New
Find
Notify
Tools

FJ 40 build-PICS ADDED
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend is bringing up an FJ body/drive train/4BT Cummins engine/parts etc... from Little Rock to my builder buddy for me. I estimate it will take about 9 months but will be a ground-up restoration. Safari tan, of course. 5 speed overdrive tranny and 9.50 33 inchers. Looking forward to the build and will follow up with pics as the build progresses.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun project. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1978 FJ40 that has been fully restored. It has been a fun project. It is a daily driver. Can't decide if I want to sell it and start a new project, or just drive it. Looking forward to seeing your project.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great build.
What transmission did you get?
What about engine mounts?

I've kicked around the idea of powering with a 4bt but my time for projects seems to have evaporated the last few years.

Please post pics as you progress with it
Or
If you don't mind a visitor I'd like to get a look in person.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a fiberglass tub and front-end with a powder-coated frame. Trading my original to avoid all the body work and sealing the frame and body. With the 4bt it is not going to be original so probably better in the long run. No worry about salt now. Thinking 34 inch Toyo AT2's with black wheels and two inch lift.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tree-Em, it is an NV 4500 with that pesky over-drive kick-out bug eliminated. Having the fabricator do a modified V-Mount for the Cummins.

The build is at the I70 Motor Sports in Warrenton, Mo. Nathan Zeiser owns the place and Dave Hill is doing the work and fabrication. Dave is a master at working with the FJ's. Builds rock-crawlers mostly. This will be my everyday driver. Looking to get a Confer gas tank in the rear.

Will post pics as it gets underway. Have to get the body off and on a trailer to cart it up to Michigan to trade bodies and frame.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Damn, I miss my FJ-40.

I can't wait to see the build.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Sub'd

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I need a new fabricator to work with since my Go-To guy is on the road in the monster truck circuit full time now.I'll have to check out their shop. It's only 6 miles from my farm so it sure is convenient.
Have you had them do work for you before?

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I represent the family business and have known the owners for 15 years. You should stop by and introduce yourself to Dave, the fabricator/mechanic. He worked with my partner Steve, on projects. Take a look at his rock crawler on the parking lot. Very impressive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates?

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picking the fiberglass body and coated frame up June 3rd. sold the old top and parting out someo of the other pieces. Body man to quote on paint and body work second week of June.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates?

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked out another frame and mocked up the engine mounts. First frame, though sealed, had some detectable pitting under the seal and didn't want to take chances. Inter-cooler came in the other day as well as the windshield and glass assembly.

Ordered another oil pan to fit the 4bt so it clears the frame. Newer frame is off to get sand blasted as well as the body for paint prep.

Everything was on hold for while running for judge. Now back to work on getting it completed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see pics

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Icon has a crew cab 45 or whatever they are called. He imports the cab chassis from Brazil. They are $100,000 from him.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to paint in two weeks. Replaced about all parts from wheel bearings to shock towers to power steering pump. I'm thinking July or August. Will post pics then.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This is a dream rig for me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any photos?

I saw one in Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan, that was done up by a wealthy businessman we were dealing with. Truly awesome!

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockdoc:
All I have are photos of the chassis rebuilt and they are on my phone. His shop is a little dark for good photos. I'll see what I can get together. Picking up the power steering pump and a few other essentials. Will shoot a photo of the paint job when completed.