Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"farm" ATV
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have a couple Hondas including a 1988 300 that still runs great. They are pretty forgiving and a 400 will get you almost anywhere you want to go.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Look at the Kubota RTV line. I have a 500 and a 900 you cant beat them for reliability. No drive belts to break, they are hydrostatic drive. They are tax and registration exempt as farm equipment here in MO. Kubota offers 0% financing too. The 500 will squeeze in to the bed of a full size truck. I got rid of my Honda Ranchers after I got my first side by side. They are safer and more comfortable to boot.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kubotas may be really nice, but just looking at the spec sheets, they cost more and do not compare well on the load and tow ratings of the Hondas and the Kawasaki Mules.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Kubota's RTV line will out pull and has a larger payload capacity then all of the competition. Perhaps you misread the info. Cost is comparable to others in their class.
I have had nearly every side by side made over the last 10 years and for farm use/general utility where speed is not the determining factor but reliability and payload is Kubota beats them all.
I'm about an hour from you if you want to come get some first hand experience with the Kubota RTVs. I also have a Argo 8x8 with tracks to hunt out of. Now that is the ultimate hunting machine and worth every penny!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct about the Kubota spec sheet and I will take a closer look. I misread the Kubota data the first time around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a Kubota 1140 several years back, a very versatile vehicle. The ability to convert from a four seater to large bed two seater is quite handy. I use it daily on my farm.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
For me, probably not what is at the top of the list but around 3 or 4 is if there is a dealer within a convenient driving distance. I pretty much do that for all small stuff-chainsaws, tractors, outboards, etc.

Even if you do all you own servicing (which I do), there are times something either needs a dealer part or sometimes a dealer mechanic you are on a name basis with, so you can call him and ask "how many turns on the yellow screw?" or something similar.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to buy a new 2015 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 today. The local dealer did not want to play let's make a deal so I will have to try again or drive a couple of hours to get the price I offered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was able to manage a little better at a different shop yesterday. I offered a little more and they took a little less plus I don't have to waste most of a day and the gas to drive half way across the state. I figure it came out about even in the wash. I could post a picture but it looks like every other red 2015 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 you have ever seen.

Thanks for all the comments. It really helped a lot.