New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vise Recommendations (SOLVED!)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe I started this thread almost three years ago, and you guys are going to be floored, but I have yet to actually buy a vise!!! I know, I know. I have been following along with everyone's recommendations and am finally ready to get one. We moved last summer, and I finally have a dedicated shop area with a suitable bench on which I can mount one of these monsters.

I've been scouring our local Craigslist ads, and there are actually quite a few folks in the area who sell old, reconditioned vises for fair prices. I don't have any need or desire to spend $400 on a Wilton or a Yost, but an olde tyme Craftsman would fit the bill.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main vise is an old English RECORD with swiveling base. Sheathed the jaws with 1/8" lead sheet. It's been going for about 75 years.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After much (much) work and searching, I was able to find a virtually-new, made in USA Craftsman vise at a very sweet price. A little light cleaning, oiling, and mounting to my bench, and I'm in business for the rest of my life. Score!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time understanding the need for A vise. Here's some shop pictures of my setup: Main gun work area: 5 vises; panavise, Wilton rotating patternmakers vise, 2 Versa vises (one each jaw configuration) and a 6 1/2" Wilton. The Versavises have neoprene rubber jaws and get the most gun use.

Garage workbench, one each woodworking and 4 1/2" Columbian general purpose vise:

free image hosting
General purpose shop: 2 woodworking on movable bench and 4" Wilton on layout table:

free image hosting

There's a 3 1/2" Morgan on a heavy stand in the welding area.

I know I have a couple smaller vises also, not permanently mounted on a workbench area.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post