New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy cow Batman! Ford Ecoboost
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a new 2017 F150 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmission. 375 hp and 470 torque. Man that sucker is FAST! It is rated to tow 12,200. All from a tiny 6 cylinder. Best of all the torque is all there by 2,500 rpm.
Was running about 70 on the way home from the dealers yesterday and over 110 miles the computer showed 22.7 mpg.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 like yours (fewer HP, 340 I think, and 4 less gears), it'll pull almost anything but it really sucks the gas pulling a trailer loaded with a tractor or a hay trailer with 5 big rolls of hay, only 11 or 12 mpg on the computer. Sort of hard to start either of those loads in a field (even with lots of torque) but will pull 'em as fast as you want to go. The aluminum bed sucks, not very tough, but overall I like the truck.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Bought a new 2017 F150 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmission. 375 hp and 470 torque. Man that sucker is FAST! It is rated to tow 12,200. All from a tiny 6 cylinder. Best of all the torque is all there by 2,500 rpm.
Was running about 70 on the way home from the dealers yesterday and over 110 miles the computer showed 22.7 mpg.

It is an awesome engine.

I have a retractable bed cover that cuts into fuel economy.

I get excellent city mileage - 19-20 in stop and go traffic.

Sweet spot in 35-45 miles an hr with no stops or traffic - get 27 miles per gallon. Only get this condition at 3 am driving on A1A.

Mine in 2016 - so yours is a newer better version of a great engine.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We also own a 2017 Expedition. But for some odd reason Ford chose to equip it with the 6 speed and the 365 hp - 420 torque version.
I dont mind the 6 speed, seems like a very capable combination. But better fuel mileage with more power is always better.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've a 2013 F150 Ecoboost, just turned 88,000 mi today. Knock on wood, a very trouble free truck for me.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 FX4 crewcab ecoboost with 66K miles. The power is exceptional. I even tow a 8200lb horse trailer from time to time, with no problems.

I'm not sure about the newer model, but be sure you check your oil for dilution. On ours, in only 3000Miles between oil changes, my oil level would rise almost 2" up the stick and smell like chainsaw gas. It's fairly common for direct inject engines to have some fuel leak into the oil, but some ecoboosts are excessive. They have a TSB issued for it. In some cases they replace the PCV valve and then re-flash the computer so it doesn't run as rich during warm up.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
gsganzer
With that much fuel getting into the oil in 3,000 miles I would wonder how much that has lowered the flash point of the oil and the issues that might cause.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 F150 with the little 2.7 Ecoboost. I can accelerate uphill pulling a boat. I don't think there is a mileage advantage over the 3.5.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't like it when the turbo's need rebuilt/replaced at 60K...for every action there is an equ and opposite reaction, sure does make power but at what cost to the hardware ?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I bought an F150 on Saturday and traded in my trouble free 2011 F150, both with the 350 V8. I looked at the 3.5 ecoboost but when you look at the numbers, it's about a $2000 option over V8 power in a comparable truck. And the EPA rating is only about 1mpg better. I can buy a lot of gas for the $2000 cost difference. And on the 50 mile drive home from the dealer I got 22mpg at 65mph. I had enough of turbos 35 years ago when I sold my Porsche 911 turbo.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I bought an F150 on Saturday and traded in my trouble free 2011 F150, both with the 350 V8. I looked at the 3.5 ecoboost but when you look at the numbers, it's about a $2000 option over V8 power in a comparable truck. And the EPA rating is only about 1mpg better. I can buy a lot of gas for the $2000 cost difference. And on the 50 mile drive home from the dealer I got 22mpg at 65mph. I had enough of turbos 35 years ago when I sold my Porsche 911 turbo.

I went to Fords site and built a 2018 XLT. The V8 is a $1,995 option. The 3.5 ecoboost is $2,595. A difference of $600. If you move to the higher trim levels the price for both drops.

Ford doesnt make a 350 V8 for the current F150's. In 2011 they offered a 6.2 liter which is 378 ci.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have been researching the Eco-boost and owners are claiming they are getting NO WHERE near published fuel economy. And it gets even worse while towing?

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I have been researching the Eco-boost and owners are claiming they are getting NO WHERE near published fuel economy. And it gets even worse while towing?

I haven't towed with mine, but regularly get 20mpg on the highway at 70-75mph. Long haul on the highway with cruise set between 65-70 I can squeak out 21-22. City drops to about 18.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY first 700 miles in the F150 has averaged 22.5. That has been roughly 80% highway 20% city. Have not towed with it yet.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have been reading around 14 city and 19 highway at 70mph? A friend has one and really likes the power and truck but only tows a bass boat on the weekends. I will ask him what he gets.What rear end gears do you have?

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My truck is a 4 door supercab, 4 wd, 6.5 bed, 10 speed transmission, gears are 3:55's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
My truck is a 4 door supercab, 4 wd, 6.5 bed, 10 speed transmission, gears are 3:55's

I have a 4 door supercab, 4wd, 5.5 bed, 6 speed.

Just drove from Orlando to Houston.

1000 miles - 20.6 miles per gallon

I have a hard retractable cover that is not good for aerodynamics on the highway.

My best mileage has been 25-27 running at 45 miles per hour with no stops.

My city driving is 18.75-20 miles per gallon:

The engine is awesome.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
gsganzer
With that much fuel getting into the oil in 3,000 miles I would wonder how much that has lowered the flash point of the oil and the issues that might cause.

I've heard of premature timing chain wear due to the lower viscosity.

Regarding mileage that some others have asked about.
All around daily mixed driving, I get about 16.5 MPG. If you drive on the highway at 65- 70 and act like you're balancing a Faberge egg on the hood, you can eeek out 19 MPG. I don't bother looking at towing mileage, but it's probably not great.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see how it does pulling 12000 lbs in the rocky mountains. Maybe I should sell my Diesel.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to see how it does pulling 12000 lbs in the rocky mountains. Maybe I should sell my Diesel.

I've pulled 7000-8000 pounds with mine, it'll do it but struggles to get it started and strains a bit on the small hills we have around my area. I get around 22.0 mpg on the highway and last Saturday, pulling a 2 wheel trailer with a Kawasaki mule mileage went down to 16.6. I won't be selling my diesel, but I do like the Ford for most everyday chores. I hadn't heard about the fuel in oil issue, I don't like that very much.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote