Notify
Tools

FJ 40 build-PICS ADDED
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
How’s the 40 coming along

Posts: 2091 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DL, it will be finished in April....finally. All wiring being done as we speak. Upgraded with a new turbo for the 4bt all custom fabrication as well as all custom parts. Dan is putting the build-book together and I have to have it appraised at FastLane custom cars for my insurance with Hagerty or one of the other insurers. Picking up the wench and fog lights as the only parts left to get. No room under the hood for the two batteries so Dan fabricated a brace and mounted them in the rear cargo area. The cables run under the cab to under the hood.

I went with fob and push-button ignition gps/navigation/blue tooth and kill switch as well as a gps monitoring system for anti-theft. It's going to be my everyday driver. Will post pics when finished.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Can’t wait to see it around town!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tree 'Em I'm driving my restored '89 Ford Bronco II (Red/White)now. Heading to Columbia, MO tomorrow and the 4x4 is coming in handy.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Jealously waiting. I miss my old FJ-40.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds amazing. Can’t wait to see it

Posts: 2091 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little more wiring and I think we are there....finally. Thinking end of next month.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Great news.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rebuilt my old '47 CJ2A after years of use as a bird dhunting rig. Started off in 2014 - finally finished it in 2018. These projects ALWAYS take longer and cost more than you originally estimate.

POST PHOTOS! Sounds like it will look just like my old 1974 FJ40.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Putting air horns in and just finished the auxillary tank. Will have to assist with putting the top on (takes 4 of us) and waiting for the builder to tell me whats left. I know it isn't much. Hoping April. I'll need to forward photos to someone so they will post when finished. I'm too old to figure that one out.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The top is heavy. However, I had a pulley system rigged up in the garage. It took Teo of us, but it took one (usually me, Pfft) in the rear using back and leg muscles to dislodge the top from the body. I don’t think I’m up for that these days.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me either. I elected to have a non-folding windshield so I won't be taking the top off for any reason. They can be pretty expensive.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
pics for Dutch

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike for posting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rig. I have had quite a few TLCs. Is that a 4 BT diesel?

I quite like my 1HZJ 73 6 cylinder diesel with the H55F 5 speed..

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, 4bt and a Dodge NV4500 5 speed with the bugs worked out of the over-drive gear. New upgraded turbo with intercooler (pictured in front of radiator next to power steering pump).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks amazing!

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

Curious why you went with the NV4500 instead of an Asian transmission?

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It came with the 4bt and as well as the custom ooupling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much easier to find parts for the N4500 as well.