Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Diesel 4WD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woops.

Sorry George, posting pics is new to me thanks for sorting it out for me.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul - Who is the manufacturer of the bed box?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Paul - Who is the manufacturer of the bed box?

I bought the canopy from a company called Kylin campers.
2.5mm aluminum, three doors, fully lockable keyed alike and powder coated for $2600 AUD.
I couldn't barely buy the material for that price !

They are made in China and imported to Aus.

I spent quite a bit of time researching my canopy options and this provides the best storage and security options for my needs.

I will be having two drawers fitted to the back half, some L.E.D strip lights, marine carpet to the floor a small compressor mounted as well as a l.p.g powered hot water system.

It will then be ready for long range touring/travelling and also take care of my local hunting needs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul thanks. I do not see a positive air vent. (?)

Otherwise they look very well built and welded.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's right, no vents.

I will be cutting a couple in myself.

I don't keep my dogs in there anyway (OH no, they're way too spoilt to ride in the back !!!!), but you physically couldn't keep pets in it anyway without making for some serious alterations for air (cooling) and ventilation.

For me this is more about storing, transporting and securing my camping/hunting gear.
On certain hunts I may leave my vehicle unattended beside a public road for days at a time.
I tell you it's nice to walk out of the bush after several days of back-packing to warm dry spare clothes, towels, drinks and food.
The dogs appreciate it too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much of our driving is on corrugated dirt roads so without a positive pressure vent on top of the canopy it just fills with fine dust - I don't care how good the door seals are, the dust still magically finds a way in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
You ain’t kidding. I would love to have one here.

In September we met people who were importing ancient trucks for that sort of thing; apparently where they were from imports only had to be some number of years old to be legal.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
You ain’t kidding. I would love to have one here.

In September we met people who were importing ancient trucks for that sort of thing; apparently where they were from imports only had to be some number of years old to be legal.

The regs used to require 25 years from the date of manufacture. I don’t know if that has changed. Many of the LHD trucks were Canadian mine trucks that may have had low miles, but high hours. They were prime candidates for an engine swap if the frame and body weren’t shot full of rust.

Other LHD options were Central/South American options. Also, potential engine and rust issues.

RHD options with better bodies can be had from OZ and other places.

Full restorations can be done by a number of shops now, but ain’t cheap.

JDM imports (also RHD) can be had, but mostly SUV types.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
In Zimbabwe I noticed a lot of the PHs used Toyota Diesel trucks. As I recall they had about a 3200 KG payload.

It would be nice to have something like that in the USA. Loaded with 5 people, a heavy rack, supplies, and a bull buffalo, the thing could still crawl up hills over rough terrain.

Beats the heck out of a Ford 350 IMO.

BH63

I have a HZJ73 Landcruiser RHD with a 4.2 litre diesel & H55 Five Speed transmission and it is a very capable rig indeed. It was imported to the USA from Japan. I also have an F350 diesel (7.3L - built in the USA) That hauls my dogs and Airstream... and my boat. Forlong range hunting the F350 is very useful. For other trips my Landcruiser carries my roof top tent, fridge, kitchen and gun box.

Both have their place.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote