New
Find
Notify
Tools

re-filling a down sleeping bag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to replace the down in a sleeping bag with synthetic material. Where are some sources of synthetic insulation materials for sleeping bags? Thank you.

Posts: 363 | Registered: 08 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about any textile store has polyester insulation material. Used for stuffing quilts, pillows etc. Try there.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds easier to just buy another bag. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id buy another bag, Why would you do that, down is about the best bag insulation I know of when used with a light canvas cover..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could buy a bed comforter, fold it in half, and sew the bottom and side. It can be one selected for size based on a single bed or all the way up to a king size. The comforters get real price cuts in the spring.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't help but wonder...WHY? I recently bought a bag from Bass Pro. Light canvas cover. rated to 20 degrees, about $100.00...Made in China! Surprise surprise

Have to admit, pretty darn good bag, heavy, not for backpacking. I don't think you could re fill for that money

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it’s anything approaching a decent bag it probably has baffles sewn in it to prevent down migration. Meaning you’ll never be able to fill those baffles unless you cut them open.

Way too many great bags for good prices out there. I’ve used LL Bean down bags for almost 30 years now, they have synthetic bags too.

Posts: 7772 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a over size Eddie BAuer and a woods that Ive had and used hard for maybe 60 or 70 year, still good in there canvas cover I design with pockets for every thing imageable. Not for backpacking but great in a tent in the high country base camp..or on a branding. my now 65 year old son and his buddy went camping about 55 years ago and left some gear and and Bauer sleeping bag, the best quality on a railroad track ,train came by cut it in half..Any way sent it to Bauer to sew up, they sent me a new one which I still have, and saved a childs life!

Had another incident with a hunter who just graduated guide school made the mistake of tieing his down sleeping bag behind his saddle as he forgot to pack it on the pack horse..about an hour or so later it came untied on one end flopped down on one side and his mule started bucking and stuckk a foot through the bage bucked the little buckaroo off an headed back down the trail down floating a trail behind him..the kid said damn Mr.Atkinson you don't see a sight like that very often. Nope and you wont see a guide sleeping in the kitchen tent in his clothes!! His company woudn't even reply last I heard//

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post