Find
Notify
Tools

Espace Rambouillet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
About two miles from my house is a Wild Animal Park called Espace Rambouillet. While it has a few common mammals from local forests, like Roe Deer and Euro Stags, it also has a decent collection of raptors.

Since I bought a Nikkor 200mm-500mm lens a few weeks ago I decided I would try to get it to work on some "birds-in-flight".

The bird handlers are excellent, with live demonstrations of each type of raptor's hunting techniques; from fish in the water to other flying birds.

I'm sure that those of you who have tried to photograph birds in flight know that there is a learning curve before you get the hang of it. Even when you do, the equipment has to be up to the task of getting these things in focus.

It's so much easier when they stop flying.

I'm happy with the lens and you don't need to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy it. I'm sure it will work well for me on my next photo safari. Being able to practice on birds in a controlled environment was good training.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I also shot some mammals.

For those who are interested in the technical stuff, camera is a Nikon D810, lens is a Nikkor AFS 200-500mm f/5.6 attached to an RRS monopod.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love the raptors. Wonderful photos as always.

As you live in Rambouillet, I was wondering if you'd ever seen any wallabies in the area? There is supposed to be a wild population based on escapees from the park.

cheers
stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I’ve never heard of escaped wallabies and haven’t seen any. There are a few other wildlife parks in the region, maybe it was another?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw an article in an English newspaper a while back about them. Just now I found this - http://passionnature78.canalbl...8/06/04/9442980.html

Pretty cool to bump into them - unless you're driving!

cheers
stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have been to the Parc du Sauvage mentioned in the article, it is also not too far from Rambouillet. I don't think the wallabies have made it up to my end of the Rambouillet forest, yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice images Wink, as always.

Tom

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I’ve never heard of escaped wallabies and haven’t seen any. There are a few other wildlife parks in the region, maybe it was another?

Some escaped, especially one with genetic defects, completely white.
One of my friends being on duty at the Gendarmerie brigade saw a young Gendarme handling an automobilist having had a collision with it and the green horn almost wanted the driver to have an alcotest until my friend told him about le chateau de Sauvage reservation.

Your photos could easily won a prize, William!

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Edmond,

Thanks for the compliment.

William

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful images Monsieur Wink.

That roebuck is a record class..

Thanks for sharing..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote