New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vise Recommendations (SOLVED!)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several bench vises of different sizes that my old man left me.

But the one i Use the most is a 5" articulating vise with a locking base. I cannot believe how much I use that little thing.. and I'm looking for another to put on or near my reloading bench.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at a Bridgeport Machinist vise that is often used on a vertical mill. They are precision items and are often available used. Expect to pay between $100 and $200 for a used one.
Not exactly as versatile as a typical bench vise but they are indestructible.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up one of these bright boys...its a great vise- very heavy and well built. Tyler has a good price on them: Tyler Tools

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Algona, WA | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still think that for a great G.P. vise that Wilton is hard to beat.I have several in my shop. When I was building my shop back in the dark ages I had a storage bld. up here + we were having a lot of break ins.Worried about someone stealing my Wilton (I bought from Snap On so you know it was over priced) I put it in a box among others + labeled the end "Photos from our vacation in Hawaii" NO ONE would steal that.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought this vise:

Capri Tools 10515 Ultimate Grip Forged Steel Bench Vise, 4"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this at the same time:

Vise Jaws - Nylon, Multipurpose - Use on any Metal Vise, Magnetic Reversible Pads, Clamp Flat or Round Products - Available in 4" or 6" (2 Sets in 1)

NYLON 4" Jaws will protect and hold any delicate product Flat or round on any Vise or Drill press

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far I rate them as excellent. I used the vise and pads, along with the receiver clamp, for the assembly of an AR15 upper.

XXX

Reality - resistance if futile

Posts: 19518 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yost.

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yost.

So, I looked up Yost 4" forged vise on Amazon and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Yost-FS...A3B1P2DHT9B21Z0Y4W1K

I read the description and some of the reviews.

I can't tell the difference comparing the Yost and the Capri except color and price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015...nch%20Vise%2C%204%22

They are both made in Taiwan.

There was a reason I chose the Capri and paid a little more, but I can't remember why now. I think it had to do with some of the reviews complaining that the jaws didn't line up on the Yost they received, and there were no such complaints on the Capri reviews. But now I think they are made at the same factory and painted different colors.

XXX

Posts: 19518 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really does depend on what you want to do with your vise. If you are going to do some beating on it get a big old Parker or Reed. If you are going to do some filing and more precision stuff get a Wilton Bullet Machinist vise.

I will say

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wilton Bullet Machinist vise

I consider Northern Tool to usually be reasonably priced. Here's a sample of the Wilton vise:

$569.99

https://www.northerntool.com/s...PtFCPBhoC5MwQAvD_BwE

Wilton Serrated Machinist Bench Vise — 3in. Jaw Width, Swivel Base, Model# 300S

Here's what they say about it:

Hardened steel jaw has replaceable inserts that are machine serrated for safe, sure grip under maximum torque
Extra deep throat gives you more working room where it counts
Enclosed design keeps lubrication in and contaminants out for smooth operation
Large anvil work surface
Locking swivel base with 360° rotation is enhanced by serrated swivel base with double lockdowns for nonslip holding

The Wilton Serrated Machinist Bench Vise is designed to handle the most demanding clamping applications. Unlike most vises that have a fixed center nut, the Machinist round channel vise nut is anchored at the rear, which provides straight line pull and even pressure resulting in greater durability. Round channel design also allows for a completely enclosed spindle and nut assembly that keeps debris out and lubrication in for a lifetime of smooth operation. Vise is equipped with high-strength steel replaceable main jaws and a machined anvil work surface. Also features a swivel base with dual locking nuts that allows for a full 360° of rotation. Both the locking nuts and base have serrated edges that interact positively to assure a nonslip grip when tightened. Main base has four precast holes for mounting the vise to a work surface. A mounting template is included for quick no-guess hole placement for mounting.

================================================

Note - nowhere is to be found the word "forged", but they do use the word "precast".

================================================

Here's one on ebay - used 4"

https://www.ebay.com/i/153344581356?chn=ps

there are a bunch of old vises on Ebay.

XXX

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good vises are among my vices.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is to buy the biggest one you can afford. This way when you have a heavy object your vice can actually hold it. I'd have to go out in the garage to get the name of the one that came out of a company scrap heap about 40 years ago. Completely striped it cleaned it and relubed it and painted it red. The newest one I have is a Wilton Made in the USA. Must weight about 80 pounds. That one will also end up on the workbench. I have a 5 ft section of 40mm antiaircraft barrel that someday will end up being a black powder cannon which now weight about 105 pounds so I'll need a strong vice. Frank

Posts: 175 | Registered: 16 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morgantown Superduty 4.5" on Amazon.

I have one from when they were sold as Craftsman Professional at Sears with aluminum jaws and a Morgantown with the original steel jaws. Same vise.

Not a Wilton but better than most.

Posts: 539 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marley7x57:
Yost.

+1. I have a 100 pound Yost vise on my reloading bench. It is made in the USA, but, unfortunately, it cost around $1000.00. It’s jaws open to over 6”. Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:
quote:
Originally posted by marley7x57:
Yost.

+1. I have a 100 pound Yost vise on my reloading bench. It is made in the USA, but, unfortunately, it cost around $1000.00. It’s jaws open to over 6”. Cheers. Chip.

A couple of photos:

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Rapid 100, Wilton 350 and Wheeler.

Use the Wilton more for everyday stuff. Use the Wheeler more for woodworking.

The Rapid is not mounted to the bench.

Posts: 6350 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post