New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma 4WD TRD Off Road
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a 2018 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 with the Off Road package.

Seems to be rather sturdy, but has a ton of high tech gadgets.

I paid $33,500.00 (sticker was $37,173.).

Did I screw up?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if you were looking for a M6 BMW...

Otherwise a great buy. If you are concerned you paid too much, price it out on https://www.truecar.com

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I just bought a 2018 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 with the Off Road package.

Seems to be rather sturdy, but has a ton of high tech gadgets.

I paid $33,500.00 (sticker was $37,173.).

Did I screw up?

BH63

Nice trucks

Always wanted to own one. But I lease a gmc Silverado and ended up buying a f-150.

If I wanted to do any off road 4x4 stuff I would look at a Tacoma as it is lighter than a full size truck.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was comparing it to my 1996 Toyota T100 and it seems to be 3 or 4 inches narrower than the T100, though the bed length is about the same.

I am now looking for a good topper.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
New Tacoma’s are still just as capable off road as they ever were.

P.m. me if you’re going to sell your T 100.
Chances are I know a dog Hunter in your area who would buy it.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’m also looking st one of these - maybe a few years older. Have an 02 Tundra with 200K. Been a super truck. Hoping for the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I’m also looking st one of these - maybe a few years older. Have an 02 Tundra with 200K. Been a super truck. Hoping for the same.

I have a 2008 Tundra. It only has 34k miles. I use it for carrying a truck camper. It has been a great truck so far.

BH63

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Buffhunter63

Leer

Just put one on my 2018 Taco and had one just like it on my 2005 Taco (217,000 miles and ran like New) that I traded in.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2001 Tundra with an eight cyl engine. 160,000 miles and I still get 18.8 mpg at 65 mph. Used only synthetic oil since day one.

I drove a friends Tacoma with a four cyl and found it lacking. I don't know about the larger engines in the Tacoma.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Tundra has the 5.7L engine, and I can tell a big difference between it and the V6 in the Tacoma.

The V6 seems to have enough power for light hauling, but if for really heavy work, I would go with the Tundra, 5.7L.

JMO

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my 2015 v-6 tacoma to haul a 750 ring-o-matic sump pumper full of mud from carwash sites that are 100 miles away.Plenty of power !

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
I have a 2001 Tundra with an eight cyl engine. 160,000 miles and I still get 18.8 mpg at 65 mph. Used only synthetic oil since day one.

I drove a friends Tacoma with a four cyl and found it lacking. I don't know about the larger engines in the Tacoma.

I will get 20.5 on long trips with my 2002. Mobil 1 in engine and tranny, dealer does transfer and diffs. If I could buy a brand new 2002 tundra today I would do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my 2008 5.7L Tundra I get about 16 MPG when my camper (about 2000 lbs) is on the back and I am towing my boat (about 2500lbs). I generally cruise about 65 MPH on the Interstate and the engine stays around 2000 RPM.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
We drive Toyotas and I have had several kinds of trucks on the farm throughout the years. I have had the Tundra, Tacoma, Four Runner and currently have Sequoia. Gas mileage is terrible on the Tundra and Sequoia. They are both great for towing. No issues pulling my 23 Boston Whaler. Before I purchased my Tundra, I rented one for two weeks and put it to the test on the farm. The Four runner was by far the toughest vehicle that I have ever driven. You would not believe the places that I took it.

I am going to keep my Sequoia for pulling my boats but next truck will be a Tacoma. I need the lighter weight due to getting stuck. Gas mileage is also much better and it looks like we will soon be at $4.00 per gallon here in NC.

Funny we are on this subject. We keep a 2004 Suburban on the farm in Hyde County which is extremely remote. My brother and I got stuck about eight miles away from camp with my 73 year old father this past Sunday. No cell service and only keep sat phone service during hunting season. Luckily, my brother is a big runner so he ran back to camp in knee boots to get my Dads truck. Running on rail road rocks in the evening is not fun. Luckily he had on his Le Chameaus. If you own a pair you understand. He saw about thirty bears, was bitten by several deer flies and was fortunate not to see any wolves. He did have a pistol. Going to add a rhino bumper and heavy winch onto that truck.

You will always pay more for a Toyota but fact is they last longer. A new Tundra with all of the bells and whistles cost more than my first house! I think you got a good deal on your truck.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Four runner was by far the toughest vehicle that I have ever driven. You would not believe the places that I took it.

I've kicked these around too...but can't imagine not having a bed back there to throw stuff in...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned one Chevy, one Ford, and one Dodge and about 8 or 9 Toyotas.

Need I say more.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Toyota makes a good product. My wife still loves her '07 4Runner. And she's hard on vehicles. If Toyota ever produced a true 1 ton dually crew cab truck in the US, I'd really sit up and consider it.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Toyota makes a good product. My wife still loves her '07 4Runner. And she's hard on vehicles. If Toyota ever produced a true 1 ton dually crew cab truck in the US, I'd really sit up and consider it.

When I was in Zimbabwe in SEP 2016, the PH was driving a little diesel 4WD Toyota. Apparently it had a GVWR of 3200 KG (according to what was stenciled on the sides).

The PH has owned several of these and he says they last forever, take a ton of abuse, and you can't overload them.

On my trip there were two of us in the cab, 3 big men (trackers) in the back, along with a dead cape buffalo (maybe 1500 lbs), along with a heavy duty rollcage/hunting rack (maybe another 1000 lbs), two spare tires, a heavy duty winch, a large cooler filled with beverages that ran off secondary 12V batterys (which were also in the back). The truck crawled up hills off-road with all that weight without any strain at all.

I would love to own one of those.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
My son sure is putting your old T-100 to good use. It’s a hell of a mountain truck.

I wish he would get rid of that damn Camaro and bike before something bad happens. I could rest easy if all he had was that T-100.

It’s a shame Toyota doesn’t offer the diesel trucks to the US market. They’re tough little machines.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I've owned one Chevy, one Ford, and one Dodge and about 8 or 9 Toyotas.

Need I say more.

BH63

Yeah, tell us what you have used them for.

I’ve owned Toyotas, Nissan, Ford, dodge, Chevy. Currently drive a Ford.

The Ford is the best truck that I’ve ever owned. However, I use it to pull.

There is no Toyota that will come close what it can tow (IMO)

I sold my 13 Tacoma to my friend. It was great to run around in the hills
and use for driving to job sites. I should have kept it for that purpose.

Little bed space and it will not pull my trailer.

My point is, it depends on what you use it for and it’s hard to argue with the Toyota reliability.
I’m taking my 2012 Ford in for its first repair (def related) after 120,000 miles.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote