Notify
Tools

This Is America's Forgotten Automotive Military Hero
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...wWTw?ocid=spartandhp

The M422 Mighty Mite

Innovations included an aluminium body (the first U.S Jeep to boast such a design) and fully-synchromesh transmission. Weighing in at 1,700lbs

Further features included front and rear limited-slip differentials, inboard differential-mounted drum brakes, center-pointed steering and an aluminum V4 engine. Perhaps the most notable addition was the all-round independent suspension, sprung by 1/4-elliptical leaf springs.

Developing 52-horsepower and 90 lb/ft of torque, top speed was quoted at 62mph and off-road carrying capability at 860lbs. There were enough seats for six people, upon folding down the tailgate, too. Wholly impressive for something the same size as Rosanne Barr.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19638 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. It did what was asked of it in all conditions. It also performed a multitude of tasks.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, when I worked for a small town in Colorado, the mayor unilaterally purchased a Humvee on behalf of the town, from one of those surplus places that only sell to govts such as municipalities.

The city council was outraged and insisted the mayor return it.

But before it got away, the police chief and I took it for a joy ride way up in the mountain back roads. Big Grin

Something smaller, like the mighty mite, might be more fun, but also more likely to rollover.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19638 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the Mighty Mite was thought to have 'safety issues' either real or imagined and many were cut up rather than sold at surplus. There are not many around that are driveable.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote