Find
Notify
Tools

Which UTV do I want?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
We have been running a Can Am Outlander Max. Thinking of a UTV normally 2 of us but mainly mountains hunting and camping. What would you buy?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I really prefer the Polaris Ranger to any of the other UTV's. Lots of power, Good sized bed for game or ranch equipment...

I had a Yamaha Rhino and my friend had a Ranger and after day 1 I wished I had the Ranger. Now he is selling it for $7,000 and I am trying to talk myself out of it (Well worth it...2012 or '13 with 80hrs/low miles). Winch, Probox Roof, Lift, Wheels/tires, LED Lighting, Camo XP edition...etc. He is wanting to get the new Polaris General 1000

If you were closer I'd send you photos to help him with the sale.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I think a ranger would be a good hunting cboice. But probably a touch boring for trails.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched from an ATV to a UTV in 2008. As age was/is a factor, I determined to stop riding "stooped" over the handle bars, and taking Advil after a day on the trail. I chose a Polaris RZR, and I've never had any regrets for my choice.
The wheel base of the RZR is legal for ATV trails, and is one of the reasons for my decision to purchase the Polaris RZR.
For options: Winch, snow plow, windshield, hard top, and doors.
Snow in my driveway is NOT a problem.

Give 'em a look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kawasaki Mule, hauls 5-6, plenty of power for working around my places, hauling feed or fencing but not very fast, only 23-24 mph. I think I'd buy a Ranger if I was to buy another.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The various RZRs would work. Neighbor had a smaller engine then upgraded to either a 900 or 1000. Plowed the heck out of his drive way when we had snow.

However, the wife asked me if the RZR or really any UTV would fit in the Toy Hauler she was wanting us to upgrade to. It is the Momentum with a basement garage. Our Outlander Max would fit fine. BUT, the RZR or Can-Am UTVs are around 70-72" as I read the specs. The garage is only 66" high. So now I have a whole new wrinkle. Roll Eyes

So now I need to see how difficult it would be to collapse the suspension to give me 4"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Kawasaki Teryx. I really like it. I am not certainly saying that it is the best or worse as I do not have experience with the others. However, I will list what I like about it:

1- Room. To me, the crew cab that I bought seemed to have more room the Polaris (especially the back seat).

2- Gas Mileage. Excellent fuel economy. It does better than my Sportsman ATV

3- Price. It was less money than several others I priced.

4- Reliability. I have put 5,000 miles on it. Many of these miles have been in the hills. No issues at all. I will need to check on the alignment. However, mechanically it has been top notch. It gets cold where I live, really cold! It always starts!

Con's- A little loud. But, I believe they all are.

I would look at buying one again, for sure

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a Kawasaki mule. No issues at all, not real fast but it does the job of going back and forth to the deer blind or hauling feed to the feeders. Hi-lo range and 4wd of course.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ranger crew 570 and a regular Ranger 570 on my farm. Both have more than enough horsepower to do all that I need done. They have a comfortable ride and are fairly economical to run. I use them for checking out the fields/crops and for deer/duck hunting in moderate mud. For deer hunting I installed silent rider add on mufflers which have made them much more quiet without any performance loss. I love them. I have owned Polaris atvs since 1999 with almost no issues. We run in mud and water here in Louisiana so they have proven their worth to me. I also have a Polaris sportsman 570 that we ride when needed.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend has a Ranger 750 (something like that), and his son a RZR. The latter is not much of a utility machine for hunting since it does not have a large bed like the Ranger. I use a 2013 Rhino 700, and am very happy with it since it has a metallic bed with lots of room, and plenty of power. The RZR is the fastest of the three, but the Ranger and Rhino are all about utility.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the John Deere option.
Pretty similar to the new Kawasaki Mule. Both have the same 3 cylinder ~ 50 HP motor that is very smooth and very quiet and designed for torque.Probably 45 MPH. The bed is steel and the side panels on the bed can be removed offering a flat bed.
The minuses is a little less leg room in the front seats and no tilt wheel.
It does appear to have better center vehicle ground clearance than most utility UTV's. Keeping from high centering on logs or rocks.
The bed is very large as well.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all of the razor's are trail legal. Some of them are too wide.

Hard to beat the ride of a Razor and they are very capable.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I have been looking at the John Deere option.
Pretty similar to the new Kawasaki Mule. Both have the same 3 cylinder ~ 50 HP motor that is very smooth and very quiet and designed for torque.Probably 45 MPH. The bed is steel and the side panels on the bed can be removed offering a flat bed.
The minuses is a little less leg room in the front seats and no tilt wheel.
It does appear to have better center vehicle ground clearance than most utility UTV's. Keeping from high centering on logs or rocks.
The bed is very large as well.

Pay attention to the gross weight to the UTV before you buy. Nothing wrong with a heavy one for farming, but for muddy trails or ones with deep holes weight works against you.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
We have been running a Can Am Outlander Max. Thinking of a UTV normally 2 of us but mainly mountains hunting and camping. What would you buy?

I see you live in CO. Things to look for are how fast you want to travel, how many people you want to haul and other than hunting, what you will be doing with it. I live in AZ and drive my Honda 1000-5 on the HWY like a car, so i needed higher speed plus it has a bed for equipment, plus jump seats in bed for extra passengers. All UTVs have good points

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else how a squeal coming from the back of their Polaris? I have had it back to the shop and they say it is inherent in the vehicle. My 900 has a loud one, and also the 800 had a noticeable squeal..Solutions?

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote