New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Diesel 4WD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In Zimbabwe I noticed a lot of the PHs used Toyota Diesel trucks. As I recall they had about a 3200 KG payload.

It would be nice to have something like that in the USA. Loaded with 5 people, a heavy rack, supplies, and a bull buffalo, the thing could still crawl up hills over rough terrain.

Beats the heck out of a Ford 350 IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
You ain’t kidding. I would love to have one here.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I hear it is an EPA and DOT thing. The land cruise is great, but a Hilux would also work for me.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes, which is funny, because we can legally drive an antique car without any safety/emissions, yet a limited-use kick ass 4x4 is beyond reach.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have one. Will post pics when it is finished around February. It has the 4bt Cummins and Dodge 5 speed overdrive. Stripped a '78 FJ40 down to frame and just added everything new with some original items included. My builder/friend has pics and his build-sheet for a magazine article. All in for around $28K.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
In Zimbabwe I noticed a lot of the PHs used Toyota Diesel trucks. As I recall they had about a 3200 KG payload.

It would be nice to have something like that in the USA. Loaded with 5 people, a heavy rack, supplies, and a bull buffalo, the thing could still crawl up hills over rough terrain.

Beats the heck out of a Ford 350 IMO.

BH63

Are you referring to a Land Cruiser (Model 70) or the Hilux or a commercial vehicle? Both the Cruiser and Hilux only have a load capacity around 1,000 kg. It might be a commercial vehicle version which does have that capacity, however, they are not off road vehicles.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice the model number. Just the 3200 kg stenciled on the side. The truck had very heavy leaf springs and as I stated had absolutely no problem crawling up a steep hill off road with at least 4000 lbs of animal, people and gear.

It was a 2015 model and costs about $20,000.00 USD if I remember correctly.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really have not a clue as a new Cruiser today in SA costs north of $50,000 USD and a Hilux in the $43,000 USD range depending on options.

You can find a few slightly bent Cruisers with a few hundred thousand kilometers and a few decades on the clock in the $20,000 range but nothing you would want to own without spending another $20,000 on them.

Anyhow, both the Cruiser and Hilux are animals once you do some basic upgrades on them.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I'm another one who would love it if Toyota would import their diesel 4x4's (Hilux & Crusier) into the USA.

For some reason every manufacturer thinks we need big, cushy vehicles for everything. The American way I guess. But a simpler more rugged vehicle choice would be nice.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the American market is looking for bling and features even on their city trucks. While the Hilux is a far more robust built truck than the Tacoma, a fully kitted Hilux would cost 20% - 30% more than a Tacoma if it were to be blinged out like the Tacoma.

The Hiluxes only got a backup camera two to three years ago. Forget vented seats, remote starts, entertainment systems, and the bazillion safety features needed to meet American standards. I also doubt the diesels would come anywhere close to the US emission standards. Especially all of ours as we run straight pipes to keep EGTs from melting the cab and its ocupants.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
And the diesels offered here are way over powered unless you use them for their intended purpose; hauling big heavy loads.

Oh, how I wish I could have a 70 series (not a used mine truck that must be over 20 years old to import), or a new model Hilux. The Hiluxes we use in Argentina still will do 70kmh down washboard roads with a rattle even though over 200,000 kms on the clock. No American made truck can do that in my experience.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
I'm another one who would love it if Toyota would import their diesel 4x4's (Hilux & Crusier) into the USA.

For some reason every manufacturer thinks we need big, cushy vehicles for everything. The American way I guess. But a simpler more rugged vehicle choice would be nice.

The first truck I ever bought myself was a 1993 Toyota Truck 4x4 with a standard cab and the 22-RE engine, No A/C, crank windows, and basic AM/FM radio. Something tells me that truck would STILL sell like gangbusters today to folks like you and me. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw where Toyota is trying to introduce a diesel Tundra for the USA market. Expected prices run from mid 40s to mid 50s.

BH63

PS The price for the 2015 was from Zim, not RSA, and was the price when purchased new. As I recall, the radio had a cassette player and that was it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
And the diesels offered here are way over powered unless you use them for their intended purpose; hauling big heavy loads.

Oh, how I wish I could have a 70 series (not a used mine truck that must be over 20 years old to import), or a new model Hilux. The Hiluxes we use in Argentina still will do 70kmh down washboard roads with a rattle even though over 200,000 kms on the clock. No American made truck can do that in my experience.

The only other pickup truck that survives the roads in Namibia is the South African built Ford Ranger. To be honest, the Ranger has better road manners on the corrugated roads. The Hilux is still employing solid axle suspension front and rear and from time to time the back bumper likes to pass the front bumper. Based on the number of bent rental Hilux trucks one sees, many folks have trouble handling them on the rough stuff. The Rangers are holding up well and are now outselling the Hilux in many African markets.

But at the end of the day, the Toyota Cruiser is still the 800 pound gorilla when it comes to tough and ability to survive the bushveld. The only down side is they are very thirsty and seldom pass a gas station.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a brand new 79 series duel cab tray back land cruiser about one month ago.

4.5 ltr V8 Turbo diesel.

Lots of grunt (for me anyway)and heaps of torque.
Much more comfortable than models in the past but a LONG way from being considered a "civilian/domestic" vehicle.
Probably the most accessorized vehicle in this country. Toyota sells them very bare !

GVM up-grade will take you up to 3500kgs I belive but not sure, I don't do much towing.
Mine is still under original 200km's on the clock and sits on 2100rpm at 100km's/hr with PLENTY of pick-up available at that speed for overtaking. Current fuel use is sitting at around 11.5 ltrs/100km's which is not bad for a vehicle of this size.

At this stage I have added an Air ram snorkel head (factory issue tea pot is ridiculous) and 3" exhaust pipe form the particulate filter back. BIG improvements for both engine and fuel economy !

I will be adding;
# 3" lift kit, 32" tires.
# Catch-can and secondary fuel filter amongst other user based options such as Hemma Maps, reverse and forward cameras, lights, overhead console UHF etc.

Still only early but am extremely impressed with the level of comfort and power.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toyota chokes their diesels with too little air and too much exhaust restriction. We snorkel all ours and straight pipe the back end. A quick chip update and you can either gain big Ks per liter or big power. Where we operate, Ks per liter is far more important.

Sounds like you will have yours sorted soon.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

The first truck I ever bought myself was a 1993 Toyota Truck 4x4 with a standard cab and the 22-RE engine, No A/C, crank windows, and basic AM/FM radio. Something tells me that truck would STILL sell like gangbusters today to folks like you and me. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Yes indeed. tu2

Years back (2008) I wanted a new pickup. So off to the dealer to do some shopping. I wanted a bare bones model with no fluff.

I shopped around a lot before I finally found what I wanted. At the dealer the guy went through his and every other Chevy dealers inventory unable to find what I wanted. In disgust he said "I can't believe there isn't a single truck here that you want.

Finally in desperation he went out to see what had just been delivered but not yet logged into their inventory. On the truck was a Cheyenne (the last year they were made) that was set up for a contractor to pull a fifth wheel trailer. It was exactly what I wanted. Rubber mats, no electric gizmos 3/4 ton gas V-8 and 4wd.

I still have it even though I also have a ten year newer Silverado Duramax diesel.I use it now to hunt, haul firewood and gravel with. I has 250,000 miles and still runs fine. I would have bought a Toyota but needed the extra carrying capacity and towing.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those little 4 banger 22R engines were hard to beat I've owned at 4 of those and they were dependable.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Paul,

One too many img tags:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote