THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PHOTO ALBUMS FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
You have not hunted enough
 Login/Join
 
one of us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
If you have never missed a shot at a buck or antelope.

Come join me for a walk and stalk hunt for a blesbuck ram that's needed for venison for needy people during this lockdown period.

Yes, I had all the permits in place as required.




Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

 
Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have never missed a shot at a buck or antelope.



Now I know I have hunted plenty enough.

90% of the times I shot at an animals I never hit what I aim at! rotflmo


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 54353 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looked like that pos monopod
was as unsteady as could be.
No wonder his shot missed imo.

George


"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV, RMEF

George L. Dwight
 
Posts: 4965 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
If you have never missed a shot at a buck or antelope.



Now I know I have hunted plenty enough.

90% of the times I shot at an animals I never hit what I aim at! rotflmo


Then we need to go hunt some more, the more we practice the luckier we get...


Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

 
Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Looked like that pos monopod
was as unsteady as could be.
No wonder his shot missed imo.

George


They are very unsteady, just did not have enough hands to carry and stalk with a camera on a tripod, shooting sticks, and rifle.

I have learned quite a lot so will get it done better with the next hunt/video.

The first miss I am sure I hit tall grass close to me that cause the deflection.


Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

 
Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sadly, that video shows houses and power lines, which doesn’t mean it is a hunt in the real sense.


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 54353 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does some of that yellow grass remind you of Trumps hairstyle?
 
Posts: 3169 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Sadly, that video shows houses and power lines, which doesn’t mean it is a hunt in the real sense.


Yes and why walk, it's likely just a fenced paddock and full of vehicle tracks. Want a bit of venison, just drive and shoot from the vehicle. Don't make it into a hunt when its not, and if you want to pretend it is then make use of the natural rests, trees, rocks. Walking round a paddock with a damn monopod, what next???
 
Posts: 2935 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The Fisr time I hunted South Africa, I jumped out of the truck and shot, everyone was laughing at me, saying I should just shoot from the back.

A couple of days later, I did just that.

When in Rome..

It did not distract from the fun we were having, but to call it hunting is a bit of an exageration.


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 54353 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The Fisr time I hunted South Africa, I jumped out of the truck and shot, everyone was laughing at me, saying I should just shoot from the back.

A couple of days later, I did just that.

When in Rome..

It did not distract from the fun we were having, but to call it hunting is a bit of an exageration.


It's sad that guys here on AR go out of their way to criticize hunting.

I am not and have not done this here, but then we all cant go and hunt in Tanzania or Zimbabwe. Although we all dream about it.

Hunting for meat and the experience is what it is all about. I have hunted for this blesbuck not just shot it from a pick up although I could have as I needed to cull a blesbuck for meat for needy people.


Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

 
Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerhard.Delport:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The Fisr time I hunted South Africa, I jumped out of the truck and shot, everyone was laughing at me, saying I should just shoot from the back.

A couple of days later, I did just that.

When in Rome..

It did not distract from the fun we were having, but to call it hunting is a bit of an exageration.


It's sad that guys here on AR go out of their way to criticize hunting.

I am not and have not done this here, but then we all cant go and hunt in Tanzania or Zimbabwe. Although we all dream about it.

Hunting for meat and the experience is what it is all about. I have hunted for this blesbuck not just shot it from a pick up although I could have as I needed to cull a blesbuck for meat for needy people.


Gerhard,

No one is out to criticize hunting or how you do it.

But call it as it is.

I have several hundred animals in my back yard, and I do SHOOT some sometimes.

It is never HUNTING.

And frankly, for me at least, one hunts big game in the wild.

In the video you have shown one can never calls it HUNTING.

Nothing wrong with your type of "hunting".

But don't go out of your way and try to convince us it is actually HUNTING.

I have done it twice in South Africa, and enjoyed it for what it was.


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 54353 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I mirrors Saeed's comments and in my case it is also somewhat of a bigger cultural thing. Here in my country we more often speak of shooting rather than hunting. We use the term hunting in a broader sense whereas much more commonly used is shooting. We go deer shooting, duckshooting, rabbit shooting, etc. For our game animals we have no season and no restriction on sex, age or number of animals that can be shot or what you can use to shoot them with. On private land we can spotlight, use thermal imaging scopes, and shoot from vehicles, boats, atvs, motorbikes, anyway you like.
We just call it shooting and don't distinguish between animals shot in a spotlight from a vehicle to those that may have been stalked and shot on foot, and we don't distinguish between the 'hunters' either. Each to his own and animals on the deck for a trophy, meat on the table or animal to sell. Like most NZ hunters I have done it all even a few animals shot from the helicopter. I don't make it into anything other than shooting animals no matter how they are got.
I have no issue with how you got your animal but it was just shooting an animal in a paddock that for purposes of getting meat to eat could have easily been accomplished by shooting from the vehicle. To make it into a "hunt" with a couple of missed shots to boot seemed to be stretching it. I would have spotlighted from the vehicle and had the animal in the freezer in no time flat tu2
 
Posts: 2935 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gerhard


Nothing wrong with your hunt.

Looks similar to an antelope hunt in the USA that would take place in western North Dakota, Western South Dakota, Western Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico and other states offering antelope hunts.

You see fences, houses, vehicle trails in the pastures. Not to mention good roads to the fence gate, power lines, water tanks and such.

Your shooting sticks (mono pod) are some of the poorest I have ever used. That will be a question to the PH in the future, what are we using. Thinking that I will just pack bring my own in the future.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne
 
Posts: 1009 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
To be to the title of this thread, one should have said;

You have not hunted enough if you have not hunted a truly wild area.

No houses, no power lines, no roads.

All you hear is the sound hippos, hyenas and lions at night.


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 54353 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
To be to the title of this thread, one should have said;

You have not hunted enough if you have not hunted a truly wild area.

No houses, no power lines, no roads.

All you hear is the sound hippos, hyenas and lions at night.


I would agree with you on this.

However, hunting in Alaska in the bush would rate very high. I have hunted areas in Alaska that have a nice river running close by camp, eagles and Black, Brown or grizzlies walking through your camp site.

Remember the day that we found a fresh skull from a grizzly kill not more than 20 yards from our tent and never heard a thing. Watched him the next day for about 5 hours, eating my moose that I had killed the day before. we had only backpacked out 6 loads before he moved in.

There are still wild places in the world and they are not all in Africa.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne
 
Posts: 1009 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am sure you are right.

In fact, as long as you far away from so called civilization, you should be fine to enjoy the wilderness.


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 54353 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
To be to the title of this thread, one should have said;

You have not hunted enough if you have not hunted a truly wild area.

No houses, no power lines, no roads.

All you hear is the sound hippos, hyenas and lions at night.


I would agree with you on this.

However, hunting in Alaska in the bush would rate very high. I have hunted areas in Alaska that have a nice river running close by camp, eagles and Black, Brown or grizzlies walking through your camp site.

Remember the day that we found a fresh skull from a grizzly kill not more than 20 yards from our tent and never heard a thing. Watched him the next day for about 5 hours, eating my moose that I had killed the day before. we had only backpacked out 6 loads before he moved in.

There are still wild places in the world and they are not all in Africa.


I must agree with the post above! There are thousands of miles of open land that is only accessible with a dog sled in deep winter, or a bush plane on floats the rest of the year.

……………………………………………………………….. oldMacD37


....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

 
Posts: 14521 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
I mirrors Saeed's comments and in my case it is also somewhat of a bigger cultural thing. Here in my country we more often speak of shooting rather than hunting. We use the term hunting in a broader sense whereas much more commonly used is shooting. We go deer shooting, duckshooting, rabbit shooting, etc. For our game animals we have no season and no restriction on sex, age or number of animals that can be shot or what you can use to shoot them with. On private land we can spotlight, use thermal imaging scopes, and shoot from vehicles, boats, atvs, motorbikes, anyway you like.
We just call it shooting and don't distinguish between animals shot in a spotlight from a vehicle to those that may have been stalked and shot on foot, and we don't distinguish between the 'hunters' either. Each to his own and animals on the deck for a trophy, meat on the table or animal to sell. Like most NZ hunters I have done it all even a few animals shot from the helicopter. I don't make it into anything other than shooting animals no matter how they are got.
I have no issue with how you got your animal but it was just shooting an animal in a paddock that for purposes of getting meat to eat could have easily been accomplished by shooting from the vehicle. To make it into a "hunt" with a couple of missed shots to boot seemed to be stretching it. I would have spotlighted from the vehicle and had the animal in the freezer in no time flat tu2


You are absolutely correct! The above has nothing, at all, to do with hunting!
…………………………………………………………………………………. 2020


....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

 
Posts: 14521 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I have “worked” in real wilderness areas, some of which was unmapped. I don’t like it and never want to experience it again. Going into real wilderness without a guide and carrying your own kit is considerably different from what most on here are calling a wilderness experience. At what point of dragging all the comforts of home into the “wilderness” does it become civilization?
 
Posts: 859 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2020 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia