Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Case annealer
 Login/Join

posted
Here is a bunch of info on making your own case annealer, see info here, long reads etc.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6...nealing_Machine.html

http://68forums.com/forums/sho...ht=Annealing+machine

Tia,
Don

Posts: 19 | Location: Western NV | Registered: 19 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's neat, but it sure complicates a simple job.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still liking a candle

It's the hunt, not the kill

Posts: 17 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gammill:
Still liking a candle

I've gone high tech with a propane torch.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a gent who uses a propane torch and holds the base of the case until it get too hot and drops it and apparently it works..He said you can't get it too hot..?????????

How do you guys do the candle and propane torch annealing..???

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you're holding the neck/shoulder area in a low to medium flame you turn/spin the case and drop it as mentioned. You can tell if you annealed it as that portion will have a different color when finished. Works good for me and never had a problem doing it that way.

The method where you stand a deprimed case in water to a safe depth and heat the expose part red and knock them over anneals them too dead soft and then you have shoot and reload them to get them to proper hardness.

Posts: 662 | Registered: 15 May 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, did you ever get that motorized annealer I gave you to operate correctly?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoreBS:

Just finished this one.

It is gear drive, so that there is only one motor and no timing problems.

Have only made short tests, but works ok!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

Posts: 404 | Registered: 15 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just get an Annealing Made Perfect annealer. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks it was a waste of money. There is no way a flame or candle is as consistent, to say nothing of the time.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Just get an Annealing Made Perfect annealer. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks it was a waste of money. There is no way a flame or candle is as consistent, to say nothing of the time.

This DIY, sure it is a GREAT Annealer!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

Posts: 404 | Registered: 15 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find a Lyman lead pot full of my next batch of bullets makes an ideal case neck annealing setup.

Posts: 8 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just finished this one.

It is gear drive, so that there is only one motor and no timing problems.

Have only made short tests, but works ok!

Man - that is cool. I could see someone making one of these out of legos robotics, just need to find a way to isolate the heat part

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
A company named Little Crow makes a metal cylinder with a stem that fits into a hand drill of any sort,turns the case at whatever speed you want and you use your chosen torch on the should and neck that sticks our the cylander, pull the heated case out ( I use tweezer) and drop the case on a towel..cheap and easy to use, the cylinders are about $15.00 per caliber, but they work in several calibers such as 30-06 and works for all 06 cases, all belted mags are the same..

A neat set up for doing a 100 cases or so..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I made a few of those, before I knew about Little Crow. They really work and are sure as hell worth 15 bucks. I also made a wood stand to hold the torch at an angle, it is handy. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Ray, I made a few of those, before I knew about Little Crow. They really work and are sure as hell worth 15 bucks. I also made a wood stand to hold the torch at an angle, it is handy. Brian

Same here, made up my own case holders to go in electric drill. Image below of my setup with 404 case in holder. I just pick up the drill and tip the annealed case into a pot of water and slip another case into the holder.
Quenching in water does nothing for annealing the brass but just a practice to prevent hot cases rolling around on the bench or inadvertently picking up a hot one.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post