Notify
Tools

Canadian-built ‘Fat Truck’ will take you anywhere
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This would be fun.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...i8bl?ocid=spartandhp

Simply put, ‘Fat Truck’, as it is called, is a slick, elongated box made of aero-grade aluminium, with a stout tube chassis and exoskeleton, mounted on gigantic wheels supporting ultra low-pressure tires with stout paddles.

In a field test conducted just after the launch event in January, the prototype did not reach its target speed while climbing a steep hill on snow, with a full load of eight passengers on board. A decision was quickly made to switch to a larger, 2.2-litre four-cylinder Caterpillar turbo-Diesel engine instead of the 1.7-litre, three-cylinder unit originally installed.

Horsepower goes from 40 to 67 hp and maximum torque from 92 to 153 lb-ft, substantial gains, in both instances. This will mean changes to several related components, including a larger cooling radiator, but the hydrostatic transmission, good for 120 hp, will remain untouched.

XXX

Reality - resistance if futile

Posts: 19552 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drop my 495hp, 1100lb/ft torque Cummins in that thing and you would have a real beast! LOL No, it would be too scary. stir

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Looks like a big Bobcat.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought these were called a sherp https://sherpatv.com/

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://sherpatv.com/production/#cat-50-1815

I suspect the Sherp is a lot more affordable.

Russian made?

English is not the first language of whoever wrote this:

The ATV named Sherp can easily overcome boulders, fallen trees, and other obstacles up to 70 cm high. It floats perfectly, can easily pass marshes and deep snow and is able to move out of the water onto the ice. This trouble-free machine repeatedly gets us to areas where no man has stepped gone before. We have seen the pristine nature of the taiga and tundra, Ugra swamps and mountains of the Kola Peninsula. And everywhere SHERP allowed us to feel strongly and quietly.

It's mentioned in the OP article link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...i8bl?ocid=spartandhp

The idea for Fat Truck came when the founders, with almost 60 years of combined experience in the industrial vehicle and automotive industries, were seeking marketable solutions for clients with extreme, off-road transportation needs. People such as those building or maintaining power lines, pipelines, telecom towers and wind farms, or those leading search and rescue operations over exceptionally remote and/or inhospitable terrain.

“We stumbled upon this recreational vehicle with oversize wheels,” says Zeal Motor president, Maxim O’Shaughnessy. “We tested it and thought that if we combined these wheels with the core features of an industrial-grade machine, we would have a breakthrough [product] that would put us in a unique position on the market.”

That vehicle was the Russian-designed Sherp, semi-famous for videos that show it scooting over rough terrain and paddling through water and broken ice, with its four giant tires spinning merrily. The three partners found it effective but difficult to drive, rather crude and quickly filled with various fumes, inside.

Zeal would aim far higher in terms of comfort, refinement and safety.

XXX

Reality - resistance if futile

Posts: 19552 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
And everywhere SHERP allowed us to feel strongly and quietly.

I would love to feel strongly and quietly! Big Grin

The picture looks like a small RC car?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has a high center of gravity. And be able to high center it. Maybe not.
But at $120,000........no an army Weasel from WW2 I’d like better

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ll take the Toyota HZJ76R