Find
Notify
Tools

Street photography in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
While most of us prepare/assume we will be doing some photography on an Africa trip, there is an emphasis on wildlife or scenic photography. Yet Africa offers a great venue for street photography as well, all too often overlooked. These are also selected from current "scanning-of-old-slides" exercise, so these are from Ouagadougou and Bobo Dioulasso in the 1982 to 1985 years.

Above is a witch doctor. Below is a legitimate snake oil salesman.

For the most part street photography is "whatever strikes your eye" snapshot photography, but it's not less of a souvenir than any other travel photography, and sometimes allows you to get back in time better than a picture of purely scenery. As I look at these slides, which had remained in a box all these years, I realize that the only personal time travel we have is to go back in time by looking at the pictures we took. I've still got my slides, which have a physical existence rather than virtual. I wonder if we'll be able to say that about our digital files 30 years from now.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Neat photos. The fellow selling "medical" potions certainly has a direct and to the point manner of advertising.

Mike

Posts: 21190 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Neat photos. The fellow selling "medical" potions certainly has a direct and to the point manner of advertising.

I never tried any of his remedies myself. I think his protesting may have been due to some copyrights on the advertizing I was blatantly ignoring.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I would find Pepto-Bismol commercials far more entertaining if they did steal some of his advertising. Would make some great billboards too.

Mike

Posts: 21190 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have always been hesitant about taking pictures of street scenes so as not to offend the locals. i don't want them to think i am taking pictures as if they are animals in a zoo. i have had occasion were the locals got upset and my photos were objected in no uncertain terms...now i generally ask if it is OK unless it is a scene of a large open air market.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
i have always been hesitant about taking pictures of street scenes so as not to offend the locals. i don't want them to think i am taking pictures as if they are animals in a zoo. i have had occasion were the locals got upset and my photos were objected in no uncertain terms...now i generally ask if it is OK unless it is a scene of a large open air market.

In my case I was a "local", in the sense that everybody knew who I was. This happens fast when a white guy moves into the neighborhood and stays for a few years. And in 1985 the Burkinabé were a pretty laid back bunch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Always good to see how the "other half" lives. Puts Life in perspective.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Awesome pics. What lens are you using to get the depth of focus in the earthen ware jars?

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Always good to see how the "other half" lives. Puts Life in perspective.

Grizz

How the other 90-95% lives is more like it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Wink,

Awesome pics. What lens are you using to get the depth of focus in the earthen ware jars?

K

It was a Nikkor 28mm lens on Nikon F3HP body, film was Kodachrome 64.

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Great pictures from the start Wink. Amazing how well they kept after all these years.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great photos! Yes always ask first and do your homework prior by checking out sites on "Country etiquettes" before your trip.
Paying to take photographs is also a bit contoversial, as there are opinions that this encourages begging..but some people earn a living being paid to have their photograph taken, so I suppose then it becomes a personal choice whether to pay or not to pay!
Most People, especially children,love to see their images, so if you can, show them the result. You too will have the added bonus of the memory created from their reaction. Something else I have done has been to print a selection of images and arrange to send on to the tour provider or guide for them to pass on to the subjects.