New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canada Moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took these photos just north of Whitecourt, Alberta July 9 2008. Scouting country with two good friends, Pete and Jeff.

Hope you enjoy them.

When Jeff spotted the bull it was bedded down. Then it got up and began feeding, moving away from us.

We snuck up behind the bull and Pete called to it, just to see how it would react.

The bull has 3 tines on the right brow palm and 4 on the left. I figure it's about 45". It's still got a month to grow, I don't think it'll get too much wider but it should get taller and fill out some. Maybe 50" or just over.

Right after this pic the bull moved out.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Nice pics and a beautiful animal thumb

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, in the picture 2nd from the bottom, where would you hold for a shot on the moose?

Just in front of the onward foreleg? Just behind?

I'll be moose hunting this fall in Ontario...and inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
friarmeier, with the moose in that stance I would shoot for the center of the shoulder. With an appropriate caliber and bullet you should be sure to bust the shoulder and get both lungs. The moose would probably drop in it's tracks.

If you were just to the right of the shoulder that might be okay, but he's on just enough of an angle that you might not get the right lung...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
friarmeier, with the moose in that stance I would shoot for the center of the shoulder. With an appropriate caliber and bullet you should be sure to bust the shoulder and get both lungs. The moose would probably drop in it's tracks.

If you were just to the right of the shoulder that might be okay, but he's on just enough of an angle that you might not get the right lung...

In your opinion, would a Barnes TSX out of a 338 Win Mag qualify?

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GrayDuck I do not use Barnes bullets personally, but I have read an awful lot about them. I would think a TSX of 210grs to 225grs would be great.

I think the Nosler Partitions are perfect. I have used the 225gr NP for years and shot a bunch of moose with that bullet. The 250gr NP is also good of course.

Hornady IL 250gr, Speer GS 250gr would also be very good and I have heard good things about the 250gr Sierra GameKing.

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What rifle and bullet are you going to use on that moose?
Very nice looking moose.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

Maybe one day I will do some scouting in Canada

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't gotten back to the thread until now!

When you say "center of the shoulder," should I imagine that to be along the axis of a vertical line, drawn flush with the left side of the on-side leg?

I'll be shooting a 270 WCF with 150 grain A-Frames. I'll try to avoid the shoulder blade if possible.

Many thanks!

friar

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
friarmeier in my opinion a .270Win with 150gr Swift A-Frames would work just fine on that moose, even if you took the shoulder shot.

In this photo, there is a V formed by the rippling shoulder muscle, I would be aiming right in the center of that V; about a third of the way up the shoulder.

Good luck with your moose hunting!

As for me, I have used a .338WM for most of my moose, but I have shot 1 with a .416RM and a bunch with the .30-06.

My .338WM is my go-to moose rifle for sure.

That's me with the rack from my Oct 2003 bull...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice rack.

Congrats.

I would have thought that the 270 Win would be a light caliber for moose even with 150gr bullets....

30 06 with 180gr or 338Win Mag might be my calibers of choice....

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jakkals friarmeier said he would be using 150gr Swift A-Frames in his .270WCF. They would work for sure. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:
Out of curiosity, in the picture 2nd from the bottom, where would you hold for a shot on the moose?

Just in front of the onward foreleg? Just behind?

I'll be moose hunting this fall in Ontario...and inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

friar

I shot a 54" bull 2 years ago that was at just that angle. I shot right to the point of the shoulder with a 300H&H, 180gr. Hornady, at 200 yards.

Lined up for my followup shot and just watched the bull waver side to side, then he fell over.
The bullet went through and lodged in the skin on the off-side. 126 gr. retained weight. Your .338 with a premium bullet will do fine.

It was in Geraldton, Ontario.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
One of my bear guides in Canada is very good friends with a native indian. That native uses a 270 with 140 Failsafes and kills lots of moose with it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Its very intresting about the 270 Win

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the input. It's nice to see some photos, too, of moose and start painting a picture in my mind's eye. They are big indeed!

My A-frame load is quite accurate, especially given that the barrel is a featherweight. I put it together for a 2005 elk hunt, but never pulled the trigger...hopefully we'll have a different out come this time!

Again, many thanks,

friar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
friarmeier if your guide is any good you should end up with a shot opportunity like this...

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Demonical, if I don't get a chance at bullwinkle, maybe I'll see if you're free in a couple three years!

Good luck this fall, and thanks for the help--

friar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
friar sorry but I am just a regular hunter and have no guiding license or business, so I would not be able to help you get a moose.

Good luck. Smiler

Here's a couple of more pics just to "tease" you a bit! Wink

Here's a shed antler that I picked up near my moose camp, this spring.

And here's a nice moose I got a couple years ago...

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Hello Demonical!

Just got back from a rafting & mission trip...a great time.

Those are some nice looking antlers--not sure if I'll do a full (not body) mount, or just have the "horns" done.

The horns by themselves might give the best look at the cabin--If I'm lucky and can shoot straight, that is!

Starting to count my chickens dancing

friar

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Sweet pics Demonical. Gets my blood pumping as all six of us in our moose camp group got drawn for bull moose in Early Season.

I personally would wait for the bull to turn more broadside or slight quarting away for the shot, then hit him behind the left front shoulder in the boiler maker- why hit the shoulder and loose the front quarters of meat, IMO. But sometimes you dont have the time to wait before the bull turns and runs away. Then good premium bullets (Accubonds, Partitions, TSX's, A-Frames) will do the job thru bone and into the organs.

My wife uses her Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds and it does the job superbly. Her first moose 2 years ago was a double lung, complete pass-thru penetration @ 325metres. The first shot was a kill shot and the bull stood and took 2-3 steps, but I did not want the bull to make it to the timber so I told her to shoot another- almost same spot.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gerhard.Delport:
Thats a nice rack.

Congrats.

I would have thought that the 270 Win would be a light caliber for moose even with 150gr bullets....

QUOTE]

Not if you put the bullet in the right place and use well constructed bullets.
I shot my Canadian Moose with one shot through the lungs using a Sako .270 Win. Moose ran 60 - 80 meters and that was that!

Having said that if you own larger calibres and are comfortable shooting them then certainly a larger calibre would be even better, but if you are confident in putting a well constructed bullet in the right place then the .270 is up to it - the question is are you?

By the way great pictures - well done!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Them are some great pics guys...

NRA Life Member
V.H.A. Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Posts: 8 | Location: Alexandria, Minnesota | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do all my hunting in the Yukon. Had a 270 for all my hunting until we had a wreck on a river. The 270 did everything I needed it to do. Yukon/Alaska moose, sheep, caribou.

Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
Here is a couple of pictures of a Moose I saw last hunting seson.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote