Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the best way to see Kruger? Hire a guide? Do it yourself? Is a week enough? What's the best time of year?

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krueger is huge, about twice as big a Yellowstone, and LONG not square. Has a lot of off the main trail roads, that lead to different sections, and lodges. You need to know where you want to be, etc. to get it done right. There's a museum to visit there, and really needs several hours to do right. A guide (not a guided tour necessarily) is probably more economical, as they'll have the vehicle and know the place and have reservations set up at the different lodges, etc..3 day about minimum, and then pretty much just driving through and looking. The more time you have the more you'll see. Various areas of the park different from other areas. I had expected savannah, but predominately brush, and some open areas. We spent 3 days in there. got lucky and saw 2 leopards, no Lions, not sure there are any there, several different Elephants, a herd of a 150 Buffalo crossing the road in front of us at one point (I counted them). Sure enlightened me to what the park about. Like I said, the more time you have to see it, the more areas of it you can get to see (we pretty much stayed on one long road, not much to either side)..There are other areas just outside the park to see, also.. A week would not be too much time. At the upper end, can shoot over into Mozambique, etc.. Pieter knows the area. We used him for our tour..

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What time of year were you there?

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Tysue, his protoge and I were there in August. I'm going to dig for some pictures of that specific tour before we started hunting.

Best time of year would be the drier months of June, July, August and September. October still if fine but starts to warm up considerably towards the end of October.

Tysue also elected to add a Battlefields tour where we visited the battle sites of Isandlawana and Rorkes Drift dating to 18 and 19 January 1879. This is where the British suffered the largest loss of soldiers against a non-firearm bearing opponent, and secondly, the most VC's were awarded to their own in any single battle in British military history.

Then of course we went hunting!

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be interested in the same type tour; Kruger / Battlefield in 2015. How can I get details, prices?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco, I spent a week last June in Kruger with son and grandsons,lots to see,June is dry and cooler,best to have a guide with his vehicle,he can show you more and knows where to go and you are in control...see if you can get ''Tinkers Gateway to Kruger,map & guide''...e-mail=andy@tinkers.co.za www.tinkers.co.za ...it is a great booklet with good park maps, camps ,and activities....I think it would help in your planning.

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks J for the advice.