New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arnhemland Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics Ben!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers, Mark!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal. Seems to be in absolutely top condition. Thanks for posting the images!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Bill. My pleasure. They are indeed in good condition, and for the most part will remain so. They seem to have a real knack for making a living and keeping condition right throughout the year. Even when the cattle start thinning out, they keep their weight for the most part. Different diet to the cattle. They seek out wetter feed. At the moment, the wet season has finished, the dry is beginning, and the fires are starting to burn-off the dead grass. This will bring succulent new growth to the surface.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ben, I think it would be a tremendous pleasure just to see and photograph these animals, much less hunt them. Do they make good table fare?
Also have to ask if you shot these photos with real black and white film. I miss the days of Plus-X and Tri-X and stop bath.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day Bill! Yes, they make for really good eating! Now, the local people are into cooking their meat as soon as they get it home - or sooner - and so they tend to target the younger ones, because they are soft and tender. The bigger ones have a reputation for being tough, and indeed they are. However, I pride myself on my ability to transform any buffalo meat into beautiful food, simply by letting it cool / rest for a week before freezing / cooking it, and by using my secret weapon: the slow cooker. With it, I make good curries, buffalo and beans chilli, stews or roasts. I absolutely love it!

No, the camera is pretty new and modern. It is a digital Leica V-Lux 3. It belongs to my girlfriend, and she bought it based on Ivan Carter's review here on AR. We're very pleased with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some great pics. Love the black and white presentation. My camera, as well as most newer ones, have the feature to turn most any photo taken to a B & W mode. I always forget to use the function it seems. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member?? For now!!
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures.

Thank you for sharing them with the group. Big Grin

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1570 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben:
When there's cull shoots. Does anyone gather up the meat? OR does it all go to waste as I've heard?
Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Ben:
When there's cull shoots. Does anyone gather up the meat? OR does it all go to waste as I've heard?
Thanks,
George

George, when I was there (Arnhemland) a few years ago, the native peoples did not care to eat mature buffalo. They would, however, come and pick up any wild cattle that had been shot. So the killed buffalo just fed the dingos and the buzzards. My hunt was for a couple of trophy bulls, not a cull.