Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona visit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I went to Arizona with family for two weeks in April. While I had been to the Grand Canyon before (and to Gunsite near Paulden) I have not really explored the state. With my brother recently relocated to Scottsdale I was able to combine a little tourism with family. The state has incredible scenery. This first shot was from our hotel in Sedona, called the Sky Ranch Lodge next to the Sedona airport. The lodge is also walking distance to one of nicest restaurants in Sedona, also with a fantastic view, at the airport called the Mesa Grill.

With my wife and daughters we rented ATVs and banged around on dirt trails in the Red Rocks area all around Sedona.

We went both north and south from Scottsdale. This one is from the Wukoki Pueblo at Wupatki National Monument a little north of Flagstaff.

Not everyone likes deserts as much as I do, but Southern Arizona has all the iconic desert views and flora. This is a shot from the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens towards Camelback Mountain.

As with my new approach to photography, these are with just one lens, the 28mm f1.8G Nikkor. It's much lighter and less cumbersome than a zoom, with better image quality (to my eye) than the zoom lenses I can afford.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago we had friends who moved to Arizona .They sent a subscription to the magazine "Arizona Highways" A magazine always filled with WOW photos .Yours reminded me of that . Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My back yard! Great photos.

I love the country surrounding Wupatki.

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country. Nice pics and thanks for sharing.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Magnificent as always.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There are some very strange cactus in Arizona.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

That is a chain cholla.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My family has been in Arizona since just after the Apache wars and I have watched our state's population explode beyond reason during my 80 years on this planet.

We have no scenery, our hunting and fishing is non-existant, there are no jobs, our food is terrible, and we are downright unfriendly to anyone from "back east" (anywhere east of El Paso) or California.

If you have been thinking about moving here, I suggest you instead consider New Mexico, the land of enchantment.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Gee Bill, every place has its problems. Yours may work out.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee Bill, every place has its problems. Yours may work out.

My rant was tongue in cheek, of course, but Arizona certainly was a much better place back when the population was only a million or so.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Wink:

My rant was tongue in cheek, of course, but Arizona certainly was a much better place back when the population was only a million or so.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

That is a chain cholla.

We have cholla in limited numbers here in the Mojave Desert. I hated those with a passion when we lived in New Mexico and Arizona as a kid.

Nice looking place you have there in Arizona. I'll pack up my junk and head over from California to look for a homestead.

Not everyone that lives in California is from California. Kern county is arguably more Republican than any county in Arizona.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
One from the Boot Hill cemetery. Apparently one should avoid irritating the people of Bisbee.

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Wonderful photography Wink. I envy people who have a nack for it. Sedona is a beautiful place.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough to beat the desert in the Spring for beauty. Trick is to be there at the right time.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Very nice William!

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wink, it is indeed a gorgeous state. I was in Phoenix a year ago for a memorial for my aunt, the last of her siblings to pass, at age 98. While there, we drove north and then east, and down in the Pleasant Valley War country where my grandfather ranched before and after World War I and where all my aunts and uncles were born. I had forgotten just how beautiful and diverse the landscapes of Arizona can be. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

You were really close to that Mexican lunch I spoke of earlier with the Boot Hill photos. I live 17 miles from Tombstone.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 15 miles north west of Prescott in Williamson Valley, just off the heel of Granite Mountain, an hours drive from where many of the above photos were taken.

Our place is northeast facing, with views all the way to Flagstaff, over 100 miles away.

The demographics of my neighborhood include deer, javelina, the occasional elk, quail, dove and pigeon you have to literally beat off the patio. There is an ass-kicking contest every afternoon between my two labs and a gang of 20 to 25 quail at the water trough in my yard.

Summer temps almost never go above 95. Winters bring about 3 inches of snow once or twice a week which usually melts by 2PM.

Here we are, almost in June, and at 5600 feet it's still cool enough for an evening fire in my cowboy cauldron out back.

Everybody has a house full of guns and while the wives trade recipes, the guys trade loads for their favorite cartridges.

Our trucks hold three things, dogs, guns, and golf clubs. Guys have been known to shoot a quail or two off the fairway........

Now if everyone else would just stay away.....

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Wink.

Your superb photos make me miss home so bad I can't describe Frowner

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Great photos! I love the scenery in Arizona, and especially the big thunderstorms once the monsoon season hits. I'm headed to Peoria and Glendale next week to coach baseball... Arizona isn't quite as nice when you're on a field and it's 115 degrees!

It'll be much nicer in September when I'm antelope hunting up in unit 10! dancing

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Although I took a ton of scenery pics, the best part for me was having daughters with a more than average sense of adventure doing it with me.

Like their mother, I think being born in Africa and raised in a bunch of different countries contributed to their eagerness to climb any mountain, hike any trail and camp in any wilderness.

One last one near Oak Creek in Sedona.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wink: More please.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Too many cactus pictures might spoil it for whomever's planning to go.

My wife on Devil's Bridge:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Typical street scene in Tombstone.

Picture of holysmoke
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures Wink. Makes me a little homesick!! I moved to Flag in 74. Spent many days at Red Rock crossing playing backgammon and enjoying a magnum bottle of Blue Nun while attending NAU. Currently spending time in Mobile Alabama taking care of aging Mother-n-law. Hope to be back there enjoying my friends and drier weather asap.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I guess I never posted my Monument Valley pics. I'll give it a try.

On the road from Mexican Hat.

My brother checking out the view.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink:

I've been by Monument Valley a couple hundred times on 160 and never had the chance to go check the area out as I was driving a semi loaded.

I see now why I felt it was a place I needed to go see. thank you, glad you had a great trip.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It's really too bad all the photos I posted that were hosted by photobucket have gone wonky. I'm too lazy to redo all of them through Imgur, at least for the time being.

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
very nice pictures, it is a great place to live

Posts: 318 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KWard:
very nice pictures, it is a great place to live

Indeed.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote