Tools

Best Available 4x4 2500 HD Pickup Truck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I plan to use it to travel to the hunt site, which may be 1500 miles away, go off road, and sleep in it - that is, after it's set-up with a camper over the bed. Then, after getting my game, travel with the cleaned animal home.

I've only had two diesels a '96 Dodge Cummins 2500 and a 02 Ford F350PS and I like the 7.3 better. The Cummins got better fuel milage but doesn't pull like the Ford.
Offroad the diesels are heavy and don't have a tight enough turn radius to be really offroadable unless you're in open country.
I'm using F250's for the woods. Mine has a 351M and a C6.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Based on your stated use and if operating cost is an issue, I'd stay with gas. You'll never get your money back on 4-5 miles per gallon better mileage and 60 to 80 cents more per gallon for fuel, never mind recouping the initial higher cost, urea additives and expensive oil changes. If you're going to tow substantial loads a lot of the time, I'd say just the opposite.

New gas trucks can last 300,000 miles too if you don't abuse them. Hell, I had a 2005 Impala with 195,000 on it when I gave it to my son and he's put another 100,000 on it since then. It runs like a two year old car, doesn't burn or leak oil and has never had more than routine maintenance. Long-lived engines are no longer the sole domain of under-worked diesels.

I agree with the lighter truck for offroad, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw this...

"Tempted by that big Ford F-250 diesel? Take a step back. The 6.0-liter Navistar diesel engine has a long list of issues, including loss of power, oil cooler failures, blown head gaskets, warped head bolts and more. Even worse, engine repairs require the entire cab to be separated from the vehicle. Repairs are time consuming and expensive. Stick with a gasoline engine option and you should be good to go."

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the best available 4x4 pickup truck in HD - 2500? Maybe Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc. your thoughts? Also, what kind of gas mileage should one expect, espcially with diesel. Regards, AIU

pick ups I've owned.

86 F 250 6.9 diesel. stolen with 450k on it.
99 F 250 7.3 diesel sold with 385 K on it.
06 2500 Dmax diesel 180k still driving
none of the above ever had a major problem
I would look for a low mile 7.3 or a GM with the Dmax LBZ Motor
fords got 16 mpg loade or empty
chevy gets 16.3 around town
18.3 to 22.5 hywy depending how I drive it

BTW I drive my VW 012 Jetta TDI more now than my truck it get average 48 mpg

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw this as well...

"Ram 2500 (Research all Ram 2500 models) -
Ram doesn't get away unscathed, either. The company's 2500 heavy-duty pickup has been the subject of a long list of recalls for a variety of issues. Those include bad drive shafts and rear axles, and faulty dash warning lights. Bad tie rods that could fracture and break, resulting in a loss of steering control, also make the list of common complaints."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These trucks are manufactured in relatively large volumes and they are supposed to be HD.

It is a joke for them to have significant problems. The engines should never have an issue.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been replacing a lot of front hub assemblies on the Durdges.
With no more Cummings diesels in the Durdges, what will you buy next time?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old unit bearing front hubs. A solution to a problem that does not exist.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
The old unit bearing front hubs. A solution to a problem that does not exist.

Confused? What is your statement?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am talking about the front hub unit bearing assemble that is used now. Two larger bearing with the wheel to one side that cannot be greased. Compared to the usually on a Dana 60 with free wheel hubs. Which gas greaseable bearings with the wheel between them. Not a improvement in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load is all on one side with the unit bearing as seen in the last post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, we have replaced a lot of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you figure the load is all on one side?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my way of looking at it you have the two bearings right against each other and the flange with the wheel studs on one side. On the traditional front end the the flange with the studs was between two wheel bearings. I understand the unit bearings are larger to handle the load but being able to grease them would be nice. The trucks we plow with eat up the unit bearings plus the ball joints the older trucks would would just kill the ball joints.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you know that is what most vehicles have now, small car, large car, SUV, and 1 ton trucks.
Now if you will remember the old vehicles with replaceable and greasable bearings had a much smaller bearing on the outer. The lugs of the hub were closer to the outer bearings. I haven't haven't fooled with a PU and snowplow since moving back from Alaska.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Had a 2010 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton. Loaded Laramie. Put 50k miles on it. It was in for service at least every three months w/both mechanical and electrical issues. Multiple recalls. I still have the service tech's cell phone number in my phone. Called him frequently.
Traded it last fall for a 2013 Ford Diesel and so far so good. Not one single problem in 24k miles. It may crap out on me tomorrow but so far it's been a great truck. Better mileage and more comfortable interior, albeit the Dodge had more bells and whistles.

Very subjective review but that's all I've got!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just saw this...

"Tempted by that big Ford F-250 diesel? Take a step back. The 6.0-liter Navistar diesel engine has a long list of issues, including loss of power, oil cooler failures, blown head gaskets, warped head bolts and more. Even worse, engine repairs require the entire cab to be separated from the vehicle. Repairs are time consuming and expensive. Stick with a gasoline engine option and you should be good to go."

I have a neighbor who HAD a Ford with a 6.0 and it started loosing coolant and then power.
He took it to our local ford dealer and was told the heads were shot, the bill was over $6,000 and ford let him eat the whole bill.
And can someone tell me what urea is for?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
quote:
I just saw this...

I have a neighbor who HAD a Ford with a 6.0 and it started loosing coolant and then power.
He took it to our local ford dealer and was told the heads were shot, the bill was over $6,000 and ford let him eat the whole bill.
And can someone tell me what urea is for?

Stepchild

Urea is so that us diesel drivers don't ruin the planet with our emissions. It is injected into the exhaust gas and it eliminates the particulates generated by the diesel combustion process... or something like that!

And my F15 BMW X5 gets 32-36 MPG highway, FTW! Although it gets me some funny looks pulling into hunting camp with my Bimmer, but hey- it certainly has proven a great highway vehicle with some fairly robust off-road capabilities. You can't put a topper on it, or haul a dead deer in the cargo area (although I did in my last E70 X5), but it certainly can haul ass on the road!

-John

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I had a 2001 Chevy 2500 crew cab long bed. It was the 6.0 gas and I loved it, but it wasn't for the Dallas parking garages I deal with.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote