying another Ford and you know my thought on Musk and his government handout scam.

jumping

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike, when your Ford get's 100K miles on it, it will be time to get a new one!

F - Found
O - On
R - Road
D - Dead

clap

I owned 5 Fords in my lifetime. Each one was a total LEMON. I'm a slow learner!! Do they still give you a good set of walking shoes with the purchase of a Ford? Good investment. The shoes, that is.

All of a sudden I get it. I get it!! You're interested in Tesla because of the Ford experience. Hell, I would even buy a Tesla before buying another Ford and you know my thought on Musk and his government handout scam.

jumping

Cool

5 times to learn that ford sucks Big Grin

My first vehicle was a ford bronco II - worst vechicle I ever bought. Fell apart in 8 years with 65k miles. I was broke college student back then too.

The f-150 has been great. But definitely worried about Karl’s experience with his.

I have enough stuff like bedslide ect to keep mine and it drives great. Let see what next 55k miles will bring.

Number one selling vechicles in us so I am assuming mechanics are available but I would sell on first real trouble.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard a report on the radio driving to work today that the cold spell has really hit electric vehicles because of the increased heating demand burning electricity. I guess that is all part of the learning curve.

If you weren't putting a lot of miles on them electric trucks would be great.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWall:
I heard a report on the radio driving to work today that the cold spell has really hit electric vehicles because of the increased heating demand burning electricity. I guess that is all part of the learning curve.

Tom

Same with A/C in summertime, although I wonder what becomes of the heat in the battery coolant...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14342 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazon invested in Rivian.

Rumor is gm is looking at getting batteries and electric drive train from tesla for a electric pick up.

Ford building an electric f-150

It may be the ideal work truck with massive towing and power bank for tools. Range constraint.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If you're in the construction business in Texas like I am,you can not operate without a pickup.However,I don't need an electric one + it will be a cold day in hell when I spend $60K. on a vehicle.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWall:

Tom

Batteries do not work in cold environments. The Electric cars were operating with about 20% battery capacity in the sub-zero temperatures.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote