New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Case dryer ideas.............
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for ideas to build a DIY case dryer. Does anyone have a design they'd share? Thanks.

Posts: 378 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Food dehydrator

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the brass on a sheet pan and put it in an oven.
Set the temp at 220 and turn it on.
When it reaches 220, turn it off and wait a few minutes and it's done.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
winter time -- wash the cases , put them into a collandor , put collandor on top of woodstove !

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the fan from a discarded office machine. These are normally 4-6 inches square. Place them resting atop the inverted, wet, and de-primed cases and they dry in a half your. There should be such an item available for free in a dumpster near you.

Posts: 1 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 19 October 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot air popcorn popper. I've been using one for years. I don't understand why anyone uses anything else. No modifications necessary for 9mm to .460 Wby - that I've tried so far. $20 and you can have a batch of 20 to 40+ cases dry in less than 30 seconds.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of ways to do this. Some of mine...

++Use the oven idea above. Works well. Might irritate wife.

++Cases in a dark surfaced pan. Out in the summer sunlight. Solar Dehydration.

++Rescue old electric griddle Wife is discarding after she bought a new one. Cases on the griddle surface upright or prone. Use minimum control setting [Mine was 175 F.] A light timer helps shut it off promptly.

all of the above worked for me. Helps if you shake the cases of water droplets first.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snyper:
Put the brass on a sheet pan and put it in an oven.
Set the temp at 220 and turn it on.
When it reaches 220, turn it off and wait a few minutes and it's done.

X2 tu2 dancing

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used two coffee cans. Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of one.
Cut a hole near the bottom of the other one big enough to put a blow dryer in. Tape the one with the perforated bottom onto the top of the other one and stick the hair dryer into it.

Posts: 690 | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pan on top of the woodstove works well.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
A collander rather than a pan is faster .

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently put a bunch of brass in a 200 degree oven and they tarnished quickly after a day or so. Now I just shake 'em out and leave in the garage for a week or so.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 29 November 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most newer clothes dryers have a shelf that fits in the drum for the wife to lay their knit sweaters on...

Probably shouldn't let them see, but drying brass spread out on a tray or in reloading blocks is a good second use for them.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great ideas here. Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now have a toaster oven that goes down to 85 degrees with an air fry function. The air fry tray is perfect for this.
https://www.breville.com/us/en...ts/ovens/bov900.html

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post