New
Find
Notify
Tools

Container Store Gun Rack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recycled some Scandia shelves from the Container Store that I had for years. I've had an 8x10 storm room under my slab since we built our house. I kept my guns in a safe down there and had a key coded deadbolt up top as the safe overflowed.

Well, I added a vault door on the room earlier this year and decided to display my rifles, but didn't want to hassle with an expensive setup, especially since this is under the house and also my reloading room.

I took 2 Scandia shelves and drilled 12 3" offset holes in each - 6 front, 6 back. I'm adding some foam rubber tomorrow for the rifles to rest on. This sure beats the old plastic shelves I had prior.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very cool. nicely done.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow - you have a basement in Austin! Must be a custom or older home. How are you handling humidity?
I have a friend who has 6 large safes in his gun room.
His dedicated AC unit does not run long enough to dehumidify. (the wall AC unit may be to big)
Evan with the heat sticks in the safes - his rifles are surface rusting--- and he is freaking out. his next step is to vent the room to the rest of the house.
Kaprota

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very dry

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
That would not be dry if it were here.Is that the building's foundation?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - part of the foundation. It goes below the main slab. 1 foot thick walls with rebar with rubber sprayed on the outside and then foamed before being backfilled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post