Find
Notify
Tools

Joshua Tree National Park
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
If you are a rock climber then you probably already know of Joshua Tree National Park. It's the winter home of the Yosemite climbing crowd. I went in April of 2014 for the second time, but took my camera and lucked out with the cactus in bloom, an overcast day and pleasant temperatures. The campgrounds there are pristine.

[/url]

March and April are definitely the good months for photography, since cacti don't bloom for long.

The plant species in Joshua Tree are also worth the trip. I don't think there is anything like this elsewhere.

If you like the desert this is a "must see" place. The specific plant life and the rock formations are only a three hour drive from Los Angeles. All photos with a 50mm Nikkor at f/5.6 or a Nikkor 28mm at f/8 on a D700. I don't need no stinking zoom lens anymore.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Wink....I love primes too tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I caught this rabbit exceeding the speed limit.

Sometimes the signs seem a little incongruous.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Wink.
Back in the mid '70's while driving OTR. I went thru there on that hwy. Can't tell you the number now, too many yrs ago.
Sure did amaze me to see those tree's that looked like way over grown yucca plants. Nearly the same spikes on 'em from what I could tell.

Thing is, those bigger one's are several hundred yrs old. Maybe you took some pics of signs next to some of those tree's.

The way it looks in these pics, no graffiti, wonderful.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Thanks for sharing Wink.
Back in the mid '70's while driving OTR. I went thru there on that hwy. Can't tell you the number now, too many yrs ago.
Sure did amaze me to see those tree's that looked like way over grown yucca plants. Nearly the same spikes on 'em from what I could tell.

Thing is, those bigger one's are several hundred yrs old. Maybe you took some pics of signs next to some of those tree's.

The way it looks in these pics, no graffiti, wonderful.

George

In my photographs there are several types of yucca plants and a Joshua is a kind of yucca. I should probably go back and identify them, since they aren't all Joshua Trees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink:
Lots of yucca around these parts in some areas too. Shucks, even have a neighbor that's planted the blasted things just down the block.
Some people, huh?
Some areas are thick with 'em, mostly they're scattered though. Nothing grown up like those tree's up here though. Far as I know that's the only area in the world that has the Joshua tree's.
Sure nice seeing them again. Did you take pics of some of the signs telling about their ages? IF you did, please post them too. Help educate folks that have never seen such things before.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Moving to the 1800 pixel wide format is a pretty exciting development for posting photographs on the forum. It's almost a paradigm shift for landscape photographs, since sweeping panoramas lose all interest in dinky little photos and are usually visually too "busy" to make out any detail when viewed at a small size.

Joshua Tree is truly a desert garden. I'm still impressed with its beauty.

One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
amazing place, I would love to visit someday.

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
A couple more just to get a sense of scale:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Still life:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Almost like a fireworks finale:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
nice work...

been through there a few times did spend the time to do it justice.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1574 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You probably noticed in some of my pictures that Forrest was also carrying a camera. I realize this is old stuff, but it's never too late to set the record straight. Besides, it's the right time of the year to think about a visit to Joshua Tree National Park.

A couple of Forrest working on his photography:

For most of his shots above he was using his ultra-wide Nikkor 10-24mm zoom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos. In my callow, misguided youth I lived in southern California for a while and spent a lot of time in Joshua Tree National Forest, rock climbing and camping. This brought back many memories.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. These are really good pictures. THanks for posting.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote