Find
Notify
Tools

Who has a 4wheeler?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I am looking at getting a Honda Rancher 4x4 to help with packing game out on public land hunts. Wondering who else uses a 4 wheeler regularly. I used to have a side by side (Yamaha Rhino) but for the price of the sxs I couldn't justify keeping it and rarely using it. The 4 wheelers are very affordable if buying used.

I saw that some state trails have a maximum width of 50" and the Rancher is small enough I could use these trails along with the larger trails to get closer to a downed animal.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For general chores and reliability, it's hard to beat a Honda. I use ATVs every day, hunting, pulling wood trailers, scouting, etc. I have a Kawasaki Prairie 650 and an Arctic Cat 550. Don't know how I'd live without one.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a Honda fourtrax 400; For a small, bullet proof wheeler you can't beat the Honda fourtrax or Rancher. If you want a smooth ride get something bigger with independent suspension.

We have a lot of 50" trails here on National Forest land. I don't know of a 4 wheeler that can't go on those. Even some of the Polaris razor side by sides are narrow enough for the 50" trails.

(edit) my 700 is a kodiak. I used to have a Grizzly 550 and liked that better than the newer kodiak. I had a first gen, straight axle grizzly 600, that thing would tip over sideways if you even looked at it funny. I also had a Honda 500 rubicon fourtrax, those things are rough riding.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Yamaha Kodiak 700EPS new almost 3 years ago and I shopped around to find which was more comfortable to me. I sat on two sizes of Polaris and a Honda Foremen and the Yamaha. The Yamaha was the most comfortable with the Honda being the least comfortable, and the Honda was a manual transmission. I really liked the Polaris 800 and wish it would have been a wee bit more comfortable for my bad back. Which machine is best(?), I'll let others argue that to death. I think all the brands made in the US are quality ATVs but I wouldn't buy a Chinese made one if they wanted $100 and a scratched Elvis record for it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I am looking at getting a Honda Rancher 4x4 to help with packing game out on public land hunts. Wondering who else uses a 4 wheeler regularly. I used to have a side by side (Yamaha Rhino) but for the price of the sxs I couldn't justify keeping it and rarely using it. The 4 wheelers are very affordable if buying used.

I saw that some state trails have a maximum width of 50" and the Rancher is small enough I could use these trails along with the larger trails to get closer to a downed animal.

I have a 2003 Honda Rubicon 500 & a 2004 Yamaha 450 the old reliable manual shift Hondas were bullet proof, not so much with the auto shift.
The Yamaha is great.

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Honda Foreman 400 since 1995. It has been invaluable in getting into places where you would tear up your full size 4WD Pickup.

With an off road ATV trailer I have hauled quartered elk out in one trip (instead of 8 or 9 on foot).

Just make sure the areas you hunt allow motorized vehicles and drive conservatively (I have rolled mine twice).

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
We have used a Honda Foreman for hauling out Elk for years. It is bullet proof.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Mine has scratches on the plastic cowling from the tines of elk antlers.

Sure is nice to find it in the dark after a long day's hunt on a cold November day up in the mountains.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I have a 2005 350 4x4 Electric shift Rancher. Just rolled over 1000 miles! Highly recommend.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not buy a Polaris they are POS.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTTOMATIC:

There are many Polaris owners that think Polaris is the greatest 4 wheeler made. My friend was dismayed that I bought a Yamaha because he has had his carburated Polaris since he bought it new (15? years ago). It doesn't matter what it is there is always some units that shouldn't have left the factory because of issues. It happens to people that own every brand of car or truck that has ever been made. Chevy owners that would never own a Ford and vise versa. I still say, with firm conviction, buy the one that you think fits you and your needs best.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep buy it for what you intend to do with it.

I have a carbureted 330 Polaris I been riding since about 2000.
sometimes I have to pull start it.
but I have just drove around plenty of guys stuck on their big 700's and offered to pull them out.

my second one is a 450HO it has all kinds of low end torque.
I have used it to tow some of my trucks up over the overpass to the repair shop on the other end of town.

neither of them go 60 but they will go up a damn steep hill and drag or carry out an elk, or a cow up from the pasture if necessary.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses!

This one is a 2000 350 full time 4wd with around 3700mi. I got to use it for a weekend and seems to start and run real well. I plan on picking it up this weekend

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yamaha or Honda, for my money. Bought a 93 Yamaha 350 Big Bear, 10 years ago. Still ticking . The smaller units are easier to manhandle and have sufficient power for every day use. Don't think I'd own one without a pull start in case of battery problems

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned Polaris 4 wheelers since 2000. I currently own 3 Polaris Ranger side by sides, and 2 Polaris Sportsman. They are all 570cc or smaller. Over the years I have run them in water up to the mufflers hunting flooded timber, through very muddy conditions in Louisiana swamp lands hunting deer. I currently use them for duck hunting, deer hunting, and doing a ton of work on my 1920 acre farm and in 360 acres of woods. I have never had any failures.
Regular maintenance only. My ATV mechanic runs a Polaris. Here in Louisiana where these machines get a real workout the two best selling brands are Honda and Polaris. Polaris has more ground clearance and rides better. Ground clearance is important here, Hondas run good in water but drown out before Polaris so I sometimes have to pull the Hondas out of the flooded timber. Honda is a good machine otherwise.
The one thing I have done is replace all my carbureted machines with EFI machines.

I am not a casual user of ATVs. Anybody that says Polaris is a POS is not well informed.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTTOMATIC:

This is funny to hear as I have heard it from my friend as well. I have a Sportsman 700 and although I do not use it much anymore, it has been very good.

I have owned a Yamaha and although good, I would choose the Polaris. Temps up here are consistently well below
0 and often more than -20. I have not taken great care of mine as it sits outside. However, it consistently starts.

There are a lot of good options. However, if I was buying I would but fuel injected and independent suspension. After my friend gave me a hard time about my Polaris we woke up the next morning for our elk hunt. Freezing cold and he had a rough go getting his to run. Mine started the first try. It was like this throughout the hunt.

I'm not endorsing Polaris, just giving some personal experience. I ultimately bought a Kawasaki Teryx and usually drive that now. But, that is a whole other topic..

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had A Honda fourtrax 300 since 1993. have replaced two rubber boots on front suspension, Changed engine oil,batteries, and put gas in it.For any kind of vehicle let alone an off road vehicle it has been amazing.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yamaha 350 big bear ..excellent shape cause I kept my kid OFF it ... :-) Smiler

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I had a 2004 Rancher AT that was reliable and bullet proof.
I had a near death experience with it when I caught a rain ditch in a CRP field one night and flipped over foreword with it. Sold it and went to a Kubota RTV 500 which meets the 50” max regulation.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I have friends with Polaris Ranger 900's, RZR's and Sportsmans and I thought they were great machines. The Ranger is a lot better hunting vehicle than my EFI 700cc Yamaha Rhino I used to own.

I'm excited to have the atv, it is nice to have that extra tool to use when you need it.