New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Hunting Album
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The following pics are all from big game mainly in the Swan Hills area of west-central Alberta.
I apologize for the crappy-ness of pics, I was always a much better hunter than photographer.

In no particular chronological order, but dates when known.

Manyberries Ab, Bill B with my Antelope 1994?

Antelope from Manyberries area, SE Alberta. 2007.

My brother Jeff, on a Swan Hills moose hunt. Oct 1990.

< Brad, Jeff, Sheldon and Bob, with Brad's bull.

Jeff, Sheldon and Brad. 1990?

Goose Tower, NW of Swan Hills Ab., Sep 30 1992.

< Brad by trailer

'The Fighter'. Oct 7 1994. Shot at 15' as two big bulls were fighting right in front of me...

Brad, Jeff with P17 Enfield, older brother Bob and my Dad. Oct 5 1989. Hauling out Bob's moose.

Hauling out another bull moose. Oct 3 1989.

Dave, Bruce and Brad 1987. Moose racks L-R shot by me, middle Brad's bull and Dave's on the right.

Mule deer buck I shot. 1995?

Dave and I with our moose, Oct 1 1988.

Dave with his big bull, Oct 9 1986.

Moose camp shower...

Tag Alders and snow suck... Sep 21 1992.

Wall tent barrel stove

Nov 22 1996.

Whitetail buck, Anselmo Hall district SE of Whitecourt Ab. Oct 18 1998.

Whitetail Nov 8 1990.

Nov 28 1980, Swan Hills Ab.

< Dave with my buck.
Nov 19 1986, Swan Hills Whitetail.

Swan Hills moose camp, 1988? Before we wised up and got Wall Tents. My Dad.

Oct 1 1988.

Coutts R,. Swan Hills Ab, Oct 8 1986.

<Bruce and I with my bull.

Oct 4 1987.

Dave with his 1987 bull, absolutely ANCIENT monster bodied bull, rack is all messed up, he was in steep decline.
We were still setting up camp when it walked out right at camp...

Oct. 5 1998.

Sep 21 1992, me and Brad unloading ATV's to head to set up moose camp.

< Sheldon

< Rifle is a ZKK-602 in .416RM
Oct 2006 moose, Wallace Mtn area, Swan Hills Ab.

The infamous 'Newfie rack'. Shot in Swan Hills area by a Newfie hunter that said, "Ya can't eat the horns boy!" And he threw this in the bush.
Thankfully retrieved by a much smarter man...

Brother Jeff, Sept 1985.

Sep 1985.

"It was a big bull! Horns way out over his nose!" Brother Bob telling us about this bullwinkle, prior to actual recovery.

The Blizzard buck...

Dad, Sep 29 1989, Browning A-Bolt .30-06.

Oct 4 1994.

Brad Oct 4 1992, breaking camp.

Oct 5 1991, Brad's bull in the trailer.

Brad with the 'Pointblank Hip-Shot' bull, Oct 3 1996.

I shot this bull at approx 8' off the muzzle as it ran by me, just spun the rifle on my hip and fired into the point of his shoulder.

Windy L., mulie Nov 4 1995.

A couple of deer heads.

Nov 26 1981, Cythinia Ab.

Sep 23 1980 first bull moose, with German Shorthaired Pointer, 'Basil'.

Oct 1987 near the Coutts R., Swan Hills Ab.

Oct 5 1997 bow kill. Whitecourt Ab.

Triple drop-tine buck Nov 23 2017.

The Big 4x4 Nov 2018.

The Big 4x4 Nov 2019

The Big 4x4 Nov 23 2020.

Nov 18 2019.

2009 Whitetail. Brian's buck.

2009 Whitetail.

Nov 21 2007

Oct 1991.

< Sheldon

2009 moose.

Big grizzly... all grizzlies are big, haha.

Some moose racks...

2005 Whitetail.

Black bear June 4 2004.

May 21 2005, 6-1/2' Cinnamon phase black bear.

May 29 2010 black bear.

My little wife Darlene, out looking for spring bear.

A couple of huge moose racks I found...

Oct 2003.

2012 moose.

The trail out of camp, Oct 2012 moose hunt.

Many pics to follow... Jim Whaley.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Do you hunt the same camp, moose and deer season?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We only hunted out of a few moose camps, but deer were wherever.

I only hunt the big bush for deer, only 1 deer in these pics was shot on private farm land (yes I had permission of the land owner).

So when hunting in the big bush, you just hunt on whim and the sign.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics and memories

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Amazing pics.....are there any moose left after all that? Smiler

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
clap

Thank you kindly for sharing sir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36460 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bet the moose that was not shot when the two bulls were fighting thought he had landed the most vicious blow ever.

How do you compare moose meat with other meats? It was one of my favorites.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interest and replies.

@ carpetman...

I love moose meat! Very hard to beat. Lean, no fat at all. Nice texture, usually (but not always) nice flavour.
Kinda depends on how old/rutted up they are.

The story of those 2 bulls fighting is really something else.

Here's the deal.

Me and a buddy were hunting together, and he was assigned to do the calling on that particular hunt.
I was the 'point man', to try to intercept any bulls that might come in.

Brad was a good caller, and right away had a bull calling, grunting and coming in. But for whatever reason (likely a cow) it turned off, didn't come in.

So the trail we were on, I decided to take an amble down it, heading to the north, away from Brad and into the wind.
And I came out of this trail into this most incredible beautiful little valley, that angled away to the northwest (my left).
As moosey a looking spot at you'd ever see, and even though I wasn't supposed to I let out a cow call.

Instantly a bull answered down the valley, on the north side of it, like 500 yards away. And from his first grunt I knew he was coming in.
And it sounded like somebody was wrestling a sheet of plywood through the trees, the way he was coming, just pushing his rack through the trees.

And I knew he was coming right to me. Right from my first call and his first grunt.

But as I'm listening to him grunting, powering his rack through the poplar and willow, I'm looking down this valley and I got the idea that if I worked my way down there, I'd get a crack at him sooner, I figured I was going to get a shot at him across this narrow valley, as he came down toward me.
So I proceeded to pick my way down the south side of the valley hillside.

And then I saw the bull come out, at about 400 yards and I took the safety off.
I was so close to taking a shot, but realized the bull was still coming, and was smart enough to hold off shooting.

Keep in mind I hadn't made a single call since my first call, didn't have to, that bull was hell-bent to come in.

But I decided to get a bit further up the valley.

And that's when 2 bull moose suddenly came up from my right, and headed up hill moving right to left, up the steep valley hillside.

And as soon as they moved up there I said to heck with the first bull!

So I climbed up this stupidly steep Alder choked hillside, and made an awful noise climbing up it.
I heard all this racket up the hilltop above me and I thought I'd spooked those bulls away, I thought that was what I was hearing.

But I broke over the crest of the hillside, and those 2 bulls were fighting right in front of me!

The noise they made, the grunting and straining of muscle, the violence of the fight... just amazing to behold.
And these bulls were going back and forth right in front of me, bulldozing Spruce trees and everything in their path.

And they suddenly were hurtling right for me, when they abruptly stopped, like 20' in front of me.
If they had kept coming I don't know if I could have got out of their way, they were moving so fast.

And the most amazing thing was when they stopped it was like a mutual cease-fire, fight pause. They stopped facing each other, dropped their antlers together so they were just touching, and paused right there. Like they were gonna catch their breath before they resumed fighting.

But when they stopped, perfectly broadside like that, I literally went 'Eenie-Meenie-Minie-Moo'... and decided to take the bull on my left.

My shot was forward, so broke it's neck and floored the bull. Dropped right in it's tracks.

And as soon as he dropped the other bull was energized!
He was like, 'Ya! Just laid a whoopin' on you Chump!'
And that damn bull proceeded to put the blocks to the bull I had shot. Just pounding on it!

I was shooting a M-700 .338WM with 225gr Nosler Parts, and I only started with 3 rounds in the rifle, so had 2 left.

I yelled at this stupid belligerent moose, "Bugger off you damn idiot! The fight's over!"
And then, "F*@k off! I'll shoot you next you prick!"

It didn't seem like this bull was gonna stop beating on the dead bull.

So I decided I'd fire another shot to scare it off, and since I was gonna fire another round, I thought what the hell, I'm gonna mark this bull... I decided to put that shot through his right paddle.

And I did. Perfectly drilled a shot right through the center of his right paddle.
And it didn't fizz on that bull one bit!
I believe he started in on my dead bull with even more fervor!

Well now I was down to one round left in my rifle and I was starting to get a bit pissed off myself!
So I was yelling at this moose, "The next one's for you, you son-of-a-bitch!!"

Remember my buddy Brad?

Moments before I took the shot that dropped the bull I killed, the first bull that I had called, that had traveled all the way down the valley, was just about to step out of the trees in front of Brad!
Haha! Yep. Brad had also left the original position, had walked up the same trail to that little valley.
And he had no idea that I had called in that bull.
All he knew was there was a big bull grunting and coming out right to him (right to my original calling site).

Then the next thing he knows, right as that bull was stepping out, *Boom!*
He hears my .338WM... then me yelling... me yelling more... a second shot... *Boom!*
More yelling from me...

'His' big bull suddenly gone, at my shot. And he was worried that something had happened to me, like I had stumbled on a grizzly or something.

Back to me: after I'd fired the second shot through his rack and how ever long it was that he was beating on the dead bull moose, that fool moose finally lifted his head and looked at me.

Right at that moment I was vigorously reminding him that I was serious about shooting him too, when it was like he shook his head and saw me, then just suddenly spun around and raced away.

Epilogue: I always thought it would be amazing to find that shed anter with the bullet hole through it, but a year after that hunt a forest fire burned off all that country, right to the stumps.
I don't think there's any chance that antler could have survived that fire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats quite a story.

Lotta meat and horns there.

thanks for sharing them with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5937 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's quite a story.

Lotta meat and horns there.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Mad bulls can make a guy wonder while filling our panties.

We had a bull elk thrashing a bush right in
front of us backed into a hole and no way out.
They get so fired up, they can't tell or believe
it's man in front of them. Then once we do get their attention they just stand there trying to figure out wtf is going on.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5937 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Demonical--I googled White Court and Swan Hills and it looks like you do your hunting within 50 miles of where you live. Is that correct? If not how far do you travel to hunt?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote