Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia family vacation II
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted
Second and final part, also includes a picture or two from South Africa on the way back.

Above: Dances with Wolves in Namibia. A better translation would likely be: wolves dancing.

Above: A couple of spotted eagle owl chicks at Sossusvlei, Namibia. The wife and I both watched as a jackal ran by the tree and actually saw the two babies. We were rooting for the owls and were debating on wheather we should chase off the jackal but decided nature had to run it's course. Fortunately the one paraent saw the jackal, gave a mighty alarm call and both chicks made it to a higher branch.

Above: Never quit. This tree just not want to give up.

Above: My youngest son took this picture while the wife and I made sure the owls were safe - at the base of the dune! Sossusvlei, Namibia.

Above: Traveling along the border between South Africa and Namibia. We are on the Namibian side looking down at the Orange River. This is in the Richtersveld region spanning between the two countries.

Above: Same area as the previous picture from another point of view. Grapes are mostly grown along the banks of the river with limited alfalfa and almost zero other commercial crops.

Above: We exited Namibia at the diamond mining town of Oranjemund. Because we did not have pre-issued permits we could not gain access to the town itself but had to "take a left" at the border post. The immigration employees at the Namibian side must be some of the friendliest immigration officials in the world. I met one who actually had a sense of humor. The first town / village on the South African side is Alexander Bay. This did not hold much so we kept going down the coast to Port Nolloth where it was freezing cold for the first time on our trip. The locals do not have much in the form of entertainment so did what they do best in those parts - use alcohol. While I was on the beach taking pictures they whistled at me and we had an inpromptu picture taking session.

Unemployment and alcohol abuse run hand-in-hand all along the West coast of South Africa at every little town we stopped at.

Above: On the beach at Port Nolloth this seagull flew by.

Above: He was in a head wind which gave me time to nail him a second time.

Above: The town of Nababeep (place of the rhino). Totally run down hotel with a name that I can remember since I started looking at maps. Pity the place looks what it looks like.

Above: A springbok in the Namakwa National Park. During our winter months it rains in this region and allowing the flowers to bloom in one amazing carpet covering the land as far as the eye can see.

This is it, apart from the big hole at Kimberley that we stopped at briefly. All the best to everyone for 2015.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Nice, thank you for sharing.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the visit!

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Some beautiful images, thank you for sharing them.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful! Thank you.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote