Find
Notify
Tools

How to take good night photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
Seeking advise on how to take good photos at night (in the field in total darkness) of hunters posing with game animals. Any particular camera that works best? I have used a small led light with good results but needs to be brighter, anyone else try this and what light did you use?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I cannot be of help, I would not hesitate to pm Saeed as he obviously has all the KSAs in game/wildlife photography.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In total darkness you are not going to be able to take any photos without a flash.

Any of the currently available digital cameras with a flash can do that to varying results.

For best results without using a large SLR, I suggest a Canon G series camera . They are up to G16 right now, so you might be able to pick a discontinued model cheaper.

Careful if you are going to use a small camera with out a flash and an external light source.

Many of them push the ISO very high, which tends to produce photos with lots of noise artifacts which do not look very good at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a book by Massad Ayoob where the cover photo is taken in total darkness and the only light is from the muzzle flash of a 4" 357 mag with 125 gr bullet.That I think was before the use of muzzle flash reducers in the powder.

Saeed should do very well with a 600NE in that regard! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Saeed has given good advice, but varying results means just that. Small cameras with small integrated flashes are not easy to control for best results, since they are automatic with a one size fits all approach.

For "best results" I think a DSLR with an external flash mounted on the top of the camera (and getting it high above the lens) will lessen red-eye. But DSLRs and external flashes require that you know something about photography for best results.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the small Canon cameras, like the S95 which I use frequently when I want a pocket sized camera and cannot lug around a big one. This little camera also allows taking RAW files (rather than just jpg's), which means quite a few things can adjusted or fixed in post-processing with good software.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
I have a book by Massad Ayoob where the cover photo is taken in total darkness and the only light is from the muzzle flash of a 4" 357 mag with 125 gr bullet.That I think was before the use of muzzle flash reducers in the powder.

Saeed should do very well with a 600NE in that regard! Big Grin

Hey, if your camera doesn't have a flash, your muzzle does! Just time your picture as the gun goes off. Smiler

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ayoob book is "Stressfire" ,goes back a few years. Muzzle flash looks like a flame thrower !! flame about 12" diameter and 6' long !

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was at a school function a few days ago.

I had a Canon 5D Mk III, and a friend had a Nikon D800.

Both of us were trying to take photos without flash, in falling light.

I managed to get some photos which were adequate - but they were not as good as normal.

Just goes to show that even with some of the best SLRs available today, photos in law light require a good light source.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
A camera with a hot shoe that allows a good external flash makes a big difference.

The single easiest thing you can do is make sure you have a background of thick foliage close behind you can the animal. You will get far better results than having the inky black of nothing behind you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your camera is so equipped, raise the ISO to its highest setting (i.e. 3600 or larger). Then use a tripod to hold the camera steady. There's two ways to shoot in what your eyes see as total darkness
1. Use very long exposure settings,camera set to manual.
2. If the scene is stationary, use a flashlight to 'paint" the subject and do 15, 30, 40 second exposures. Don't let the flashlight beam point at the camera lens, and make sure there is no light leakage around the lens.

The second approach will make for some very interesting effects as there will be no shadows if you paint the entire scene.

Practice this at home in a completely dark room, because it takes time to get it right.

Posts: 378 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poprivit:
If your camera is so equipped, raise the ISO to its highest setting (i.e. 3600 or larger). Then use a tripod to hold the camera steady. There's two ways to shoot in what your eyes see as total darkness
1. Use very long exposure settings,camera set to manual.
2. If the scene is stationary, use a flashlight to 'paint" the subject and do 15, 30, 40 second exposures. Don't let the flashlight beam point at the camera lens, and make sure there is no light leakage around the lens.

The second approach will make for some very interesting effects as there will be no shadows if you paint the entire scene.

Practice this at home in a completely dark room, because it takes time to get it right.

That is very good advice. A tripod and a flashlight are your friend

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Large f/1.2 Aperture

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing you need to consider is that an aut0-focus lens needs some light to achieve an accurate focus.

If I were going to pick up the best combination of lens and body I'd start with a Nikon D3s - available used for around $3K - and the best best 50-55mm f1.4 lens I could afford and use the small Nikon SB-400 flash.

I'd focus using a flashlight - lock the focus- turn out the light - and shoot.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check my post on 'Pistol Shooting', 'Night Photos'.