New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a 1948 Willys soft top
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1948 Willys that I need a top for. Just don't want to spend a grand on one. Used is fine.Hard top would work if close enough to drive to from northern Michigan.

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will only use this for about one week a year.I have a 5 window hardtop with both doors, original, no rust
but it is for a model that is a bit longer in the front than my 1948. Will trade or sale

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
CJ2a I assume. I have one of those and I am modifying an M151 top for it; you can get new ones for $100 for those. Too wide, so they need cutting and sewing. I also assume you have bows?
And they need front grommets as, as you know, they fit on the windshield differently than WW2, or CJ2a. Starting with the Cj3A, and M38 they use a channel for the top to slide into.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd is the man on Jeeps.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beachwood canvas?

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will jump. What is Beechwood canvas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes Beachwood does make a correct CJ2a top; the bow kit and top; will set you back over $2k.
PM me if you want to know how to to it for less.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what I am doing this week; same goal as the OP, on my 1948 CJ2a. I decided to go with the M38 top instead of modifying a 151. Easier, but costs more.
This is the easiest route, and looks best. Unless you want to get a commercial plastic top; just no, for me.
Buy an M38 canvas top, and side curtains.(Surplus city, or OD cloth) buy the M38 top bows and side brackets that hold the bows in place. Ron Fitzpatrick jeep parts. Get an M38 front windshield channel for the top. This is screwed into the front of the windshield frame, and is cheaper than buying the 11 correct turn studs that WW2 and CJ2a tops used. They are readily available.
Or you can get a CJ3A, or M38 windshield frame with one piece glass; those already have the top channel on the front.
Buy 12 footman loops.
Drill for the bow mounts on the side of the body, three 3/8s holes per side, and the footman loops, 6 in the back and three on each side, and put it together. If you do not want the side curtains, then delete 6 of the footman loops.
Remove the tail gate chains and bolt on your tailgate as it can no longer he opened. The Military M38 is the only Military jeep with a tail gate, and it is permanently bolted shut.
The Mil Spec heavy canvas tops will last forever if you keep them indoors; Less outdoors.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my 1947 CJ2A I use it only in moderae weather. If it gets too cold to travel w/o a top,I drive my SWB Landcruiser. I hat edrilling holes in my pristine Jeep tub.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote